How Do Most Of The Tatooed Types Make A Living Here?

Junglejumbo

I hail from the largest Polynesian city in the world(population wise), not to mention the country's indigenous Maori race...tattoo is an integral part of their cultures.

Tattoo is also an integral part of the Thai culture.

...rather some aspects of Buddhism here. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hail from the largest Polynesian city in the world(population wise), not to mention the country's indigenous Maori race...tattoo is an integral part of their cultures.

Please enlarge, about 95% of the thai people I know have no tattoos, I dont know if it is still the case, but a few years ago anyone with tattoos was barred from the government sector.

Whether I agree with it or not, appearance counts for everything in Thailand.

When was the last time you saw a person who deals with the public ( non bar scene ) with tattoos, such as a bank employee.

Tattoos may be an integral part of a certain element of thai society, but I wouldnt go so far to say they play an integral part of Thai culture.

I'm with Hank Hill. When I see tattoos I just think that at some point in that persons life they weren't thinking straight.

Nowadays it simply is fashion for most of them. On the beach destinations one gets the impression, that every second male has at least one. Something to impress others, 'cause tattoos still have "some kind of a wild touch inherent".

Please enlarge, about 95% of the thai people I know have no tattoos, I dont know if it is still the case, but a few years ago anyone with tattoos was barred from the government sector.

When was the last time you saw a person who deals with the public ( non bar scene ) with tattoos, such as a bank employee.

Tattoos may be an integral part of a certain element of thai society, but I wouldnt go so far to say they play an integral part of Thai culture.

I don't hang around bars. I live in a small village where 8 or 9 men (farmers) out of 10 are tattooed (ritual tattoos). Defintitely part of their culture.

Now considering that 70% of the population are rural dwellers, I'm probably not far off the mark when I say that it's an integral part of their culture.

Edited by adjan jb

Oh, please. Most people who have tattoo's have them in such a place that they are not seen in a professional environment.

I don't hang around bars. I live in a small village where 8 or 9 men (farmers) out of 10 are tattooed (ritual tattoos). Defintitely part of their culture.

Now considering that 70% of the population are rural dwellers, I'm probably not far off the mark.

Agreed, the same where I live, in fact I was swimming the other day and there was a 12 year old kid there with buddhist tattoos on his back and arms. Also at my local temple of the 5 full time monks in residence only one doesn't have tattoos.

I think most guys over 40 with a shaved head or # 1 do it because it looks better than a comb over. Tough stickers are another matter, they used to be for the servicemen, bikies and crims now they are fashion accessories worn by anyone including most chicks.

I also wonder about guys under 50. How can they stay there without a retirement visa? I would like to know so I can do it.

I also wonder about guys under 50. How can they stay there without a retirement visa?

Some work/some are married/Some are professional tourists/Some come and go/etc.

Plenty of options.

We are talking about the non working single guys in their 40's that just stay there. We have all seen plenty of them.

Professional tourists? is there such a visa? I want one.

Some come and go. Yes but we are talking about the ones that just stay year after year.

Plenty of options? Apart from marriage which I have managed to sucessfully avoid in my own country and have no desire to go down that track anywhere else.

So what are the plenty of options? I am considering the thai language school for $30K but please tell me if there is any other way.

I also wonder about guys under 50. How can they stay there without a retirement visa?

Some work/some are married/Some are professional tourists/Some come and go/etc.

Plenty of options.

I am considering the thai language school for $30K but please tell me if there is any other way.

Get a job... :o:D

Edited by adjan jb

Disability check for british males and germans who sold their saussage factory are 97% of what you described in thailand.

As far as people doubting that someone under 50 can survive in thailand

An african kid that cant read could make 50k baht a month with computer/internet with minimal guidance, if you cant figure out a way to get yourself a salary while in thailand outside of a retirement fund, you're just part of the unimaginative/plain part of mankind and should just drop the subject instead of embarassing yourself by thinking out loud that you're the only worthy human being because you worked 50years in shitjobs to be able to bang 35yo relaxation therapist for money for the next 10years

im 23 i own a condo i can afford better than singha wife beaters and ive never worked more than 40hours a month in thailand, i know at least 25 person that are the same. some way younger.

Yeah right, and I'm a 21 y.o. multi billionaire who owns an island off Scotland for the summer months, a large private resort in the Maldives for the winter and a small pied-a-terre in Phuket for when I need a little R&R. :o

I also wonder about guys under 50. How can they stay there without a retirement visa? I would like to know so I can do it.

Get a job... :D

Could be they are visa overstayers, with a maximum fine of 20 kBaht that is a good way to stay provided you can keep below the radar.

Could be they are only children who inherited a reasonable pile in Kensington when mummy and daddy popped their clogs.

Or they could be 23 y.o. dream merchants.

im 23 i own a condo i can afford better than singha wife beaters and ive never worked more than 40hours a month in thailand, i know at least 25 person that are the same. some way younger.

This is the internet.... you can be what you want.

I am a Saudi prince with a harem of eunichs.

O Captain, Walt a wonderful world. :o

Disability check for british males and germans who sold their saussage factory are 97% of what you described in thailand.

As far as people doubting that someone under 50 can survive in thailand

An african kid that cant read could make 50k baht a month with computer/internet with minimal guidance, if you cant figure out a way to get yourself a salary while in thailand outside of a retirement fund, you're just part of the unimaginative/plain part of mankind and should just drop the subject instead of embarassing yourself by thinking out loud that you're the only worthy human being because you worked 50years in shitjobs to be able to bang 35yo relaxation therapist for money for the next 10years

Yeah right, and I'm a 21 y.o. multi billionaire who owns an island off Scotland for the summer months, a large private resort in the Maldives for the winter and a small pied-a-terre in Phuket for when I need a little R&R. :o

Get a job... :D

Could be they are visa overstayers, with a maximum fine of 20 kBaht that is a good way to stay provided you can keep below the radar.

Could be they are only children who inherited a reasonable pile in Kensington when mummy and daddy popped their clogs.

Or they could be 23 y.o. dream merchants.

If these guys overstay their tourist visa and stay for years are they only fined 20K baht if caught? If that is the case it is cheaper than the thai language school deal.

Why would you want a harem full of eunichs?  One eunich or two are enough to guard and take care of the women in the harem. But the women are the whole point of the harem, not the eunichs.  :o

If these guys overstay their tourist visa and stay for years are they only fined 20K baht if caught? If that is the case it is cheaper than the thai language school deal.

Correct and it's 20k maximum for years and years and years.

BUT if the BiB happen to stumble on you during your overstay, either by luck or being pointed in the right direction by a person with an axe to grind, you are off up the IDC in Bangkok where you'll be held in not pleasant surroundings whilst you are processed, fined and you pay up for a ticket out. This can involve some months spent at your leisure in the IDC where you'll make a whole lot of new chums many of which you'd rather not share a cell with.

Then you are free to get back to Thailand and start all over again.

So why bother with a visa?

Well it depends on whether you enjoy living a game of Russian roulette, plus you never know if they are going to get p1ssed off with people taking this easy way out and up the ante.

BTW are eunichs just eunuchs under a different name on an internet forum.

B4 I'm flamed I'm not knocking tattooed people, as I don't know any.

Really? What cave do you live in?

It's not so much the cave one lives in, it's the circles in which you circulate.

Don't know anyone with a tattoo?

Preposterous.

Correct and it's 20k maximum for years and years and years.

BUT if the BiB happen to stumble on you during your overstay, either by luck or being pointed in the right direction by a person with an axe to grind, you are off up the IDC in Bangkok where you'll be held in not pleasant surroundings whilst you are processed, fined and you pay up for a ticket out. This can involve some months spent at your leisure in the IDC where you'll make a whole lot of new chums many of which you'd rather not share a cell with.

Then you are free to get back to Thailand and start all over again.

So why bother with a visa?

Well it depends on whether you enjoy living a game of Russian roulette, plus you never know if they are going to get p1ssed off with people taking this easy way out and up the ante.

BTW are eunichs just eunuchs under a different name on an internet forum.

Thanks Phil I thought there must be a catch. Spending time making new friends in the lock up for a few months does not sound very appealing.

Back to square one.

There is another way that guys (with or without tattoos) in there mid 30 to 40's stay here with out working. I am one of them!!!!!!!!! BUT i have a company in my home country that is run by a very good manager ............ and I live here........ It works out ALOT cheaper for me to stay here than back in the UK......... I am kept informed of the daily sales figures and hold a weekly conference call from my apartment.

I rent out 2 apartments in the UK for nearly 75,000 baht a month..... I take 25,000 baht a month from my company. Life is good :-)........... Its easy when you know how to do it :-)

thats how i do it also (the businesses not the appartments) apart from the good manager back home happens to be my brother in law and we are partners in 2 businesses. I am only 35 and have been living here using this principal for 5 years now.:o

p.s I have a shaved head but no tattoo's

And how are you both allowed to stay here being under 50???????????

These are the situations that I know of foreigners, myself included, that are under 50 and legally staying in thailand long term :

Non immigrant visa , get 1 yearly permit of stay extensions on the basis of work(work permit holders) , spouse(married to a thai national)

Diplomat postings.

Immigrant Visa holders (AKA permanent residence) (i know many foreigners under 50 in this situation)

Grant of citizenship (i know 2 foreigners under 50 in this situation)