Public Places To Work

myauq

There is a nice new library east of Victory Monument on Ratchawithi, opposite of the park. Cool, quiet, 3 floors, coffee shop. Lots of space to work, you are not alone with your laptop.
Starbucks Langsuan is a good place to work, but also very popular with students taking up tables for hours on end. The staff don't seem to mind if/when you buy your drinks. They have True wi-fi, so connecting with a free Greenspace account is a good idea so long as you don't need huge bandwidth for music/video etc.

Black Canyons offer free WLAN wi-fi with a purchase - they need a copy of your ID (passport number) and they'll print you out the log-in and password which can be used for 1 day only. It's quite fast too.

Other popular places where folks I know have virtual offices are Bug & Bee and Coffee Society on Silom and TCDC on top floor of Emporium - a good place to work but requires a membership.

There is a Facebook group called "free wifi in Bangkok" where people share other places too.

www.thirdplacebangkok.com

on ThongLo Soi 10...

not free but reasonable

some fantastic replies here - thanks so much.

i will check out the library at ratchatewi.

also found some other places at siam, where they also have the green wifi. quite good setup. they were fairly empty too, despite being in a central location. silom sounds like it's got some great places from what you say carl, so i'll have to pay them a visit over the next couple of weeks.

:o

The only problem with Greenspace wi-fi is that you can only get 5 hours of time per month, then have to re-register.

Just been to McDs at Chidlom today. Nice and modern, comfortable seating but only 2 power sockets next to the smallest tables in the place. And guess what....they said they don't allow laptop users to connect to them. No free wi-fi there too, but a card costs 60 baht per hour (cheap).

I hate it when some tool with a laptop takes up a whole table in starbucks when there is nowhere to sit for people who just want to have a coffee and leave. What better place for peace and quite than your own room.

I totally agree....nothing worse than a kee-niaou farang "free-rider" filling up the space of paying customers..........seen this so many times.......

I'm with you guys. Get them the heck out of the pubs as well!

And it always seems to be Mac users, too. Sitting there with their pots of tea and wires running all over the place taking up a table for four.

I think its bad too too take up space of paying customers especially in crowded places. If there is no one around ok but else.. make way for paying customers. I don't care if the person is Thai or farang, paying customers go first. I would be anoyed as hel_l if i had a business with a lot of people taking up space.

I wouldn't start here.

You need to go back 1 year to when the Universities had free internet access. They cracked down and so you generally need an access password nowadays.

Still, obviously very comfortable libraries, air conditioning, nice views and free non-wi-fi. Usually around 30 bahts entrance fee.

True Wifi Update:

If you have a true phone number, prepaid is good enough, you can get 24 hours wifi anywhere with true wifi coverage for 29 baht!

I don't think most people know this as it is not an offer promoted in english. Actually when I first went and talked with the true sales staff they tried to sell me 3 hours for 500 baht. Then they came down to 24 hours for 300 baht until finally agreeing that 29 baht for 24 hours was more of the correct price.

What you do is simply send an sms to a number (that I forgot!), and you get a code back to enter.

• 5 months later...
maybe i should simplify my question...

what is starbucks like as a place to work in with your laptop for a few hours?

Some of the most uncomfortable looking people are the ones who struggle to work at coffee shops with their laptops.

Office to Starbucks = 10min

Ordering/waiting = 5min

Configuring the wifi, setting up = 5min

Amount of time you can get away with being there on a single coffee = 40min

Return to office = 10min.

Where's the productivity?

Coffee Society on Silom, right by BTS and MRT. Free Wi-Fi.. lots of tables (after 6pm they turn the air on the 3rd floor, which is the largest floor).. and I used to study there with my laptop almost everyday for 4-6 hours at a time, sometimes having one cup of coffee. They won't say anything. Almost all the tables have power supply right there, the rest have a power supply near enough u can still work there.

Note: technically a gay area since it's right by Soi 2, but it's not exclusively so at all...

Edit: Open 24 hours

Edited by Rionoir