Taxi-meter

st11x

G'day,

I had to use the taxi services recently (and frequently) and noticed that from all my experiences so far, none of them would use the meter. If I rang them to pick me up, it would be 150 THB, going up Doi Suthep and back, 1000 THB.

I have never seen taxis plying the roads in the city either. Those smelly polluting red trucks charge the same!

So where is the meter part in the "taxi-meter"?

Matt

I have never had a problem getting a metered taxi. And I never use one that refuses to use the meter. Fares are fairly standard, such as from the airport to the city or out to Mae Rim. THB 1,000 to go to Doi Suthep seems kind of high. We hired a van and driver last week when friends visited CM, using him for a 12-hour day. He was a friend of a (Thai) family friend so that helped a bit, but that price range is about right anyway. He drove us all over the place, taking us to Doi Suthep, Doi Pui, downtown for dining etc all for THB 1,500 plus his fuel--about THB 350. I sense that you are trying to do this without the help of a Thai companion; having one along will definitely lower the fare. Without one, you are at the mercy of your conversational Thai and your ability to strike a friendly bargain.

No, there really is a problem with the metered taxis in CM. The last time I flew in to CM via international, it was 1am, and all the metered taxis would only take us for a flat 200B or 250B, cant remember. They refused to use the meter. One even laughed at us and said, "where you going to go, theres no one else". That made it certain that I would not use him, got the TGF to talk to a red song taow and off we went. Airport taxi flat fee my arse. Same thing each time I call one to pick me up, they always state a flat fee.

edited for grahammmer

I have to disagree in part. I routinely take trips outside of the country and return to CNX. On the occasions that my wife cannot pick me up, I take a metered taxi. It is ALWAYS a flat rate of THB 360 to travel to my home well north of the city. We have taken 'metered' taxis in and around Chiang Mai on occasion when our one car wasn't enough (we have a large family and occasionally using a taxi makes good sense). The driver ALWAYS set the meter but this was during busy business days, not at nights. My understanding of their costs makes the THB 360 a fair one and I don't argue...it is the standard rate for all metered taxis from CNX out to Mae Rim. If they would try to gouge me for more (they ever have) I would have to negotiate the fare. Moreover, my Thai wife and/or daughter has arrived at CNX and always been presented with exactly the same fare...they are not trying to cheat a Farang at all.

However, that being said, I was told that if you arrive late at night, they will not want to use the meter and will assess a flat rate. This flat rate is based somewhat on where you want to go in the city and the driver's assessment that he can or will not be able to find another fare close by your destination. He also has to factor in the trip to the airport to pick you up if he is not already there. There's not a great demand at 1 AM from the airport.

One of our friends is a taxi driver (metered Isuzu) and he explained that all local taxi drivers are feeling a strong pinch from rising fuel prices and the taxi company's take. The fare basis hasn't been increased accordingly to reflect reality. Most drivers work horrendously long hours as it is to try to make a decent living and then it is still not enough. I wouldn't chalk this up as greed or intransigence at helping a foreigner. Act like a typical arrogant, holier-than-thou Farang and you will get it back straight away. Act friendly and they will act friendly back and be more willing to negotiate a fair flat rate. Not always of course, but keeping a friendly demeanor and smile on your face definitely helps.

I guess the real issue is this: is paying an extra THB 50-100 that much of a sacrifice at 1 AM to take you in a dry, safe (well, safer) vehicle to where you want to go? Or would you rather stomp away angry and feel as if they are always trying to cheat you?

G'Evening, Khun G'Day,

In ten tries over the last 18 months (usually in front of Airport Plaza) I have never had a meter-Taxi driver willing to turn the meter on.

I believe the meter is actually a fetish used for supernatural purposes.

~o:37;

G'Evening, Khun G'Day,

In ten tries over the last 18 months (usually in front of Airport Plaza) I have never had a meter-Taxi driver willing to turn the meter on.

I believe the meter is actually a fetish used for supernatural purposes.

I've never had them tell me no... If you ask them politely with a smile, it's not the way to do it. You need to TELL them to turn it on.

Most drivers work horrendously long hours as it is to try to make a decent living and then it is still not enough.

the reason they have to work "horrendously long hours " is because they spend most of the working day sat at the airport or airport plaza refusing to go anywhere if they have to turn the meter on.

They will never use a meter to my house in Maejo from CNX. It is a flat rate of 300 baht unless you arrive late at night at which time you must negotiate with the driver. Certainly no possibility of a meter being used.

I lived in BKK for 2 years and this same journey would be between 120 - 150 baht on the meter.

Taxis are a complete rip off in chiang mai.

I have used the taxis quite a few times. Up until about 4 months ago they always used the meter. Now, it seems that they have changed their policy and request a flat fee. I've taken 4 taxis since January and they all asked for 200 Baht regardless of where I was going. On Friday I got stuck in the storm and hailed a taxi. It was 200 Baht from the moat to Mae Jo. If you take the taxi from CNX you must pay a 50 Baht commission to the company.

I've never had them tell me no... If you ask them politely with a smile, it's not the way to do it. You need to TELL them to turn it on.

Are you using your psychic powers to look back in the past here ? If so, there's no point my telling you that I always smile except when when writing to idiots.

Are you using your psychic powers to look back in the past here ? If so, there's no point my telling you that I always smile except when when writing to idiots.

Then you certainly aren't smiling now, but I am...I didn't state anyone was saying it politely with a smile..Just said that's not the way to do it. Your interpretive skills leave something to be desired. Psychic powers :o You're a sad specimen if you can't get a single taxi driver to turn on the meter in a period of 18 months.

The taxi services in Chiang Mai are a joke, every time I've tried to use them they have requested a flat fare.

The only advantage I see in taking one is the air conditioning but they sit all day at the airport or the mall, bus station or wherever doing absolutely nothing and the cars are so freaking hot inside that it really doesn't matter because you reach your destination before the car cools down.

Forget them, there is a reason why Thai people don't widely use them in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Digitalman

At the times when I would need a meter taxi it was always a flat fare, and a very high one at that.

Buy a car. Or get someone to pick you up. Don't give them the business until they improve service. In Bangkok, meter taxis work. Everywhere else, they simply don't.

At the times when I would need a meter taxi it was always a flat fare, and a very high one at that.

Buy a car. Or get someone to pick you up. Don't give them the business until they improve service. In Bangkok, meter taxis work. Everywhere else, they simply don't.

We dropped an Avis car back to the Airport last Tuesday. To get back to our house, a distance of about 6 kms we were standing next to the "120 baht to the city" sign we were quoted 180 baht. We declined and walked outside and hailed a passing taxi for 120 baht.Ok its only 60 baht difference but there were at least a dozen drivers lounging around outside the terminal building and they are just not interested in putting on the meter. Our driver earned about 100 baht for the trip after expenses.Not bad for 25 minutes work when the av salary is around 300 baht a day in these parts of the world. What is the point of a meter if they only are intesested in giving you a flat fee without knowing the distance. Compared with Bangkok taxis I think the locals are doing OK>

• 3 months later...

Would like some advice about the taxi from the airport please.

My Thai wife and I are coming to Chiang Mai at the end of the month for a few days. Arriving lunchtime Friday. We need to get to the hotel 'U' in Central part of CM. The worst part of any trip for me is this taxi hassle. I would walk if I could to avoid them!!!

Its looks to me though, if I just go to the taxi queue and pay a flat fare then there will be no major hassle. It seems about 200 baht is fair??? Is that correct???

Thanks for the advice.

Would like some advice about the taxi from the airport please.

My Thai wife and I are coming to Chiang Mai at the end of the month for a few days. Arriving lunchtime Friday. We need to get to the hotel 'U' in Central part of CM. The worst part of any trip for me is this taxi hassle. I would walk if I could to avoid them!!!

Its looks to me though, if I just go to the taxi queue and pay a flat fare then there will be no major hassle. It seems about 200 baht is fair??? Is that correct???

Thanks for the advice.

That hotel is definitely in the 120 bht area, whereas the 6km that someone was saying they were expecting for the same price is not. If you get any resitance just tell them you've done the trip loads of times before. If you really can't find a ride with the Taxi co-op group (there's an office near the exit) don't pay more than 160bht.

If all else fails with the negotiation look at the lower part of the airport in front where the songtaws drop off. Try to grab one there I paid 60 Baht to the Night Bazarre. 2 people with luggage.

When that fails I walk to the main entrance where they turn to enter the airport.

I picked one up there.

Lots of luggage and a pressing wife will make that option a problem.

But I will not pay their flat fees unless they have me cornered.

I have learned to travel lite for this reason.

If all else fails with the negotiation look at the lower part of the airport in front where the songtaws drop off. Try to grab one there I paid 60 Baht to the Night Bazarre. 2 people with luggage.

When that fails I walk to the main entrance where they turn to enter the airport.

I picked one up there.

Lots of luggage and a pressing wife will make that option a problem.

But I will not pay their flat fees unless they have me cornered.

I have learned to travel lite for this reason.

Good thinking.

I'm off to NZ next week and I'll make sure I travel light, so I can save 40 baht upon my return to CM.

Thanks for the advice. We are flying in from Bangkok. So when we get the luggage off the conveyor belt, where do go. Is the exit on the same level?? Sorry to seem so fussy and in need of directions, but I have found with taxi drivers and their touts - that if you slow down and look lost they 'pounce'. I want to fool them into thinking I know where I am going :)

Thanks for the advice. We are flying in from Bangkok. So when we get the luggage off the conveyor belt, where do go. Is the exit on the same level?? Sorry to seem so fussy and in need of directions, but I have found with taxi drivers and their touts - that if you slow down and look lost they 'pounce'. I want to fool them into thinking I know where I am going :)

It's on the same level. When you exit the baggage re-claim area turn left and head for the exit to the left of the Thai Airways ticket office. You will then be surrounded by taxi drivers. Just get your wife to tell them in a matter-of-fact way that you are going to the city centre and want the 120 Baht fare. You shouldn't have any problems.

It's on the same level. When you exit the baggage re-claim area turn left and head for the exit to the left of the Thai Airways ticket office. You will then be surrounded by taxi drivers. Just get your wife to tell them in a matter-of-fact way that you are going to the city centre and want the 120 Baht fare. You shouldn't have any problems.

You don't need to have a discussion with anyone - the downtown car service has a great big sign 'car to downtown 120 baht'. Just go to the counter, tell the girl where you want to go and she will give you a slip of paper with the price on which you give to the driver...it's hassle free. :D

You don't need to have a discussion with anyone - the downtown car service has a great big sign 'car to downtown 120 baht'. Just go to the counter, tell the girl where you want to go and she will give you a slip of paper with the price on which you give to the driver...it's hassle free. :)

I agree. I use the taxi every time I arrive in Chiang Mai and my hotel is within easy walking distance from the airport (3km). I just don't want to carry two suitcases that far. I don't mind paying 120 baht for a short ride and I've never had any hassle. But, because I know it is a VERY short trip for them I don't bother with a tip. When going to the airport I travel by red bus or tuk tuk and it costs me about 60 baht. I don't like haggling over what amounts to a couple of dollars. It cost me over $60 to get from London to Gatwick airport. It's almost the same to get from Vancouver to its airport.

There are ways to save money in Thailand, but taxis are a convenience I'm willing to utilize for saving time. I ALWAYS insist on a meter taxi in Bangkok and won't use a non-meter one. But, depending on the ride I normally leave a large enough tip to satisfy the driver.

Great - thanks for the good advice everyoone. Its not the money that I am concerned about as such - its the hassle from the touts and not knowing what you are getting. I am sure we all have stories about taxis and tuk-tuk etc... not going where asked etc.., so the advice here will help me avoid that.

I think I will 'look after the suitcase' while I get my wife to find the 'downtown car service' and get that piece of paper with the details on. Sounds the least aggro.

Thanks again.

I think I will 'look after the suitcase' while I get my wife to find the 'downtown car service' and get that piece of paper with the details on. Sounds the least aggro.

Thanks again.

After travelling in NA and Europe, the sign 'Taxi to Downtown 120 Baht' at an international airport, must rank as one of the great world signs!

... the downtown car service has a great big sign 'car to downtown 120 baht'. Just go to the counter, tell the girl where you want to go and she will give you a slip of paper with the price on which you give to the driver...it's hassle free.

I will second that recommendation from "Uptheos".

I frequently use that car service, and all my experiences have been positive.

Here are some more details which may be helpful:

The service is actually AOT (Airports of Thailand) Limousine Service.

They are easy to spot and easy to distinguish from the multi-color "Taxi Meter".

AOT Limo cars are always silver or white, while the "Taxi Meter" are bright yellow and blue, or yellow and green.

Never any meters in the AOT cars.

The drivers always wear gray uniform shirts with a round, blue and gray AOT patch on the front or on the sleeve, while "Taxi Meter" drivers are just in casual clothes.

Sometimes, at airport arrivals, an AOT man -- wearing the gray uniform shirt -- will politely approach and ask if I want a taxi.

They are always respectful, and I've never had any problem with a pushy attitude (not in Chiangmai).

Their job is merely to guide you over to the AOT dispatcher.

The dispatcher is always a polite Thai woman, with reasonable English, (although in the wee hours of the night, that may change).

You will be quoted a fixed fee to your destination.

Your destination and that fee will be written on a dispatch form and you will be given a copy.

There are no extra charges of any kind, although I always tip the driver 50 or 100 baht.

The dispatcher will also tell you the number of the car.

If a busy time, there may be several AOT limos moving around, so you look for the number on the hind-quarter.

The driver will also check your dispatch form to be sure you are matched up correctly.

Then off you go.

AOT limos are consistently clean inside.

The drivers have always been polite and helpful, but don't expect much English.

They do know the city very well so you'll be assured of getting where you want to go.

In addition, I'd like to pass along this recommendation:

I often use the AOT limos instead of meter taxis, for my routine errands around town.

I call them and rent the car and driver to go anywhere I need to go.

The driver will take you to each location, and wait while you do your shopping, etc.

Rate: 250/hour (July, 2009)

You can also rent an AOT limo for sightseeing, although I've never done that.

That may be at a fixed fee per day or half-day, I don't know.

Finally, you can call them to take you from your hotel or home to the airport.

AOT Limo phone number: 05-320-1307 (Chiangmai)

More tips:

If you're not confident about your Thai language, have your Thai girl friend call and make the arrangements for the car.

Or the front desk at your hotel.

If you're going to multiple locations, such as for shopping, have them write out -- in Thai, of course -- each destination in the correct order.

If the driver doesn't know exactly where you want to go, call that destination on your mobile phone, then just hand your mobile to the driver.

The Thais will work out the directions, and you'll get there directly.

I highly recommend AOT Limos in Chiangmai.

However, travelers should take note that AOT Limos in Bangkok have a different style of operations.

I've never used them in Bangkok, so can't comment, and, anyway, that would be a different forum topic.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

the fuel cost claim by the driver shows just how they bullshit you ,they have almost no cost at all as far as fuel is concerned since they almost entirely use the government subsidized lp gas if not the even cheaper compressed natural gas.

i am not sure how it works but thai taxi and tuk tuk and songtheaw drivers are for the most part the worst thai society has to offer.they are rednecks and redshirts,their mafia will keep chiang mai forever choking from pollution and free of real public transportation .

they are the people you saw blowing the asian meeting in pattaya earlier this year.thugs whenever they get the chance.

meter my ass-forget that.

the fuel cost claim by the driver shows just how they bullshit you ... thugs whenever they get the chance. meter my ass-forget that.

I will chime in with a counter-point.

In Thailand, I often pay more than the meter, or more than the quoted fare.

If I'm quoted, say, 150 baht to go to my destination, I'll hand the driver 200, with a smile and a thank you.

I hold my right hand up, palm facing out, to signal that I don't want any change.

Since my Thai is pretty decent, I'll also explain, in Thai, "These are difficult times, so we must help each other, na."

What a wonderful smile I get in return.

You can see the extra energy it gives the driver.

I am pleased to offer this to the drivers who work long hours, at very low pay, in order to make my life here more comfortable.

Now I will add another more name to my "Ignore User List" on this forum, (but I won't mention any name specifically). :)

If anyone has questions about using the "Ignore", you are welcome to contact me.

I will be most happy to assist.

"Ignore User" is my favourite feature on this forum, and frequent use makes my reading of Thai Visa ever more comfortable.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai