Avocado Flowers

Guys!

Just stumbled on to this thread!! I'm from San Diego and Avos are a way of life!

But I hear no mention of Bacons! Anyone have any info? Love Hass and Fuertes, guacamole here I come!

Where exactly is the Pak Chong place located? Are they English savvy there?

Feel free to PM!

Guys!

Just stumbled on to this thread!! I'm from San Diego and Avos are a way of life!

But I hear no mention of Bacons! Anyone have any info? Love Hass and Fuertes, guacamole here I come!

Feel free to PM!

Highway #2 between Saraburi & Korat , Moderate to no English

post-14625-1246622840_thumb.jpg

According to the PakChong Research station guys, Bacon's did not do well here...There are some Fuertes, but the main ones seem to be Booth 7 and the Australian Hass...

There are several nurseries along the Highway #2 that stock avocado plants....I have a phone number for one of them if you are interested...only Thai spoken...

The research station also has avocado trees, but you must order them 1 year in advance...They will graft from their orchard and you pick up about 3 months after grafting..A friend of mine that also grows avocados and I went to Pak Chong 2 weeks ago and picked up about 175 trees, that we had ordered last year..We tried to increase our order and they did not have the trees to fill the additional needs...maybe next year...

Went up to the farm today and picked 75 kg from one 4 year old Booth 7 tree...

Stoneman

Guys!

Feel free to PM!

There is a University of Hawaii type of avocado that is perfect [to my taste] called the Sharwell and being from Hawaii, it was developed for the tropics. Good producer, excellent fruit, big fruit, small seed, rich taste. I have considered asking friends to bring over some slips for grafting, but that sounds kind of a gamble even if timing for grafting and speedy transit could be arranged.

Have there been any sightings of this wonderful University of Hawaii Sharwell avocado???

Soidog..

Any idea which variety this might be?

Stoneman

The flowers that started the thread look like this today !

Self pollinated, will be ready around the end of the year .

Reagards.

Pollock , "B" type, west indian ( very well adapted to this climate )

"Pollock (Fig. 4). - Form obovate to oblong-pyriform; size very large to extremely large, weight commonly 25 to 35 ounces, but occasionally attaining to 50 ounces, length 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 inches, greatest breadth 4 to 5 inches; base narrow, flattened slightly, with the short stem inserted obliquely in a shallow, flaring, regular cavity; apex obliquely flattened or slightly depressed; surface smooth, light yellowish green in color, with numerous small greenish yellow or russet dots; skin less than 1/16 inch thick, separating very readily from the flesh, tough and leathery; flesh firm, smooth and fine in texture, deep yellow changing to yellowish green close to the skin, almost without a trace of fiber discoloration; flavor rich, rather dry, very pleasant; quality excellent; seed conic, oblique at base, rather small, weighing about 4 ounces, usually fitting snugly in the cavity but sometimes loose, the seed-coats rather loose, more or less separate; season August and September at Miami, Florida. Originated at Miami, Florida; first propagated in 1901. It has been planted more extensively than any other West Indian variety except Trapp. It is remarkable for its large size and excellent quality."