Tatoos

midasthailand

:D

Forget it. I'm no tough guy.

I wore my first earring about 30 years ago because where I was living nobody had one. I was a teenager and like a lot of teenagers I guess I wanted to look different. From my parents, my teachers and all the square people around me. I got my first earring from my grandmother. She was a kind of a rebel. A delicious old woman whose memory I'll cherish all my life. Through the years I kept wearing an earring because... well I like wearing one. As simple as that.

For the tattoo, it took me about 10 years to make up my mind. It's on my shoulder. It's small, well done and few people know about it (my son loves it!) so it certainly wasn't made to prove that I'm a tough guy (which I'm not as I've already mentioned). This tattoo has a history. It's a kind of "landmark" (not sure it's the right word). I have never regretted getting it. As I said before, since it's invisible to most people it has never (and will never) impaired my professional (or social) life.

Well now I'm over 40. The earring and the tattoo serve as reminders that I should never take myself too seriously and, above all, not become one of those square people without any sense of humor who used to pollute my teenage days and keep on polluting the world I'm living in with their dumb ideas. They are reminders that, whatever happens, I must stand in the way of political correctness and be opposed to all the people who are trying to impose a kind of brave new world upon us. They are reminders that I should never forget the young man I used to be.

I'm no tough guy, I'm a silly rebel. :D

(I don't know if what I wrote makes sense but I don't mind if I look a fool)

Full marks for a superb post :o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a tattoo and an earring. I'm not bald, I'm no hooligan. I'm a father, I've got a decent job and I don't give a toss about the PC brigade! :o
In Canada the Hells Angels love tattoos,as do their women.Charles Manson has a swastika on his forehead.I don't look up to either bikers or Charles.Everyone's bias is formed from your life experiences.In my experience,when push comes to shove an inordinate number of tattooed fellows fancy themselves "tough guys".There are always exceptions to the rule,like you,however I would guess more "tough guys" wear tats than guys who don't feel the need to show they are tough or not.If you are tattooed and getting angry by this post,you have prooven my hypothesis.Most cougars worth their salt have their obligatory rose tattoo on the small of their back as they approach 50 and upwards.Their desired postion and attitude is obvious..30 years ago.Brittani Spears is not a helpful advocate for the young ones grovelling to get their tattoos on their arse and be just like her,skanky and air-headed.When they hit 40 they wonder where all the tough guys went????

:D

Forget it. I'm no tough guy.

I wore my first earring about 30 years ago because where I was living nobody had one. I was a teenager and like a lot of teenagers I guess I wanted to look different. From my parents, my teachers and all the square people around me. I got my first earring from my grandmother. She was a kind of a rebel. A delicious old woman whose memory I'll cherish all my life. Through the years I kept wearing an earring because... well I like wearing one. As simple as that.

For the tattoo, it took me about 10 years to make up my mind. It's on my shoulder. It's small, well done and few people know about it (my son loves it!) so it certainly wasn't made to prove that I'm a tough guy (which I'm not as I've already mentioned). This tattoo has a history. It's a kind of "landmark" (not sure it's the right word). I have never regretted getting it. As I said before, since it's invisible to most people it has never (and will never) impaired my professional (or social) life.

Well now I'm over 40. The earring and the tattoo serve as reminders that I should never take myself too seriously and, above all, not become one of those square people without any sense of humor who used to pollute my teenage days and keep on polluting the world I'm living in with their dumb ideas. They are reminders that, whatever happens, I must stand in the way of political correctness and be opposed to all the people who are trying to impose a kind of brave new world upon us. They are reminders that I should never forget the young man I used to be.

I'm no tough guy, I'm a silly rebel. :D

(I don't know if what I wrote makes sense but I don't mind if I look a fool)

I respect you.I was probably overgeneralising.Many that got tattoos on a whim,peer pressure,rebellion,drunk,high,impulsive,angry,happy,introspective,philosophical,

artistic,to identify with a particular group,alienation,to belong,self worth,pride,ego,family crest or coat of arms,just for fun or whatever reason one gets tattoos, now want them gone..thus tattoo removal shops are now outnumbering tattoo parlours in many places.Many are proud of their tattoos and would never want rid of them.Fair enough.A tattoo as a piece of art is admirable,as compared to say a Hells Angel who has 1 %er prominentely tattooed on their forehead,displayed to terrify the general population into turning the other cheek as a society to their activities like selling crack to middlemen who thus sell it to juveniles.

I have tattoos on my back, hidden not because I am ashamed of them, it's because I followed my Thai GF instructions. After an accident where I was a little bit hurt/damaged. The GF said I needed buddha to protect me. So Buddha was tattooed on my back....Buddha was now watching my back.

Used to have long hair, the Afghan coat with cheesecloth shirts, after college discovered motorbikes so itwas long hair and an earing. Got a responsible job so it was short hair.

Majority of people conform to he who pays the piper. But individuals always are seperate from the masses. That is a good thing for evolution and the human race.

Being a clone is boring

There is nothing wrong with Tatoos, in fact I have 5, but they are easily hidden, and no one that I work with would know that I have them. I have a reasonable education - postgraduate and I have a decent enough job. I am certainly not a hooligan, lowlife or criminal, so I guess it's just the self righteous who seem to have an issue about it.

so why do you have to hide them if there is nothing wrong with them?

Obviously, you havent seen them, from what I hear they consist of a butterfly, a bullfrog, an angel, a heart and something in Thai that says - I miss my mommy. :D

(sorry M, had to get you back for helping out the scousers in the football forum mate)

:o No problem James. But you forgot the love/hate on my knuckles.

As for Samui, I don't hide them or are ashamed of them, It's just that I don't have tattoos on my neck, forhead or forearms. Sorry to dissapoint you with the answer.