Any Benifits Of Getting Married?

hi guys

it is worth getting married, what are the benifits, and of cousre down sides, hope that if married can have my house in my name? no more visa runs? so i am led to beleive, and the down sides, if the worse comes to the worse, divorce, does the wife get my house and i get kicked out of thailand. decisions decisions

stu

Benefits: your Thai children can have your last name.

It is easier for your wife to get a visa to your home country.

If you have a retirement visa, you only need half as much money in a Thai bank. (don't know about other types of visas)

If you die, it is easier for your wife to get your money.

Other than that, it is just a piece of paper.

You cannot own land.

You must sign a paper saying the money wasn't your's if you bought land with your money.

It is still no guarantee (or cheaper) of getting your wife into your home country. (just easier)

I lived with my wife for 6 years and just married her a month ago.

Not much has changed in our life. (I have not changed my visa yet but went in to talk to them and they told me it would not be a problem and confirmed the 400 baht requirement) (I will keep my fingers crossed anyway)

Getting my sons last name changed to mine is not easy though as some dimwit at the hospital apparently misspelled my name on his birth certificate. THis will cost me a trip to Issan, probably a good bit of money AND lots of time in lines at a government office

Benefits: your Thai children can have your last name.

It is easier for your wife to get a visa to your home country.

If you have a retirement visa, you only need half as much money in a Thai bank. (don't know about other types of visas)

If you die, it is easier for your wife to get your money.

Other than that, it is just a piece of paper.

You cannot own land.

You must sign a paper saying the money wasn't your's if you bought land with your money.

It is still no guarantee (or cheaper) of getting your wife into your home country. (just easier)

I lived with my wife for 6 years and just married her a month ago.

Not much has changed in our life. (I have not changed my visa yet but went in to talk to them and they told me it would not be a problem and confirmed the 400 baht requirement) (I will keep my fingers crossed anyway)

Getting my sons last name changed to mine is not easy though as some dimwit at the hospital apparently misspelled my name on his birth certificate. THis will cost me a trip to Issan, probably a good bit of money AND lots of time in lines at a government office

thanks, still not sure it is of any real benefit as no kids involved, looking at retirement visa in a few year, have the house in my name via company, just fed up with visa runs

As this Forum is for for discussing Visa related issues and not Marriage Guidance , Off topic and inflamatory posts have been deleted. Please keep it Visa related. There are other Forums to talk about the other aspects of getting married if you so wish.

Thank You.

I would hope you would marry for LOVE and devotion to your spouse and any BENEFITs/bad/good would be secondary. "For richer or for poor, in sickness and in health, until death do us part" I THINK this is pretty much true in most part of the world. :o:D:D

As I said this is not the Marriage Guidance Forum.

To the OP.

Visa wise the advantages to getting married are that it would be easier to obtain Non Imm Visa from Thai Consulates.

It would also enable you to be able to apply for 12 monthly extensions based on your marriage.

The Extension rule is here.

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

:o