Pattaya Police

sharecropper

Ignoring their extra-curricular activities (by which I mean their second and third jobs, and their thirst for tea money), how are Pattaya's police funded? Is it with money from the local or national government and what does it come out of -taxes?

Or are they supposed to be wholly or largely self-funding from some national police pot into which fines and other payments to them (eg confiscations) go?

Also, does anyone know what the average copper's salary is?

I ask because I want to understand why we seem to have so few of them around in such a large tourist city. I hardly ever see them at night, especially in high tourist areas such as Walking Street (ignoring the FTPV/A or whatever they are now called) and other major tourist areas.

Thanks.

the policeman in our village owns a house worth about 5 million baht,wish i could afford that on 10000 baht a month :o

Maybe his daughter(s) are working in Bangkok or Pattaya?

no his daughters are young and play with my lad as does his young son ,all have m/bikes and computers ect , didnt realize 10,000 baht went so far,wish mine did :D

Can't be exact as there was a recent negotiation for a rise for Police.

But, a sub-lieutenant is about 10,000 a month , but , new on the job can be as low as 8,000 plus around 3,000 a month for Rank once you start getting promotions. There is also a 3,000 a month location fee paid to some Senior Ranks. Their Base is around the 25,000 a month.

In 2005 they started around 233 per day when the basic was 175 a day.

For interest , I saw this asked on another thread can't remeber where , but, it is connected.

Thailands average Police to Population ratio is about 3.35 per 1,000 ,

USA is 4.08 per1,000 Rural & 3.2 per 1,000 Cities, UK is 2.04 per 1,000 (ranked 34th), Aust is 2.09 1,000 (ranked 32nd)

( United Nations source)

Thailand Police are ranked the 14th most heavily Populated Dept in the world.

USA is not usually ranked as it has so many agencies & count Park Rangers etc. (about 15,000 Law Enforcement Depts.)

:o

the policeman in our village owns a house worth about 5 million baht,wish i could afford that on 10000 baht a month :o

Maybe his daughter(s) are working in Bangkok or Pattaya?

no his daughters are young and play with my lad as does his young son ,all have m/bikes and computers ect , didnt realize 10,000 baht went so far,wish mine did :D

I suspect many other peoples' 10,000 baht went so far, unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies, although I still don't understand who pays them - local government (in which case Pattaya police could afford to be on a comparatively large salary, given local tax receipts), or the national government.

Also, when coppers "tea money" you on the roads, or elsewhere, do you think it goes into central taxes, their back pocket or does it get kicked upstairs, like some pyramid scam, with the collector getting a percentage?

As I understand it, tea money is pure bribe: no ticket, no receipt and the cash goes into the back pocket. If a ticket is issued and you pay the full fine at a station or some ad hoc roadside 'office' the copper issuing the ticket gets a cut as do folks higher up the food chain. Where the remainder goes, I don't know.

It's like the tip system in some bars, if you give it directly to the server it's theirs alone, if you leave it on the change tray/wallet, it goes in the pot and the servers all get a share (less management 'handling fee')

I find it very sad that almost down to a man/woman, the people of Thailand find it acceptable that a membr of the police can stop anyone at any time and - regardless of whether or not they have broken the law - demand 100 ror 200 baht.

Edited by TVmonitor

I understand that they have to pay for their uniforms, handcuffs, guns etc., out of their salary as there is no fund for accessories. Maybe that's why the uniforms are so tight - less cloth so cheaper!

I understand that they have to pay for their uniforms, handcuffs, guns etc., out of their salary as there is no fund for accessories. Maybe that's why the uniforms are so tight - less cloth so cheaper!

No, the uniform starts out a slack fit but the pliceman expands in direct proportion to the generosity of his victims donors. :o

It's a well known fact that the job of policeman / teacher etc. is still looked upon as a very respectful position here in Thailand hence there are a lot of rich peoples kids doing the job. I have met a couple that live in big houses drive big cars etc. Doesn't mean they are on the take, in fact they might be one of the few that isn't.

My wife's theory as to why the highway police wear the "tit" masks and sunglasses is to avoid recognition and retribution by any of the truck drivers they pull over??? :o

Edited by LennyW

The sad fact is that it will never change. Prospective coppers have to buy into the system and borrow money to do so. Thus, before they start, they are in debt and the only way out is to be a bent copper. Not that LOS has straight coppers anyway.

It is a license to print money. The admiration goes back, with my knowledge, to the old Chinese thinking that it is not how you acquire your money that is important, only that you acquire it. Face is gained and esteem derived from having money and as those attributes are above all else, they are to be followed no matter what. Given that the military and police are part of the class with their heads in the trough then they are looked up to.

• 2 weeks later...

As for how they are officially compensated, they receive a base salary and then can earn more by writing citations. From those fines the office receives 50%, the provinces get 47%, and the national government receives 3%. But we all know that there are many scams going on and much more money probably comes from that. Have you ever wondered why they send 15 officers to bust a card game that has a total of something like 345 baht being wagered by the 6-10 people playing. I think the majority of the cash confiscated goes directly into a fund, or someones pocket. Who's gonna complain? The people being arrested? I don't think so!