Change Of Visa From Non-0(thai Wife) To Non-o-a (retirement)

One trip for Type O Visa is not true. With a type O visa yearly, you must get your visa renewed. Every 90 days you must get an extension stamp. This must (now) be done at the Immigration office that your home is registered near. For example; My home registration is Hua Hin, I get my stamp from the Singkhon Immigration office. This is the office for (Changwat) Prachuap Khirikhan. Fortunately for me the location is in Hua Hin.

Excuse me, but just to clarify , surely the 90 day check-in is NOT to get an 'extension stamp' in the way you apply yearly. You've already got your yearly visa, but a requirement of having that is that you notify Immigration of where you're living every 90 days. It's a formality, more red tape really. Maybe a hassle now with the change about reporting to your Immigration Office local to your home?

I WAS staying in Phuket, but had a Nong Khai issued visa as my family home in Udon. Would that have meant I had to make a long journey every 90 days for a simple notification?

Looks like Lite Beer just beat me to it!

I have copied a quote from a previous posting that purports to be an approved translation of the original immigration advice...

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

No “approved translation” exists. The translation from which you quote is incorrect.

In Police Order 777/2551 it says the following:

post-21260-1237106256_thumb.png

The correct translation is as follows:

post-21260-1237106968_thumb.png

--

Maestro

There is confusion about the amount of money :

The original question by RonThailand assumes 800.000 Baht in the bank

Peterpop writes : 400.000 in the bank or 40.000 a month

Do the experts agree that the amounts as written by Peterpop are correct?

That's a question I will need answering...

If you want to apply for an extension based on marriage (to a Non Immigrant multi entry visa), do you apply

*30 days before the visa actually expires

or

*within the final 30 days of your current 'permitted to stay stamp'?

My multi visa expires on 3 August, and my current 'permitted to stay' is on 7 June. Can I apply in May, or do I have to do another border run on 7 June and THEN apply near to the expiration date?

Thanks for any input.

Edited by jamesjdaly

Do don’t have to do another border run. You can apply for your extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90-day permissions to stay you get with your multiple-entry non-O visa.

--

Maestro

When i initially changed from marriage to retirement, i was asked to take photo copies ( only ) of the house papers and a copy of my wifes I.D. card. , with her signature on both copies.

I enquire prior to extending or what ever on the last ninety day visit before hand and then keep an eye on this forum for any late changes from members who have just renewed theirs.

This was at Nong Khai 2 years ago and in all the time i have been dealing with them over several years, i have always had polite and helpful service.

Respect the office they represent, follow the rules and it is usually reciprocated from my experience.

If someone gives you a hard time, smile outwardly and don,t get worked up as this can only create counter productive negativety.

Thank you

Edited by sheff_mick

I also enquired to 2 of Thailand's 'top' legal firms (well-known names to TVers but will not divulge the names). They both said that I must extend 30 days before the EXPIRY date and not the current 'permitted to stay until' date.

What to do, what to do?!!

Has anyone actually applied for/have first hand knowledge of an extension long before the visa expires?

Maestro and LB, are you presuming or did you actually do it?

Thanks. Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial (again!!!)

PS I'll be applying at Suan Plu, Bangkok

Edited by jamesjdaly

Does anyone have any experience or expertise in changing a NON-O Visa (Married to a Thai National) to a NON-O-A (Retirement Visa) within Thailand?

I have had a NON-O Visa (Married to a Thai National) for the last 5 years, of which I have made dual trips to procure each year (1 trip to make the application...the 2nd to get the acceptance stamp)....Now that the immigration offices have changed and the distance is even further than the 175 kilometers I previously traveled (twice for each renewal anniversary date), I am pondering the option of a change to a RETIREMENT VISA as it requires only 1 short visit to the immigration office each year.

It is my understanding that the requirements (printed in Thai and English from my immigration office) state: NEEDED:

1. Application Form TM-7 with one photograph (4x6 cm)

2. Passport and a certified true copy of such.

3. Application Fee of 1900 Baht

4. Account Deposit in a Thailand Bank of not less than 800,000 Baht (for 3 months or longer)

(OR):

Income from Pension/Social Welfare or combination of not less than 65,000 Baht per Month (certified letter of income required from applicants embassy)

(OR)

A combination of Account Deposit and Pension/Social Welfare payment equal 800,000 Baht annually.

Can this change be made within Thailand as opposed to traveling back my home country?

i think you can apply easily enough for a retirement visa. but if you are married to a Thai you need only 400k or 40k monthly income for same.

I also enquired to 2 of Thailand's 'top' legal firms (well-known names to TVers but will not divulge the names). They both said that I must extend 30 days before the EXPIRY date and not the current 'permitted to stay until' date.

What to do, what to do?!!

Has anyone actually applied for/have first hand knowledge of an extension long before the visa expires?

Maestro and LB, are you presuming or did you actually do it?

Thanks. Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial (again!!!)

PS I'll be applying at Suan Plu, Bangkok

It always has been in the last 30 days of any permission to stay and not been limited to the last permission to stay. Never heard of some one being denied an extension because they were not in the last 30 days before the expiry date.

i think you can apply easily enough for a retirement visa. but if you are married to a Thai you need only 400k or 40k monthly income for same.

I think he knows that, but wants to revert to an extension based on retirement as that would be less trouble. Less documents are needed and he would only have to go once, were based on marriage you have to go to immigraiton twice.

They both said that I must extend 30 days before the EXPIRY date and not the current 'permitted to stay until' date........Has anyone actually applied for/have first hand knowledge of an extension long before the visa expires?

EXPIRY date of what? Visa expiration dates are irrelevant. Only relevant is the expiration date of your 'extension of/permitted to stay stamp.

Most here have visas that expired mucho years ago. So, the only expiration date you worry about is the expiration date of your last 'extension of stay' stamp. Officially, annual renewal of this stamp is to take place 30 days before expiration. However, if this would be problematic, many reports have shown Immigration will allow earlier renewal if you can show a reasonable excuse (like, an airline ticket showing you'll be out of the country). I've never seen *any* report saying renewals have been denied because 'you're too close to expiration date.'

If you're hearing that "two of Thailand's top law firms" are saying you must renew at least 30 days before expiration of your 'extension of stay,' you're hearing wrong -- or this new rule would have hit the news big time.

And, the same criteria applies even if this is your initial application for an extension of stay. In this case, it is based on the expiration of your 'permitted to stay' stamp -- but not the expiration of your visa (which, again, is irrelevant).

Edited by JimGant

They both said that I must extend 30 days before the EXPIRY date and not the current 'permitted to stay until' date........Has anyone actually applied for/have first hand knowledge of an extension long before the visa expires?

EXPIRY date of what? Visa expiration dates are irrelevant. Only relevant is the expiration date of your 'extension of/permitted to stay stamp.

Most here have visas that expired mucho years ago. So, the only expiration date you worry about is the expiration date of your last 'extension of stay' stamp. Officially, annual renewal of this stamp is to take place 30 days before expiration. However, if this would be problematic, many reports have shown Immigration will allow earlier renewal if you can show a reasonable excuse (like, an airline ticket showing you'll be out of the country). I've never seen *any* report saying renewals have been denied because 'you're too close to expiration date.'

If you're hearing that "two of Thailand's top law firms" are saying you must renew at least 30 days before expiration of your 'extension of stay,' you're hearing wrong -- or this new rule would have hit the news big time.

And, the same criteria applies even if this is your initial application for an extension of stay. In this case, it is based on the expiration of your 'permitted to stay' stamp -- but not the expiration of your visa (which, again, is irrelevant).

Hi Jim

You're reading this the wrong way. Although I have been here for donkey's years (mostly Non B extensions done by companies), this will be my first application for an extension based on marriage. You see, my multi entry visa (there is no extension.....yet) expires in August. The top law firms replied to my e-mail, so I didn't hear it on the grapevine.

I am not renewing an extension, I am applying for one.

Edited by jamesjdaly

it is based on the expiration of your 'permitted to stay' stamp -- but not the expiration of your visa (which, again, is irrelevant).

I think readers will agree that expiry dates are expiry dates and not fictitious after the event too late irrelevancies. Most offices will show penalties for failing to comply with the expiry dates. An extension by definition extends the expiry dates beyond the original (visa).

Some paperwork takes ages and the applicant is advised to apply early especially if using agents ( such as official /legal Bangkok supereagles) who dont want to be pressured to work faster than their normal speed.

I have found many Thais imply an immediacy and proceedure that is actually incorrect but used just to get the slow coaches off their asses.

I think readers will agree that expiry dates are expiry dates and not fictitious after the event too late irrelevancies. Most offices will show penalties for failing to comply with the expiry dates. An extension by definition extends the expiry dates beyond the original (visa).

Some paperwork takes ages and the applicant is advised to apply early especially if using agents ( such as official /legal Bangkok supereagles) who dont want to be pressured to work faster than their normal speed.

I have found many Thais imply an immediacy and proceedure that is actually incorrect but used just to get the slow coaches off their asses.

A visa and a permission to stay are 2 different things. AS visa is nothing more then a permit to come to Thailand and ask for permission to enter. Nothing more. It is not a permission to enter and you can still be denied entry, visa or not.

When you do get permission to enter it is this permission to stay you can extend, not your visa. It is also why you can have a valid permission to stay after your visa has expired.

This is beating around the bush, the visa, retirement has an expiry date, if I submit and get approved an extension for one more year, then the visa has another expiry date. Whats the diff between that expiry date and a "permission to stay expiry date"? aren' t they one and the same?

Anyway, I was told by immigration at Mae Sai that I needed to apply for the extension not less than 30 days prior to expiration AND they wouldn't take the application the 85 days prior to expiration which I asked them to do. One immigartion guy wanted to make arrangements to let me apply 2 weeks prior to expiry but the head person wouldn't let him.

I am unable to PM the OP, who joined four years ago, but one factor that has not been mentioned is that Immigration may require wife to sign paperwork that she understands on a change from Marriage extension of stay to Retirement (the first time). Would not want him to have to make an extra trip. This was required at Bangkok several years ago and two Captains confirmed the requirement.