Chiang Mai - Adams Apple Re-opening

scorecard

OK...here are the facts to try to clear up all the rumors and misinformation!

The owner (Todd) is from Los Angeles. He just moved permanently to Chiang Mai earlier this month. He will try his best to get the downstairs bar "METRO" open for Songkran. METRO is a regular full bar with realxing atmosphere and light food. A good place to chat and meet people. Upstairs will eventually be ADAMS APPLE. Much the same as before but with a bigger bar and stage and more seating. It WILL NOT be open for Songkran but hopefully within two months after. He is a good guy and I wish him all the best!

PS--The place looks great!

• 1 month later...
Anyone know if Adam's Apple is finally open? If so, what sort of bar is it now?

The downstairs bar Metro, still wasn't open last time I was there a few days back, but should be sometime this month. This will be an upscale indoor lounge bar type place, not a go-go.

Upstairs will be a more full on venue :) somewhat in the style of the old Adam's Apple :D (I'm trying to be discreet here.....) but won't be open for a few weeks yet apparently. I hear they've hired the manager from the old and recently deceased Coffee Boy. I mean the bar being recently dceased, not the manager, though some may dispute that fact :D Oh well, very brave business decision that, can't imagine he/she would have been most people's first choice :D

Also of interest to fans of the old Adam's Apple should be the new bar opening soon just up the road next to the spirit house. I don't know the name but the rumours are they will offer some very interesting services that I'm not going to mention here....... Looks like it will be open before Adams.

Then there's the business of a former captain from Adam's called "Spa at home" recently opened up in that area which offers an outcall massage service with some very cute staff.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently the new downstairs bar Metro is finally now open for business! :) I hear it is extremely smart, with no expense spared decor and attracting quite a crowd. Adam's Apple, upstairs should be open in about 6-8 weeks from now with a staff of sixty plus. Should be interesting :D

Rumour has it the new bar along the road, next to Spirit House will be called Cockpit.......... aptly, if somewhat unimaginatively named if what's been promised is true :D

Another rumour is a large new Gay boutique hotel complete with bars and entertainment venues is coming to Chiang Mai soon too. Anyone hear about this?

It's the hotel next to Chiang Mai Ram Hospital and only the top one or two floors will be exclusively gay!

That sounds extremely silly! "Hi welcome to our hotel, You must be a gay person to stay on the top floor".

Surely it should be the "Top" and "Bottom" floors? I mean just like the hanky code :D That way if you bring a visitor home with you and head for the eleator they'd know what to expect :)

Or will it be the type of place that leaves free condoms AND lube in every room and has 24 hour gay adult movies on all TV channels? Or maybe Pink and chintz decor?

OMG I honestly thought this was going to be an update on some post-op trannie or something... haha Never been to CM. :) (adams apple reopening... sounded very painful, I actually skipped this thread at first *blush*)

Back to Adam's Apple - is the go-go section now actually reopend?

Can a CM member please advise.

Adam's Apple is not open yet. However, the bar downstairs called METRO is open. The owner says Adam's will open in a couple of months.

Thank you Bungalowbill. I'll postpone my week-end get away for a couple of months.

Rumour has it the new bar along the road, next to Spirit House will be called Cockpit.......... aptly, if somewhat unimaginatively named if what's been promised is true :)

Confirmed by the Ratchada website (but mentioned only in the map section with this comment : New bar opening next to spirti house restaurant with interesting boy entertainment!).

Any review or first-hand report ?

Rumour has it the new bar along the road, next to Spirit House will be called Cockpit.......... aptly, if somewhat unimaginatively named if what's been promised is true :)

Confirmed by the Ratchada website (but mentioned only in the map section with this comment : New bar opening next to spirti house restaurant with interesting boy entertainment!).

Any review or first-hand report ?

Not open yet - about two weeks. I started another thread about new bars in CM as this is about Adams, more comments there.

• 4 weeks later...

Metro bar is a great little bar. It would fit in any fun city. I just don't understand why more people are not going...

I here so many people complain about not having cool places to go then not supporting someone trying to do it right. I know times are

tough but buying a drink or two I think people can manage. Lets support moving in the right direction.

For those who wonder I am not affiliated in anyway with the bar.

Metro bar is a great little bar. It would fit in any fun city. I just don't understand why more people are not going...

I here so many people complain about not having cool places to go then not supporting someone trying to do it right. I know times are

tough but buying a drink or two I think people can manage. Lets support moving in the right direction.

I've been thinking that there are two new go-go venues:

- The re-opening of Adams Apple, and

- Cockpit

But I'm now thinking perhaps I was wrong, and in fact Cockpit is the new name for the old Adams Apple.

Can someone local please clarify.

Thanks.

I've been thinking that there are two new go-go venues:

- The re-opening of Adams Apple, and

- Cockpit

But I'm now thinking perhaps I was wrong, and in fact Cockpit is the new name for the old Adams Apple.

Can someone local please clarify.

Thanks.

Definitely two separate bars. Adam's is still in the original location, upstairs from Metro bar, even has the sign on the wall nicely restored, as well as the red apple!

Cockpit, which is the rumour as to then name, no sign to confirm it yet, is about 150M past Adam's on the other side of the street. It's across the small soi running down the side of Spirit house restaurant. The owners are the same Thai family that have Spirit house (or where Free Guy 2 AKA Bar 66 used to be a few years back).

It's a small single story building with a door facing the street and no windows, painted in a garish orange and green colours like a Mexican roadside restaurant. Maybe a straight attempt at gay style interior design gone wrong :) The building looks finished but no sign of it opening anytime soon.

I agree with Allynn's comments about Metro bar, the problem is at the moment, there are no tourists in town and without Adam's not so much to attract the ex-pats just to drink in Metro. Some might drop in whilst visiting Spirit House/Garden bar but that's it. Parking is an issue too, Metro does have a car park but if you don't know where its hidden you might just drive on by. Many CM ex-pats are used to outdoor drinking in most of the venues, A/C big city living style comes as a shock!

I went to Metro the other night for the first time & what a great Bar just what was needed here in CM and the drink prices are the same as anywhere else you go but it has the upmarket atmosphere that I like & a decent glass to drink a beer from.

I was talking to the owner & he said Adams Apple will be open in about 4 weeks & it sounds like it will be great with similar style to Metro so I hope it is well supported by locals like me & visitors.

• 2 months later...

OPEN!!! OPEN!!! OPEN!!!! :D:D

The doors opened last Saturday for the first time and the place was packed! Standing room only and a real squeeze, but the place is absolutely fabulous. Decor, sound and light systems are like something from a high end club in Farang land. Nothing else in Chiang Mai even comes close. Fantastic selection of dancers, over 80 in total apparently (though not all on one night) and they are doing real go-go, not just a host bar with show :D . Show is good too, with some great ladyboy acts as well as the cute dancers. And great to see the return of some old friends along with plenty of fresh faces. A few nice suprises too.... I won't spoil them :D:D

I heard the first couple of weeks will be low key as they get everything working smoothly, but the grand opening party will be 9 October. :)

It's been a long time coming, and I for one was sceptical it would ever happen, but Pia the very sweet owner, and his boyfriend have really stuck to their plans, put his money where his mouth is and done a great job. Wish them very good luck. This should certainly re-envigorate the CM gay scene.

If you don't know about Adam's Apple Club check out their website: www.adamsappleclub.com

Scorecard: if you are planning another weekend here you might want to wait until after the grand opening. I guess the weekend before everything will be closed as there is a very contentious election for the new mayor (4 October)

OPEN!!! OPEN!!! OPEN!!!! :D:D

The doors opened last Saturday for the first time and the place was packed! Standing room only and a real squeeze, but the place is absolutely fabulous. Decor, sound and light systems are like something from a high end club in Farang land. Nothing else in Chiang Mai even comes close. Fantastic selection of dancers, over 80 in total apparently (though not all on one night) and they are doing real go-go, not just a host bar with show :D . Show is good too, with some great ladyboy acts as well as the cute dancers. And great to see the return of some old friends along with plenty of fresh faces. A few nice suprises too.... I won't spoil them :D:D

I heard the first couple of weeks will be low key as they get everything working smoothly, but the grand opening party will be 9 October. :)

It's been a long time coming, and I for one was sceptical it would ever happen, but Pia the very sweet owner, and his boyfriend have really stuck to their plans, put his money where his mouth is and done a great job. Wish them very good luck. This should certainly re-envigorate the CM gay scene.

If you don't know about Adam's Apple Club check out their website: www.adamsappleclub.com

Scorecard: if you are planning another weekend here you might want to wait until after the grand opening. I guess the weekend before everything will be closed as there is a very contentious election for the new mayor (4 October)

Dear Paagai,

Thanks for the detailed update, sounds good. Much appreciated.

I'll look forward to a visit, probably late November.

Thanks again.

I know Adam's Apple as the first gay bar I ever visited in Chiang Mai! That is now more than 10 years ago I guess. I found it then and many years after the very very best! Then all of a sudden it was taken over by someone else who did not have that special touch one need to run a place like that and it went down very quickly. After that is was closed I think for almost 2 years or more?

A new Adam's Apple has risen from the grave and of course I was very curious and excited to see what had become of it. My recent visit was disappointing despite the over the top messages here on this board and their own rather pretentious news letter.

No way has this Adam's Apple anything to do with the old one, except it got the same name and it is located on the same spot. That is all.

At the entrance you are told – not asked – to pay 200- baht entrance fee which include one drink. I don't know if 200 baht is the price for a drink there as I did not bother to take a second one.

Inside it is so dark that a waiter or whatever you want to call that – a host? – has to take you to a seat using a little lamp as I remember they use in the cinema to take people to their seat that arrive too late and the lights are already off.

The very small tables have a hole in the middle in which is placed a bag of the type they use in Belgium and The Netherlands for French Fries with popcorn. How more non-Thai can a place be! We are in Thailand, we go to Thailand to enjoy Thailand and not USA popcorn packed in Belgium/Dutch French Fries bags on the table in a badly lighted place.

The go-go dancers or hosts as we shall call them discrete are a bunch of very mediocre guys. It looks like that picked them from the streets in half an hour just to fill the place. Not the fine selection of guys as it used to be. One of them sat next to me and his first words were: "You buy me a drink, I drink whiskey." I always thought it went this way: I ask a guy to sit with me, then I may ask him if he likes a drink, when his response is positive I ask him what he would like. Or am I totally wrong?

The guy in question was a boy that could be found hanging around the Night Bazaar a week before like many others in the new Adam's Apple! No they were not very choosy at all when picking the staff!

Dancing or go go dancing was a thing that they like most guys in this profession in Chiang Mai (maybe everywhere in Thailand) don't know very well. This slow uninterested moving on the small catwalk becomes very boring in a very short time. The shows are same same as everywhere else: boring, boring, boring! Not worth a visit!

The interior – I almost forgot that – is ice cold and I am not talking about the temperature that was OK, but the ambiance: a load of concrete, glass and steel without a heart. The design of this all is middle of the road work. Not great, not bad, but like the staff mediocre and boring!

I talked later with several people that I know and that live here or come here often for a longer time and most of them had the same complaints: too dark – I want to see the merchandise before I pay for it was a remark I heard - the popcorn – most found this ludicrous - the entrance fee system and above all the staff (go go dancers). Not worth it said a friend of mine and I agree. Definitely not a place I would recommend to my friends. New My Way for example is nowadays a 1.000 times better than this pretentious new Adam's Apple.

Yesterday I heard already someone saying that he was wondering how long this place would be able to stay open managed this way! I agree, this way I do not foresee a long life for this place despite all the costs and efforts. In short it was not worth the waiting for . . .

Edited by Caesare

Hmmm. "Mixed reviews."

Sure, I should have added In My Opion as others might feel different about it. I personally am of opinion that sleazy places - what a gogo bar like this after all is - should look sleasy :)

It lacks a heart, it lacks that atmoshere that brings you in the right mood to say it subtle. Except for on this forum I have only heard rather negative reports from people that went there and I must say I cannot do otherwise than add my disappointment to it.

If you want sleazy, think of the long-closed Fan Club.

I only know that Fan place by name and from the outside once during day time :)

I mean with sleazy here that this Adam's Apple looks more like a rather pretentious discotheque than a gay go go bar with you now ... hosts and dancers :D

I do not mean with sleazy filthy dirty, but more erotic, which this new place lacks totally! Same goes for that Metro Bar, no atmosphere at all! Not cosy, but cold, ice cold! More something like a hotel lounge in one of these modern new hotels that they are filling the pace up with nowadays.

Maybe some other visitors to this new go go bar might want to give us here an insight in their ideas about and experiences with this new Adam's Apple. The one I read here so far looked to me more like a paid commercial or by someone very close to the new owners ...

The owner is from the USA, does that explain the popcorn and the weird ideas about a tasteful designed interior ... or am I too European minded and do I see it all wrong? Must gay Thailand become USA-orientated? I for me sincerely hope Thailand stays Asian in attitude and looks!

Edited by Caesare