Polished Concrete Effect For Exterior Walls

Nirvana

Hi Forum Members

I am considering to build a bar in back garden with a second floor additional bedroom. Roughly about 5.5 metres long by 6 metres wide.

I quite like the way this polished concrete looks or I have called it marble finish, but have really only seen it used on floors.

My intention was to do the exterior of bar walls like this but I have conflicting opinions from a few builders. One is saying it only lasts a short time and then cracks terribly and if you paint it over you get a basketball type finish which sounds lousy.

Others have said it is ok and will last the test of time. The building would be in south of Thailand and for sure alot of sun plus usual rainy seasons.

Does anyone have any ideas/ suggestions.? I wanted to somehow go for a modern effect, but with a nice roof to blend nicely into trees which are a plenty. It would be very open with large bar top area / bi fold doors etc.

help appreciated

I know the finish you are talking about, but only seen it used on floors (commercial floors, like banks, etc). I wanted to do that kind of finish on our residence, but my wife was dead against it.

One big problem I can forsee. I believe they could not get the thickness of the concrete on the walls that would be required to prevent cracking. And also, I believe they use a buffing machine (like buffing/cleaning floors) to get the extremely smooth surfaces and make them shine. I don't know how they would do that on walls. It would take alot of hand polishing and maybe difficult to get that perfectly smooth finish without any waves in it.

I'd be curious to see how it looks if you have it done. Could you send me a photo if it works.

Good Luck.

The polished concrete finish is as the name suggested - finished surface of ready mix concrete of a structure. Can be found on structural floors, shear walls and columns. It cannot be achieved with wall plaster.

Such a finish should not be use in wet or humid areas due to porosity of this surface promoting growth of mould or algae.

Edited by trogers

The polished concrete finish is as the name suggested - finished surface of ready mix concrete of a structure. Can be found on structural floors, shear walls and columns. It cannot be achieved with wall plaster.

Such a finish should not be use in wet or humid areas due to porosity of this surface promoting growth of mould or algae.

Hi Trogers and all

believe best to compromise, will do interior walls of bar and under bar top outside with this polished concrete effect and the rest (all exterior walls) will render and paint as usual, (thickness 10 mm ok?)

Just another question, I have seen construction using the smaller red bricks for walls exterior and enterior but am wondering what the rule of thumb is here ? To use red bricks or the breeze block types in between coloumns for exterior walls and what thickness.??

Is there really a great difference in tropics, cost wise it is not a huge amount. Coming from colder climates we tend always to go for thicker walls.

thks and appreciate your comments

Hi Trogers and all

believe best to compromise, will do interior walls of bar and under bar top outside with this polished concrete effect and the rest (all exterior walls) will render and paint as usual, (thickness 10 mm ok?)

You can't polish plaster. But you can use viva boards to simulate a similar effect. Viva boards come in 4x8 feet, 10mm thick. Cut to panels of your liking, paint on 2 coats of clear lacquer and mount on to plastered wall.

Just another question, I have seen construction using the smaller red bricks for walls exterior and enterior but am wondering what the rule of thumb is here ? To use red bricks or the breeze block types in between coloumns for exterior walls and what thickness.??

Is there really a great difference in tropics, cost wise it is not a huge amount. Coming from colder climates we tend always to go for thicker walls.

Small red bricks in Thailand are standard for non-load bearing walls. Overall thickness of finished wall will be 80-90mm = brick + 20mm plaster both sides.