I Cant Wait Until They Level Lamai Market

A lot of people are not going to like what I have to say, but I really do not give a dam_n. I cannot wait for the day until they bulldoze Lamai markets and build a Tescos.

I am sick of going there and being charged a "farang price" for fruit and vegetables. I am all for supporting the mom and pop local stores, and would happily pay a little bit more to keep them in business, but not one baht more than the Thai person standing next to me. If they want to charge me a ridiculous price because I am a farang, then they have lost any support I may have had for them.

I am not particularly fond of Tescos, but at least it is one price for all.

It will be convenient. Driving all the way to Chaweng and back from Lamai is a pain in the a*se.

The Tesco in Chaweng doesn't seem to have damaged the Lamdin Market too much. There are still plenty of customers there. I should image that it will be the same in Lamai (assuming they find somewhere else to make a new market).

That's one of the problems on Samui - Foreign Residents wanting things the same as back home - Tesco , Starbucks , McMuck or whatever

Let the locals make a living and keep the local markets is my vote .

Edited by churchill

Tesco does not open shops to please a farang market, they open to serve the local Thai populous.

Local fresh markets will always survive as they offer services that Tesco ect cannot, daily short notice deliveries to restaurants and hotels

I would think the 7/11's and Family Marts are the real threat to mom and pop shops

That's one of the problems on Samui - Foreign Residents wanting things the same as back home - Tesco , Starbucks , McMuck or whatever

Let the locals make a living and keep the local markets is my vote .

Churchill,

You are missing my point entirely. I am certainly no fan of any of those chains you have mentioned. I would prefer to shop at the local markets, mom and pop shops as they are called. I don't mind paying a little bit more. I would rather put money in the back pocket of a local vendor than one those huge conglomerates. What I do however object to, is being taken advantage of, being scammed, ripped off, by a scum bag vendor who wants to charge me more because I am not Thai.

I shopped at Lamai market for some time and never felt I was being taken advantage of - Some of the vendors did try it on , but I got to know those who were fair and had good produce .

Anyway it will be a supermarket soon - may pen rai.

When i first came to Thailand i used to buy everything on the market, until i found out they were charging me 30% more than the Thais and even Tescos. :o

Now i simply shop at Tescos. I would prefer to shop on the market but not willing to pay more than a Thai person.

When i first came to Thailand i used to buy everything on the market, until i found out they were charging me 30% more than the Thais and even Tescos. :o

Now i simply shop at Tescos. I would prefer to shop on the market but not willing to pay more than a Thai person.

I think that sums at the attitude of a lot (I didn't say all) of Thais. Live for today, get what you can today, and dam_n the consequences.

I send my girlfriend to the market it's much easier, she gets a good thai price being from Issan and certainly knows how to talk them down. In fact I send her on all my errands whilst I lay around the house drinking beer and watching tv.

I'm going to send her out shortly because I got the munchies. I love Thailand. Thai girls rock!

Topper.

I send my girlfriend to the market it's much easier, she gets a good thai price being from Issan and certainly knows how to talk them down. In fact I send her on all my errands whilst I lay around the house drinking beer and watching tv.

I'm going to send her out shortly because I got the munchies. I love Thailand. Thai girls rock!

Topper.

Man you one lucky sun-of-a-gun having a beautiful Issan girl to wait on you hand and foot. I wish I could lay around the house all day drinking beer and watching TV. My girl is HiSo from Bangkok and she doesn't lift a finger for anyone. She has got me doing blooming everything, cooking, cleaning, washing etc. The only things she does is buy gold jewellery and drink black label. Do you think your girl would go to the market for me.

What a load of rubbish you write, have you never heard of all the Chinatowns around the world, and the little Italy's, the Irish sectors, there is even a Thai area in Santa Monica, etc..........

And by the way, the market in Lamai, near the PTT station is to remain as far as I know.

Tesco's is proceeding very well, ground levelled, concrete piles hammered in, basic construction started,

Also, have you noticed that they hose the trucks down as they leave the site, now that is something you don't see very often even in the West.

Edited by mistresserika

What a load of rubbish you write, have you never heard of all the Chinatowns around the world, and the little Italy's, the Irish sectors, there is even a Thai area in Santa Monica, etc..........

And by the way, the market in Lamai, near the PTT station is to remain as far as I know.

Tesco's is proceeding very well, ground levelled, concrete piles hammered in, basic construction started,

Also, have you noticed that they hose the trucks down as they leave the site, now that is something you don't see very often even in the West.

Excatly, a good reply!

And what the hel_l is wrong with buying produce from Tesco rather than a market where it sits in the sun all day with flys, bugs and motorbike fumes all over it?

Why is Tesco such a success in Thailand? Becuase the Thai's see it as an improvement thats why.

Some people would still be living in a cave rather than look for some progress in their standard of living!

Excatly, a good reply!

And what the hel_l is wrong with buying produce from Tesco rather than a market where it sits in the sun all day with flys, bugs and motorbike fumes all over it?

Why is Tesco such a success in Thailand? Becuase the Thai's see it as an improvement thats why.

Some people would still be living in a cave rather than look for some progress in their standard of living!

Couldn't agree more, same applies to the chicken and other food stalls that line some roads. Do people really want to eat fly <deleted> and sand/dust with their roasted chicken, also they do not wash the chickens before roasting!! :o

Topper.

:o

Has anyone ever walked around the site of the market in the evening when they have all gone home? If you did you would wonder why anyone would choose to shop at such places when they can go to Tesco's. Get rid of it and all the animals that hang around them.

Tescos is western and therefore bad, pathetic!

Excatly, a good reply!

Couldn't agree more, same applies to the chicken and other food stalls that line some roads. Do people really want to eat fly <deleted> and sand/dust with their roasted chicken, also they do not wash the chickens before roasting!! :o

Have you ever tasted the local chicken from the food stalls - I don't know what they do to it but it tastes very good - Compare that to KFC - I don't know how they survive in Thailand .

I've nothing against Tesco and shop there often but the impression given was that the Lamai Food Market was going to be flattened to make way for it , which I would not agree with . and having one in Lamai makes sense - but I am not sure about the other planned sites .

Nothing against competition and variety , The new Villa , is very welcome - More variety and less junk food would be very welcome .

Edited by churchill

When I lived in Lamai I always got fresher fish in the market than I ever got at Tesco.

Tesco is ok for package and canned food, but fresh food ? Never.

Nowadays i think bigc has the freshest fishdepartment of the grosseri shops. The fish department in Macro scare me by the rutten smell. (Some of that ight come from the onions right next to the fish, i dont think they ever exchanged them since they opened).

The freshest fish would without any doubt be banrak fishmarket, since it is still alive and kicking til you buy it. Now, thats what i call fresh! :o .

Somehow I cant envisage any Thai market vendor throwing produce away at night after having a bad days trading. So what do you think they do with it????

Market produce is'nt always as fresh as some people make out, and if a ferang comes along I'd like to

have a bet on what he is given in his bag.

HL :o

Couldn't agree more, same applies to the chicken and other food stalls that line some roads. Do people really want to eat fly <deleted> and sand/dust with their roasted chicken, also they do not wash the chickens before roasting!!

Ohmy... so disgusting!

Tomorrow I'll go Tesco to buy a sterilized hormon-grown, styrofoam packed, aseptic chicken!

And go home, evil mama & papa shops!

When I lived in Lamai I always got fresher fish in the market than I ever got at Tesco.

Tesco is ok for package and canned food, but fresh food ? Never.

lite beer

interested to knw how long ago that was. in last years, market prices for fishes and vegetables have gone through the roof in samui.

agree it is fresher to some extent if your timing is right, but jeez there can be alot of difference if you are feeding a large tribe.

my view

imho If they build the tesco then great as at least then the choice is there for all and markets might improve costs and standards as a consequence, progress in my view.. no stopping it

Nirvana