Retirees importing personal belongings

Retirees importing personal belongings

My wife and I have non-resident retiree O-A multiple-entry visas. We entered Thailand in June and are looking to build or buy property for our retirement.

Our moving company told us that our used furniture and personal effects, which are being stored in a shipping container, should enter Thailand within six months of our arrival to avoid customs duty.

We are concerned because we have not yet found a suitable property and will be leaving Thailand for about a month in October.

Does the six-month period begin from when we intially entered Thailand? If a person leaves the country, can it begin when that person returns?

Larry Lawson, Phuket

Answer:

“The period of six months starts from the date that you initially entered Thailand on the retirement O-A visa, regardless whether you leave and re-enter Thailand after that date.

However, the deadline is somewhat flexible. If your personal items are due to arrive in Thailand more than six months after the entry date, you should inform Customs about this at least two months before the six-month deadline.

If, after entering Thailand, you have been granted a permit to stay for a year or more, your belongings will not be taxed. However, if your permit to stay is for less than one year, these items will be taxed 20% import duty plus 7% value-added tax.

If your belongings arrive while you are away, you can have them stored at the deep sea port, where I presume they will arrive. If you leave your items at the port longer than two months, you should inform Customs so we know that you will collect them later. ”

Pichai Duaengdangchoti

Customs Chief Inspector 6,

Chief Customs Officer Formality & Legality Division,

Phuket Customs Office.