Khon Kaen To Pattaya - Driving

Gladiator

I am hoping to drive from Khon Kaen to Pattaya (shortly before Songkran).

Anyone have suggestions for best route?

Thanks

We did this route a few months ago with 3 skylabs, from Udon Thani to Pattaya, very nice ride.

From Khon Kaen take the A12 to Korat, near Korat keep to the left to follow the route to Bangkok.

In Korat take the 304 to Pak Tong Chai-Wang Nam Khiao-Kabin Buri till Plaeng Yao.

Mind, the 304 is not very well "advertised", just before the entrance to this road is a petrol station, take the service road.

In Plaeng Yao take the 331 to Satahip/Rayong

When nearing Ban Lamung pay attention for the secondary road to Pattaya, just after you crossed route 36.

You will enter Pattaya, cross the railway line and next is Sukhumvit.

There the choice is yours.

The 304 is a nice route, and maybe they finished the roadworks by now.

Mind, on this route are 3 fixed police checkpoints

When going to visit friends in Pattaya, I always take this route.

Total about 620 km

Enjoy

Edited by hansnl

Thanks

We did this route a few months ago with 3 skylabs, from Udon Thani to Pattaya, very nice ride.

From Khon Kaen take the A12 to Korat, near Korat keep to the left to follow the route to Bangkok.

In Korat take the 304 to Pak Tong Chai-Wang Nam Khiao-Kabin Buri till Plaeng Yao.

Mind, the 304 is not very well "advertised", just before the entrance to this road is a petrol station, take the service road.

When nearing Ban Lamung pay attention for the secondary road to Pattaya, just after you crossed route 36.

Total about 620 km

Enjoy

FYI, Hwy 304 from Korat to Phnom Sarakham was upgraded and rebuilt by the U.S. Army 809th Engineer Bn, the 538th Engr Bn, the 561st Engr Co., and associated subunits, starting in 1963 on to about '68-'69. The 809th also did Hwy 331 down to Sattahip.

Mac

Thanks

Total about 620 km

Enjoy

near Korat keep to the left to follow the route to Bangkok.

Sorry, I disagree with that, Take route 2 from Khon Kaen and I would take the right fork and avoid the traffic in Korat (Nakhon ratchasima)

http://www.thailand-guide.org/thailand/nak...ima/map-big.htm

This link will show you the map and you will see that by keeping to the right you will be on the bypass that links directly to the 304 with no turn offs at all. If you go left you will get snarled in traffic and almost certainly miss the turning.

I think the total distance is about 530 Km

Edited by loong

Thanks

Total about 620 km

Enjoy

near Korat keep to the left to follow the route to Bangkok.

Sorry, I disagree with that, Take route 2 from Khon Kaen and I would take the right fork and avoid the traffic in Korat (Nakhon ratchasima)

http://www.thailand-guide.org/thailand/nak...ima/map-big.htm

This link will show you the map and you will see that by keeping to the right you will be on the bypass that links directly to the 304 with no turn offs at all. If you go left you will get snarled in traffic and almost certainly miss the turning.

I think the total distance is about 530 Km

Much obliged

TIA

For sure - no problem.

I am well versed in both the route Chiang Mai - Pattya and also best 'pit-stops'...

so it will be interesting to see how I fare.

As a BTW, I have decided to leave a day early to avoid KK Songkran gridlock and will drive

morning of Saturday 11 April.

Gladiator

Courtesy of Goggle maps a freebie. Starts you out on 2 from the center of town.

Just Search Goggle for Goggle Maps, it route you just about anywhere you want to go did I menion it was free :o

Want to do something different make you destination to something want to see and make that your first end point.

Start another for your next stop.

Actually it's pretty good if you play wih a bit, have fun

Add Destination - Show optionsHide options

miles kmmiles km

Avoid highways miles km

Avoid tolls

miles km

Depart at Arrive by Last available

at

Sort by: no express

no airplane

Transit line:

By carWalking

Note: Public transit coverage may not be available in this area.

Driving directions to Pattaya, Amphoe Bang La Mung, Changwat Chonburi, Thailand

463 km – about 7 hours 1 min

Khon KaenThailand

1. Head north 0.3 km

2. Turn right 0.9 km

3. Turn right 0.2 km

4. Turn right 0.4 km

5. Turn right 0.3 km

6. Turn right 1.2 km

7. Turn right toward Mittraphap 6.6 km

8. Slight right at Mittraphap 13 m

9. Turn right at Route 2/Mittraphap/National Hwy No. 2

Continue to follow Route 2/Mittraphap 25.9 km

10. Slight left at Route 2 117 km

11. Continue on Route 304 24.2 km

12. Turn left to stay on Route 304 4.4 km

13. Turn left to stay on Route 304 148 km

14. Slight left to stay on Route 304 25.8 km

15. Continue straight onto Route 331 83.5 km

16. Turn right at Route 3240 3.3 km

17. Turn left to stay on Route 3240 3.7 km

18. Sharp right onto the ramp to Route 36/National Hwy No. 36 0.1 km

19. Keep left at the fork to continue toward Route 36/National Hwy No. 36 and merge onto Route 36/National Hwy No. 36

Continue to follow Route 36 8.4 km

20. Slight left to stay on Route 36 0.5 km

21. Slight left at Route 3/Sukhumvit

Continue to follow Route 3 8.0 km

22. Turn right at Route 3/Sukhumvit 28 m

23. Continue on Phatthaya Klang 1.3 km

PattayaAmphoe Bang La Mung, Changwat Chonburi, Thailand

Godd point I enjoyed it on the bike, but need a much room. I that the one where the Highway Police sit up and fine everyone for crossing the yellow line. Trust me you will slow trucks all the way up. You see cars flashing their lights at you that what it means.

They don't have anyone watching just a valid assumption

This is an option that I prefer.

Take the 2 all the way to Sara Buri.

Switch to the 1 going toward Bangkok at Sara Buri.

Stay on the 1 till you get to the 9 (Outer Ring Road East). Watch for Suvarnabhumi Airport sign it directs you to Outer Ring Road East.

Stay on the 9 (Outer Ring Road East) till you get to the 7 (Bangkok-Chon Buri expressway). Again the airport signs will put you on the 7.

Take 7 toward Chon Buri/Pattaya and stay on the 7 until it dead ends at the 36 then take exit to Pattaya.

Follow the signs to Pattaya.

I think much quicker with less hassle than 304/331 route and very well marked.

Edited by ballbreaker

Stay on the 1 till you get to the 9 (Outer Ring Road East). Watch for Suvarnabhumi Airport sign it directs you to Outer Ring Road East.

Stay on the 9 (Outer Ring Road East) till you get to the 7 (Bangkok-Chon Buri expressway). Again the airport signs will put you on the 7.

Take 7 toward Chon Buri/Pattaya and stay on the 7 until it dead ends at the 36 then take exit to Pattaya.

+1

It's the better way to go in Pattaya from Khon Khaen

As the above two posts suggest, take Hwy 2 from KK to Saraburi, then Hwy1 - Hwy9 - Hwy7 - Hwy 36 - Hwy 3 to Pattaya, 4x 30 Baht in Tolls on Hwy 7 and 9. Much faster (safer) route than the 304 via Kabinburi, 7.5 hours the other night door to door - including getting held up in BKK bypass (Hwy 9) evening traffic.

Cross country is fine if you are sightseeing - but it's a longer route (measured in time) with more cross traffic joining the road. Consider the day of week and time of day that you will be passing BKK - traffic delays to be expected.

Road travel in the few days before Songkran is busy.

Done this route many times and concur

From Bangkok, take the Highway marked No. 1 to Saraburi and Highway No. 2 to Udon Thani via Nakhon Ratchasima and Khon Kaen Provinces, a total distance of 564 kilometers. you pass a beautiful lake to your left of the highway 30km south of korat a great place to stop for lunch the trip can be completed in 6 hours but give yourself more time at holidays and other busy times

Agree,thats the route I took.

EPG.

Highway 304 over the mountains has not been completely dualed. There are two stretches of about 10-15 kilometers each that are still the windy, narrow, truck filled roads. They are working on the roads and doing a surprisingly good job of completing the dual highway.

I have not taken the route through BKK yet, although I will probably try it this month. I make the trip from 90 kilometers west of Nong Bua Lamphu and have always taken the 331-304 route. I drove last Friday in 7 hours 20 minutes from East Pattaya to the village on the Udorn-Loei highway.

I was traveling by myself so I only had to answer to my bladder and the gas gauge. Usually it's an 8 1/2 to 9 hour drive from here to Pattaya.

Edit in: One thing that will slow you down are all the police checks and speed traps they have set up. I counted six of them this time but I only had to bribe two of them with 100 baht each.

Edited by chuckd

Well, after reading all the good reports about the fast track from Khon Kaen to Pattaya via routes 2/1/9/7 out of Korat, we decided to try it yesterday.

It was a very pleasant drive for the first 60-80 kilometers from Korat when we hit a road block. Police had erected signs saying the road ahead was closed and we were detoured off Route 2.

Now picture this....all the traffic traveling on Highway 2 from Korat to Bangkok is shunted off a six lane divided highway onto a two lane, two way goat track through the mountains.

This threw us nearly into Nakorn Nayok where we teamed up with Highway 305, which took us to the Outer Ring Road.

My first venture of trying the quick route took me 9 hours and 45 minutes and was exactly 84 kilometers longer than the more direct 304/331 route through the mountains.

Not a happy experience.

Well, after reading all the good reports about the fast track from Khon Kaen to Pattaya via routes 2/1/9/7 out of Korat, we decided to try it yesterday.

It was a very pleasant drive for the first 60-80 kilometers from Korat when we hit a road block. Police had erected signs saying the road ahead was closed and we were detoured off Route 2.

Now picture this....all the traffic traveling on Highway 2 from Korat to Bangkok is shunted off a six lane divided highway onto a two lane, two way goat track through the mountains.

This threw us nearly into Nakorn Nayok where we teamed up with Highway 305, which took us to the Outer Ring Road.

My first venture of trying the quick route took me 9 hours and 45 minutes and was exactly 84 kilometers longer than the more direct 304/331 route through the mountains.

Not a happy experience.

Never had that problem in five years making the run and during the last two its has been a monthly trip.

I drove from Buri Ram to Bangkok via the hill road on Sunday. Route 304 from Pak Chong Chai to the top of the hill is wide and good. There's still roadwork in progress going through the hills, with traffic sometimes diverted to the newly built two lanes which form the north-bound route while a section of the old highway is being rebuilt. Even if you get stuck behind a 10-wheeler there are places you can see well enough to pass, just watch out for the impatient idiots. Once you hit Prachin Buri there is still a stretch of several kilometres of downhill corrugated road, one lane each way. The trucks are very slow here, up and down. So again, watch out for the impatient idiots in their cars. But it doesn't last forever. Apart from that it's a good road. :o

Thinking my encounter with the detour might be a once in 5 years event, I tried the Bangkok route to return up-country from Pattaya to the Udorn-Loei highway. There was no detour so my batting average is a healthy .500 on this issue.

Without the detour, the route through Sara Buri and BKK comes to a grand total of 727 kilometers from my home in Pattaya to my home up-country. This compares to 660 kilometers using the 303-331 route through the mountains. The BKK routing is 67 kilometers farther. :o

Without the detour, but fighting the BKK traffic, the trip took 9 hours and 34 minutes. The more direct 304-331 route usually takes 8-9 hours when traveling with my family, stopping for meals and the ubiquitous pit stops, and a little over 7 hours when traveling alone. The BKK route is at least one hour longer for me. :D

My very firm belief is there will be little chance I will ever take the route through BKK again.

I cannot recommend anybody using the BKK route, unless you are afraid of the mountain stretch and the many trucks you must pass along the way. :D

Thanks

Start Google Earth

Click the "directions" Tab

Type in from : "Khon Kaen, Thailand "

Type in to : "Pattaya, Thailand"

And Google Earth will show you on the map excactly the route and the distance .

Would appreciate any further comments after you have driven it.

This is one I will be doing later.

TIA

I left Khon Kaen at 0615 on Saturday 11th April and arrived Pattaya at 1315 with kilometre at 490 K.Full tank of diesel.

Took the Highway 2 to Kolat

Highway 304 over the mountains

Highway 331 to go into Pattaya

Only one manned police road block

The left hand lane on the 2 to Kolat is in poor condition but try to avoid staying too long in the right hand lane as there are lots of concealed police units.

When I got to Kolat I did not like the look of the cones on the right hand pass so took the left hand. There were some traffic lights but no big deal.

The drive through the mountains was as posted. No problem geting by the trucks if you are careful. But there was the Mother of all traffic jams coming in the other direction with Songkran traffic.

On the 304 - stay sharp as there is one part where the 304 is signposted in 2 directions. Follow signs for Kabin Buri.

My room in Pattaya is on Soi 4 (Soi Asia) on the hill. So I elected to stay on the 331 and cross over the 36. Approximatly 2 kilometres there is an ATC/Mobile Phone tower on the right and a buss shelter. Turn right. Straight on for 8 kilometres (the road becomes Huay Yai Road). Turn right at the traffic lights on to Sukumvit and the left again at Tesco Lotus.

Would appreciate any further comments after you have driven it.

This is one I will be doing later.

TIA

I left Khon Kaen at 0615 on Saturday 11th April and arrived Pattaya at 1315 with kilometre at 490 K.Full tank of diesel.

Took the Highway 2 to Kolat

Highway 304 over the mountains

Highway 331 to go into Pattaya

Only one manned police road block

The left hand lane on the 2 to Kolat is in poor condition but try to avoid staying too long in the right hand lane as there are lots of concealed police units.

When I got to Kolat I did not like the look of the cones on the right hand pass so took the left hand. There were some traffic lights but no big deal.

The drive through the mountains was as posted. No problem geting by the trucks if you are careful. But there was the Mother of all traffic jams coming in the other direction with Songkran traffic.

So true… I was stuck here on my way from Pattaya to Surin. The last few kilometers before the climb up the mountains it was stop and go for about 1 ½ hours. Did the same mistake last year, and drove up on the first Saturday of Songkran. Guess I now have learned my lesson… The drive, 420Km, took us close to 9 hours, it's usually 6-7 hours depending on how many stops we do on the way. Alone I do it in about 5 hours if the traffic is light.

On the 304 - stay sharp as there is one part where the 304 is signposted in 2 directions. Follow signs for Kabin Buri.

My room in Pattaya is on Soi 4 (Soi Asia) on the hill. So I elected to stay on the 331 and cross over the 36. Approximatly 2 kilometres there is an ATC/Mobile Phone tower on the right and a buss shelter. Turn right. Straight on for 8 kilometres (the road becomes Huay Yai Road). Turn right at the traffic lights on to Sukumvit and the left again at Tesco Lotus.

I also prefer this route, as I live in Jomtien, and then don't have to go through the Pattaya traffic, it's a nice timesaver.

Thank you guys for this helpful post.

Everytime and I mean EVERYTIME I drive from outside of KK to Pattaya I get lost or get that sick feeling in my stomach that I am going the wrong way until I get close in to Chonburi and see that tiny little pattaya sign and then feel so much better.

Coming back from Pattaya for some strange reason is nice and easy, plenty of signs to assure you are going the right way.

But going to Pattaya from the north Issan area is always a nightmare for me.

Gladiator:

Thank you for pointing out that the 304 is duel posted for two different directions. That is where I screw up everytime and I always forget which way I veered the previous time.

I also drive down at different times of the day and night which doesn't help things because the landmarks and signposts all look different at 3 in the morning then they do at 3 in the afternoon. I should try driving only in the day, but at my age (almost 60) I just go when I get that feeling to go. If I try to plan things I end up not sleeping the day before which makes me to tired to drive the following day.

It's a bitch getting old.

Also Gladiator, next time I go I will try your idea of crossing over the 36 staying on 331 and hope I can see the ATC/Mobile phone tower and then turn right to Huay Ya Road as my getaway venue is in Jomtiem and I hate coming into town from north Pattaya.

Thanks to all who posted here and Ray, I will try the Google map thing again but I never was good at reading maps. I always prefer making a mental map / picture in what is left of my brain.

Edited by just_another_guy

Thank you guys for this helpful post.

Everytime and I mean EVERYTIME I drive from outside of KK to Pattaya I get lost or get that sick feeling in my stomach that I am going the wrong way until I get close in to Chonburi and see that tiny little pattaya sign and then feel so much better.

Coming back from Pattaya for some strange reason is nice and easy, plenty of signs to assure you are going the right way.

But going to Pattaya from the north Issan area is always a nightmare for me.

Gladiator:

Thank you for pointing out that the 304 is duel posted for two different directions. That is where I screw up everytime and I always forget which way I veered the previous time.

I also drive down at different times of the day and night which doesn't help things because the landmarks and signposts all look different at 3 in the morning then they do at 3 in the afternoon. I should try driving only in the day, but at my age (almost 60) I just go when I get that feeling to go. If I try to plan things I end up not sleeping the day before which makes me to tired to drive the following day.

It's a bitch getting old.

Also Gladiator, next time I go I will try your idea of crossing over the 36 staying on 331 and hope I can see the ATC/Mobile phone tower and then turn right to Huay Ya Road as my getaway venue is in Jomtiem and I hate coming into town from north Pattaya.

Thanks to all who posted here and Ray, I will try the Google map thing again but I never was good at reading maps. I always prefer making a mental map / picture in what is left of my brain.

Yes - You get my vote! It's a bitch getting old.! Which is why I generally top-up at PTT/7-11 Petrol Stations, many of which have 'Western' toilets' for old gits like me.

Once you go over the 36 - you will see two ATC/Mobile Phone Towers on your left. Slow down and you will shortly see the one on the right and the bus shelter. Maybe two kilometres. Turn right at the bus shelter. I don;t think that it is a named road from that end. Once you turn right just follow the road for approx. 8 kilometres until you come to Sumumvit and then turn right. On the map it may seem somewhat of a dogleg but for sure it saves going all the way down Sukumvit from the other end if you are heading for South Pattaya or Jomtiem

Good luck!