Minimum requirements for teaching at a uni

One important thing is to be a Native English Speaker.

If not, whet ever the qualifications are, you will find it hard to get an oportunity in a good university in Thailand.

I have gathered this by analysing advertisements for University Positions in Thailand, publised in various papers etc..

You may find some rear examples of non-native speakers employed by good universities.

The requirements are standard throughout Thailand. Unless you are a native English Speaker, there is very little opportunity.

As a native English speaker you are paid the same 25 000 baht month whether you have a Ph.D or a barely scraped degree (At a university or a rajabaht). And usually treated the same way as well.

Try the discussion board at www.ajarn.com for further nfo.

quoting Mowlem

As a native English speaker you are paid the same 25 000 baht month whether you have a Ph.D or a barely scraped degree (At a university or a rajabaht). And usually treated the same way as well.

Try the discussion board at www.ajarn.com for further nfo.

Teaching at a University requires a Masters degree, if you are teaching English they want a TESL certificate as well usually.

Universities tend to pay a little better 30,000B+. It really depends on what you are teaching. At Mahidol University in Salaya I was talking to a woman teaching ESL to foreign students in order for them to pass their TOEFL test...she was paid hourly by the University and said she could make 70,000 B this way.

I taught M4/M5 ESL and made 27,000 B Plus free room and return airfare. Typical High School/rajabaht rate seems to be 17,500 + 8,000 living allowance...so in retrospect I had a good deal I suppose.

I am out of the country and would have liked to return...but it is pretty difficult to land a job from N. America (they don't answer e-mails)...I kinda lucked into that first experience.

quoting Plachon

Do they help with (increased) visa and w/p costs too, or is that all down to the foreigner?

Pretty sure you would be looked after by a university. In my case the School looked after the price and getting of Visa extensions and Work Permit...which is a blessing. (never signed so many documents that I didn't understand in my life :o

Good High Schools should do that work for you...though you may have to pick up the tab.

Forget Language Schools...they run to the bone and don't provide much help at all....from my limited experience.