I Broke My Jaw On Sukhumvit Soi 4

Andrew Hicks

A couple of weeks ago I broke my jaw on Sukhumvit Soi 4 and ended up on the operating theatre in the Bumrungrad Hospital for three hours.

I won't bore you now but if curious, the full story can be found on my Blog. (Scan down below the latest post about Thai school girls.)

Anyway, my point is that while the Bumrun was first rate, the pain to my wallet was considerable.

Can anyone recommend a Bangkok hospital offering similar standards of treatment that might be more economical?

(I'm sure this topic has been raised before but things change and there's nothing like having the latest info.)

My mouth's wired tight closed and I can't talk or eat for a month but I'd love to read your replies.

Andrew Hicks

I broke mine in two places when I was in my twenties.

(Actually, I didn't break it - someone did it for me!)

Symphathise with you being wired up. Liquidised food

for 30 days. I had it over Christmas! No fun. And you

don't half lose a lot of weight.

Reason for replying to you: Be careful once the wires

are removed as your jaw will take about a year to knit

fully and you want to make sure you don't 'take' one on

the chin and end up being a ventriloquist again!

"I broke my jaw on Sukhumwit soi 4" sounds like the opening lines to a C&W song. All we need are a few verses about bar girls and sick buffalos and we have a winner.

As to your question, I only have experience with the Bumrungrad but then I have good medical insurance that tends to replace the sharp wallet pains with a dull ache once a year when the premium is due.

BNH, St Louise, - all can be equally expensive, but might still be somewhat cheaper than Bamrungrad

slightly cheaper might be perhaps Bangkok Hospital

I broke mine in two places when I was in my twenties.

(Actually, I didn't break it - someone did it for me!)

Symphathise with you being wired up. Liquidised food

for 30 days. I had it over Christmas! No fun. And you

don't half lose a lot of weight.

Reason for replying to you: Be careful once the wires

are removed as your jaw will take about a year to knit

fully and you want to make sure you don't 'take' one on

the chin and end up being a ventriloquist again!

They're due to unsew my mouth and let me out on Sunday which is only a month from the accident. I thought bones took longer to mend than this, but thanks for the advice. I shall take it carefully and back off the tamarind seeds and muay Thai for a bit.

I can't provoke any arguments with Cat at the moment because I can't talk anyway. When I can, that could be a danger point!

Yes, it's hel_l, isn't it beig Hannibal Lecterised! The inside of my mouth is just so sore.

Andrew

"...the Bumrun was first rate, the pain to my wallet was considerable. Can anyone recommend a Bangkok hospital offering similar standards of treatment that might be more economical?"

Are you planning to break your jaw AGAIN?

A couple of weeks ago I broke my jaw on Sukhumvit Soi 4 and ended up on the operating theatre in the Bumrungrad Hospital for three hours.

I won't bore you now but if curious, the full story can be found on my Blog...

Yes, but I couldn't find the cost. So how much was it? I'm guessing between 100,000 and 300,000 baht.

I won't bore you now but if curious, the full story can be found on my Blog...

Yes, but I couldn't find the cost. So how much was it? I'm guessing between 100,000 and 300,000 baht.

Rama 9 excellent international mid-priced. St Louis good western standards at lower price. Chula- high standard Thai hospital.

BNH and BH are the same management (Bumrungrand is different) so expect both would be about the same price (although BH has recently started to target Thai customers with lower prices/discounts). Saint Louis is normally a good choice for cheaper price (as not for profit). I use Vejthani, which is normally a little less expensive than the big boys (not small at 500 beds) but last week every room was occupied so they must still be getting overseas customers; or there are a lot of sick people in Bangkok this year.

Edited by lopburi3

BNH and BH are the same management (Bumrungrand is different) so expect both would be about the same price (although BH has recently started to target Thai customers with lower prices/discounts). Saint Louis is normally a good choice for cheaper price (as not for profit). I use Vejthani, which is normally a little less expensive than the big boys (not small at 500 beds) but last week every room was occupied so they must still be getting overseas customers; or there are a lot of sick people in Bangkok this year.

Sorry off topic but welcome back lopburi3, the forum misses you!!

Explorer

I used to go to the Bangkok Nursing Home, the old place, had two slice & sew hernia ops there, like the old time atmosphere. Then they built that monster place, the BNH, went there for a few years for physical exams then finally gave up, too much upscale for me, let alone the traffic to get there then home.

A couple years back changed to the Vibhavadi Hospital at the corner of Ngam Wong Wan & Vibhavad-Rangist Highway, like the place. Did a gall bladder removal a couple years back, good treatment for a new problem, adult onset asthma (had sure never heard of that one, thought it was only a kid's disease!), and a couple other minor visits. Like the place. Was down there this morning for their dental clinic, first visit. Cleaning, one x-ray of a problem area, cost baht 1,050 total. Will be back next week for some more work.

http://www.vibhavadi.com/en/about.php

Mac

I'd certainly recommend Vibhavadi Hospital , which is well priced and has good facilites. It's a lot less busy these days, since Don Muang.

There are a couple of governemnt hospitals that should not be discounted, Siraj, Chula, and from a freinds recommenation, The Police Hospital is also pretty good.

I tend to use a small private hospital for minor stuff that is non complicated as places like Bumrun are pretty severe on costs IMO. I have used Bumrungrad and have no complaints, although I am not overkeen on the place, I actually find Samitivej a much better place, and I have also used Vejthni, which is also a nice hospital on Lat Phrao.

Avoid Ramkhamheng, which is awful, considering it tries to fob itslef off as an international hospital, crap service and pretty expensive for what it is.

Bones will heal in about 4 to 6 months but the soft tissue will take a much longer time to settle down. Have you had any nerve damage? Numbness and sensation issues can last for over a year or more but you have to get it checked to make sure that it is not a permanent problem. What I have found that hastens nerve healing is going for laser physiotherapy sessions regularly. Someone can chime in and let us know if this is available in Bangkok. This stimulates the nerve and helps dissipate the swelling from the soft tissue which can pinch the nerve and cause sensation problems.

BNH and Samitivej are part of the same group, Bangkok Dusit Medical Services Pcl, along with Ramkhamhaeng Hospital, Bangkok Pattaya, Bangkok Pattaya, Bangkok Samui, Bangkok Phuket and a few others. Bamrungrad is a separate company also listed on the Thai stock exchange under the ticker code BH with no connection to the Bangkok Dusit group of hospitals. BNH had been independent as Bangkok Nursing Home for nearly 100 years but overstretched itself building the new hospital when the 1997 economic crisis hit and had to sell out.

Edited by Arkady

I recently had my hand seriously cut in a run-in with a ladyboy in Soi Nana. (That's another story in itself.) I first went to Bumrungrad to try to get it looked after. They quoted me an estimated price of 7,000 baht. I told them that was too much so they suggested I try the Police Hospital or Chula. I went to the emergency room of the Police Hospital (it was about 4 in the morning) and they x-rayed my hand; a doctor stitched me up very professionally while a half a dozen very kind nurses looked on and helped out; and they gave me some antibiotics and a tetanus shot. Total price: 1,200 baht.

I don't think that I would necessarily want to have a heart transplant there, but I suspect that they deal with this sort of thing (cuts, broken bones, etc.) on a regular basis. This was my first time to visit a hospital emergency room in my 14 years of living in Thailand. I'm glad I got to experience a "real" Thai hospital and I would definitely use/trust them again in similar circumstances.

By contrast, I have used Bumrungrad for a few non-emergency procedures over the years and I found them to be a severely overpriced assembly line. For private hospitals I prefer Samitivej.

Edited by BangkokHank

BNH and Samitivej are part of the same group, Bangkok Dusit Medical Services Pcl, along with Ramkhamhaeng Hospital, Bangkok Pattaya, Bangkok Pattaya, Bangkok Samui, Bangkok Phuket and a few others. Bamrungrad is a separate company also listed on the Thai stock exchange under the ticker code BH with no connection to the Bangkok Dusit group of hospitals. BNH had been independent as Bangkok Nursing Home for nearly 100 years but overstretched itself building the new hospital when the 1997 economic crisis hit and had to sell out.

Samitivej was good

I won't bore you now but if curious, the full story can be found on my Blog. (Scan down below the latest post about Thai school girls.)

Anyway, my point is that while the Bumrun was first rate, the pain to my wallet was considerable.

Can anyone recommend a Bangkok hospital offering similar standards of treatment that might be more economical?

(I'm sure this topic has been raised before but things change and there's nothing like having the latest info.)

My mouth's wired tight closed and I can't talk or eat for a month but I'd love to read your replies.

Andrew Hicks

Not "THE" Andrew Hicks? Bad luck mate? I cracked a tooth on a gobstopper when I was a lad. Have you tried the Christian hospital half way down Silom Rd. They seem to be pretty good and realistic prices are charged