Is The Car Lost?

redman

Man bought a new car 50% down and 2 years finance. Because it was a finance deal, his gf had to be involved in the paperwork. Of course, the forms were all in Thai, but he thought it was in joint names. Year later and they are splitting up. He still owes 11 months to the lender ( 200,000b, I think it was a Toyota special deal). Now they are splitting up and she says the car is hers and he can go <deleted> himself. He is in Australia and was sending money for the payments, but now wonders what his options are.

I reckon he is in deep sh*t, but I wonder what are his options. Any advice?

Man bought a new car 50% down and 2 years finance. Because it was a finance deal, his gf had to be involved in the paperwork. Of course, the forms were all in Thai, but he thought it was in joint names. Year later and they are splitting up. He still owes 11 months to the lender ( 200,000b, I think it was a Toyota special deal). Now they are splitting up and she says the car is hers and he can go <deleted> himself. He is in Australia and was sending money for the payments, but now wonders what his options are.

If he signed a credit contract in his name for all or 50/50 with the girlfriend, than he is legally responsible to pay back whatever percentage of the debt he agreed to pay.

As there is no marriage involved he cannot sue for 50% of the value of the car, therefore the Thai courts will regard the vehicle as a gift for the girlfriend.

His only option is to cease payments to the credit company and let them repossess it.

Under Thai law if the loaners are unable to take legal action against the respondent for 10 years, than the debt is written off.

These law manuals are the actual books that Thai lawyers call the Lawyers Bibles. Well worth buying.

There are 3 books:

1. Title: THE CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL CODE.

Compiled & translated by Kamol Sandhikshetrin

This is a thick hardback book each Act is covered by 1 page in Thai and another in perfect English.

1000 baht.

The cover is red (left) white (centre) and blue (right) running down vertically from top to bottom of the cover.

2. Title: THE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CODE.

Translated by Mr. Yongyuth V`s yuthankun

This is a thick soft back book each Act is covered by 1 page in Thai and another in perfect English.

230 baht.

3. Title: THE CRIMINAL CODE

TRANSLATED THAI – ENGLISH

Translated by Mr. Yongyuth V`s yuthankun

This is a thick soft back book each Act is covered by 1 page in Thai and another in perfect English.

250 baht.

I purchased these books about a year ago, so prices may have increased.

Best 1480 baht I ever spent.

The Books can be purchased at any good bookshop in Thailand, but check that they are up to date.

The civil and commercial code : books I - VI and

glossary / compiled and translated by Kamol

Sandhikshetrin. - 8. ed. - Bangkok :

Nitibannagarn, 2007. - getr. Zählg.

Text in thailänd. u. engl. Sprache

ISBN 974-447-303-7

NE: Sandhikshetrin, Kamol

Edited by sassienie

Sounds to me like he's had a relatively inexpensive lesson of the way things are.

If he lives in Australia, why buy a car in Thailand?

He may have lost the payments that he's made on the car, so maybe he will think twice before foolishly buying a house or whatever for the next girlfriend.

Sounds like he needs to get his lazy a** to Thailand and find out the details of what he signed. As an alternative he can stop making payments and stay out of Thailand for 10 years and not worry about it anymore.

One other thing, don't forget the lesson he has learned.

Sounds like he needs to get his lazy a** to Thailand and find out the details of what he signed. As an alternative he can stop making payments and stay out of Thailand for 10 years and not worry about it anymore.

If the finance company starts an action within the 10 years that rule does not apply. Be careful

I personally think even if he stops making th payments there is plenty of collateral in the vehicle ( 50 per cent down and 12 payments made ) , she can sell it and pay off the balance, ( will have to be done at the time of sale,but can be done ),.best remember boys, loan to most thais translates to gift, which this has turned out to be,. :o Edited by imaneggspurt

If he does not have a copy he does need to see the paperwork he has signed and to get it translated so he knows what the situation is. Then he can decide what to do.

Maybe he could be sly and ask her to let him have a copy of the paperwork because he needs to make some checks so he can continue payments on the car and not have the Thai courts make trouble for him.

On the other hand he could simply stop paying. Seems like the company have ample credit on the car to repossess and not have to chase him for the balance. He could notify the company he is no longer working or whatever and does not have the money to pay and that she has the car and then they might chase her instead to at least get the car back.

Play dirty, the women often do :o

Stop payments and walk away..

I know many thais who have had cars taken back from them.. none were hounded by the credit companys.. Syure some letters and threats but all done and dusted without courts or anything. Chasing someone overseas ?? Forget it.

The car will still be in the name of the dealer / finance company until it is finally paid for.

They can either try to have the remaining debt repaid or reposses the car and sell it for the outstanding payments.

Suggets he just stop payments and let his ex sort the sh1t out unless there's a way he can prove that he has made the payments directly and gain possession of the car from the finance company by paying off the remaining debt.

The relationship had been going for over 4 years, they had not met in a bar, she was receptionist in an office where his mate worked. They both lived together for over 3 years in Thailand. The guy is in Australia because of financial problems with property he has there. His gf, of course, doesn't want to hear about his financial problems. She is using the car as a way to get him back to Thailand. In the beginning, she didn't even like the idea of him buying the car. Anyway, looks like he has lost it, now he can add it to the Thailand experience.

The relationship had been going for over 4 years, they had not met in a bar, she was receptionist in an office where his mate worked. They both lived together for over 3 years in Thailand. The guy is in Australia because of financial problems with property he has there. His gf, of course, doesn't want to hear about his financial problems. She is using the car as a way to get him back to Thailand. In the beginning, she didn't even like the idea of him buying the car. Anyway, looks like he has lost it, now he can add it to the Thailand experience.

I reckin if he were to turn up at the finance company and offer to pay the remaining money if his name was put on the Tabian Rot then he'd have no problems.

Remember the GF was likely the guarantor for HIM wit hthe credit company.

I reckin if he were to turn up at the finance company and offer to pay the remaining money if his name was put on the Tabian Rot then he'd have no problems.

What is the the Tabien Rot? Is that the ownership book or something financial like a "fully paid up" note? I have a truck and wonder if I have one now

Me thinks a few ways to look at this one:

FIRST: SHE DEALS WITH IT

If she is saying ''the car is hers, go <deleted>'' - then <deleted> to it. Let her deal with it if its not his.

SECOND: HE DEALS WITH IT

Otherwise it is his (or part his), in which case, I would have to wonder if the finance was really in joint names. Speak to the finance company. If not in joint names, and its in the gf or somebody else as a guarantor - then you are back to FIRST option, walk away and let them deal with the remaining installments. If it is a 50/50 thing, as the poster believes, then surely they will both be liable, and he will have to explain the notion of consequences to her (not part of Thai vocab.) Does she want that shit hanging around her neck? If its wholly the dudes liability, then take the car, sell it if need be, should be able to at least cover the outstanding finance.

THIRD: INSURANCE DEALS WITH IT

Leave it parked next to the Cambo border, or send it on some swimming lessons into the Chao Phraya.

I asked him a few questions about the finance deal, but he is in the dark about it, like many people he doesn't understand spoken or written Thai. As for payments, the 50% down payment was paid with a cashier cheque from his bank, and all the payments came from his bank. She only ever earned 7,000 baht a month, so obviously wouldn't ever be responsible for the payments, which he says are around 20,000 baht a month. Could it really be in her "name" if she hadn't paid a cent to it?

I asked him a few questions about the finance deal, but he is in the dark about it, like many people he doesn't understand spoken or written Thai. As for payments, the 50% down payment was paid with a cashier cheque from his bank, and all the payments came from his bank. She only ever earned 7,000 baht a month, so obviously wouldn't ever be responsible for the payments, which he says are around 20,000 baht a month. Could it really be in her "name" if she hadn't paid a cent to it?

Why not? It depends on what info she has obtained to secure the finance.

Perhaps she has roped in a family member/friend who has good credit rating to be guarantor.

Really need to ge hold of the finance company. If the g/f isnt playing ball - then go to the dealership and ask for the finance company details, or better still the contract he signed. Get them translated.

Well chances are it will be partly in "her" name as he would would have needed a Thai to Co-sign for the loan because he has no credit history in Thailand so seeing she would be standing as the Co-signatory for him, I would tell him not to bother carrying on paying as the company will go after her, more than likely repo the car...

Does he have a chance getting any cash back off the deal...not likely...time to cut the looses and run

This is you - isn't it?

.... thats right - he can go <deleted> himself - the car is almost certainly in her name - serves him right for not scrutinizing the paperwork with a fine toothcomb before putting his name to it - and there won't be much he can do about it!

But there is a good side of all this: its equally certain that he therefore isn't liabile for the payments - so he can stop throwing money at the investment, turn his back and walk away from it - and hopefully it will be a lesson learn't.

>>>>Why do people (farangs), in their supposed right minds, do things like this? It seems they are a "dime a dozen" in Thailand

Most bar girls have 1-4 suckers sending them cash every month, ask them, they will tell u

I was in a internet cafe here, a girl who looked desperate asked me to write a email for her in english as the usual thai guy who

does it wasnt there. So i though what the heck, help the girl out. So we sat down and replied to a guy in England and soon I

realized this was a buffalo letter trying to extort cash! I am like <deleted>! I was steaming mad as these things make me go ballistic

but i held it in and memorized the guys email address. Soon after I email the english guy from my email and told him its a scam and dont send her any $$$.

Well next day i get an email back from him telling me I am liar and his girl would NEVER try to do something like that! I replied

back and said she was asking me for advice for a believable story to get more cash out of you than the 30,000bt a month

u are already sending! Never heard back. She said the thai guy who does the emails is good at buffalo stories.

Above is the best advice, send someone along to the finance company with the registration number, ask them who's name the finance is in and who is the guarantor, I believe for him to be the guarantor he would have needed a WP, if the finance is in his name and she is the guarantor then they will indeed place it in his name if he pays the balance.

The easiest way would have been to have her sign a transfer document if the finance was in her name at the outset, that along with a copy of her ID card would have guaranteed ownership for him when payments are complete.