American Doctor Seeking Volunteer Work

Hello,

I am posting on my behalf of my father who is a US board certified orthopedic surgeon and was a professor of medicine in the states as well as having a private practice. He is a vigorous 75 years old and would like to retire to thailand and be close to my family and still keep one of his lifes joys, taking care of patients. He would like the opportunity to do some volunteer work here in Thailand or see patients at clinics, he does this already as a volunteer in America. He aslo worked as a clinical professor at UC california and has an extensive C.V. He is a very well respected member of his medical community back home.

Does anybody here have any experience or advice, if you can point me in the rigt direction i would appreciate it. It seems the regulations as far falang doctors are fluctuating and vague from my research, so any help would be much appreciated, he just wants to do some good a few days a week and isn't ready to totally retire as long as he can lend a hand and be productive.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Would he be considered a doctor at all?

A Thai doctor coming to the US is nothing, won't be let come close to practicing, voluntary or not.

I know of one doctor in Canada - she is required to pass almost entire University again, she managed to become an assistant nurse, helping with immobile elderly in a nursing home.

Google it, you may find things like this:

For example, in Thailand, foreign doctors must take a Thai language exam (which few have ever passed) and undergo a registration process that can take approximately two years.

Jordan,

Its great that your father would still like to volunteer in his free time after retirement. I would recomend contacting "Sheryl", she is one of the Moderators. You can send her a personal message or if you post in the "Health, Body and Medicine" forum, she is sure to see it.

She works for an organization that helps Cambodians travel to Thailand to receive the medical attention that they can not get in Cambodia.

She is really nice and may be able to help your dad.

Jordan,

Its great that your father would still like to volunteer in his free time after retirement. I would recomend contacting "Sheryl", she is one of the Moderators. You can send her a personal message or if you post in the "Health, Body and Medicine" forum, she is sure to see it.

She works for an organization that helps Cambodians travel to Thailand to receive the medical attention that they can not get in Cambodia.

She is really nice and may be able to help your dad.

Bump.

Our resident doctor may have missed this post.

^^^^ ^^^^ Translation please!

I am not a doctor but this matter does not really need one to answer.

The same person in Australia would not be allowed to practice, volunteer, money or no money. Even if he is coming from America.

In short, the doc would need the licence (almost impossible to get, he would know what US does to foreign doctors) + working visa.

Quite a childish and naive post by the OP.

IMO, forget it.

Would he be considered a doctor at all?

A Thai doctor coming to the US is nothing, won't be let come close to practicing, voluntary or not.

I know of one doctor in Canada - she is required to pass almost entire University again, she managed to become an assistant nurse, helping with immobile elderly in a nursing home.

Google it, you may find things like this:

For example, in Thailand, foreign doctors must take a Thai language exam (which few have ever passed) and undergo a registration process that can take approximately two years.

I was told I could not practice audiology in Thailand because I am not a doctor/physician..... No kidding, and niether are the audiologist in Thailand.... they have at best a MS degree and most have a BS degree... (there is only 20 of them)

As for me I have a doctorate degree.... but according to Thailand.... I don't qualify.... What a place!

^^^ ^^^ So, how do MSF & other NGOs get around this?

BTW, "Think too Little", it was typical of your shitty attitude on Thai Visa to insult a new member by calling him

"childish & naive." Partner left you?

Your avatar sums you up so well!

Well done! :o

BTW, "Think too Little", it was typical of your shitty attitude on Thai Visa to insult a new member by calling him

Well done!

At least I said something in the discussion's direction.

What did you say, clueless? America and their doctors probably invented bans on foreign trained doctors, now they are here to work at will and for fun in Thailand? Would they bring glass pearls to give to the primitives? Who is being insulted here with such an attitude?

For NGOs and MSF - it is a very complicated procedure, applies only to disaster declared or for needs approved by UN or similar. Requires an invitation from the recepient government.

Governments may use and abuse it any way they want. Think of Burma's typhoon that killed 100s of thousands and only 10s of doctors were allowed in.

Not only Burma and Sudan get away with it. In the wake of hurricane Katrina, Lousiana lifted restrictions on foreign doctors but reinstated them only 2 weeks later, in full swing.

Well done! :o

Listen, my country man.

The resident doctor has been called twice to comment. She did respond by - not responding.

Not that she has disappeared - she just commentend in the Chiang Mai forum, nothing medical, just about bar closure times.

After her being called at last twice - no saussage - it is open for anyone, even amateurs like me to say what we know.

And you said nothing, just got angry with my response.