Modified Pickup's

philipm

hey RRL:

In thailand theirs is 2-3 compound trucks out their, strictly for drag use and using bad choice of turbocharger (they dont use calculations and dont understand the theory-they use two huge ass turbos instead of a highpressure and low pressure turbo)

the most powerful commonrail truck is P' A chevy, 3L pushing out around 450-500Hp only for drag use. pushing 10.5 second quater mile.

it has subsantial work on it, over a million baht in modifications easily.

after the compound kit i will do on this chevy it should hit 400-450hp. its still used for daily setup to. which is a very big factor.

just finding a good enough tranmission to handle 400-450hp with 850-1000nm of torque) is the hardest task as it has to handle drag use and street use.

The turbo installed on this current 361hp setup is our custom spec and built Hybrid borgwarner/holset turbo.

the next turbo (large frame low pressure turbo) is even going to bigger and better, another one of our custom built borgwarner/holset turbo mix.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stop light drags means nothing. No comparison to real world drag racing so l am looking forward to see if your cash is well spent at the strip.

I know guys who have spent bundles and got nowhere on the strip so it's a big learning curve.

With my ' shit ' chip, nothing yet has seen me off at the lights so don't count your chickens yet. Good Luck. :D

Remember, you can have all the horse power in the world but if you cannot put it on the pavement, tears. But l am with you.:crazy:

I looking forward to my "shit" chip, sounds great, just a little input at the lights in the auto vigo if I'm in two drive and floor it, the back wheels spin, in 4WD it's like shit off a shovel

hey RRL:

In thailand theirs is 2-3 compound trucks out their, strictly for drag use and using bad choice of turbocharger (they dont use calculations and dont understand the theory-they use two huge ass turbos instead of a highpressure and low pressure turbo)

the most powerful commonrail truck is P' A chevy, 3L pushing out around 450-500Hp only for drag use. pushing 10.5 second quater mile.

it has subsantial work on it, over a million baht in modifications easily.

after the compound kit i will do on this chevy it should hit 400-450hp. its still used for daily setup to. which is a very big factor.

just finding a good enough tranmission to handle 400-450hp with 850-1000nm of torque) is the hardest task as it has to handle drag use and street use.

The turbo installed on this current 361hp setup is our custom spec and built Hybrid borgwarner/holset turbo.

the next turbo (large frame low pressure turbo) is even going to bigger and better, another one of our custom built borgwarner/holset turbo mix.

Hi Philip! Great to see compound turbo setups in our little engines. Wow its amazing to see a 500hp crdi engine! Is the bigger single turbo setups still streetable? How is the torque on the 2t rpm and below? How high do you rev the engines?

What will break in the transmission at that power level? Is it the differential or the transmision itself? Chevy's seem to be the highest output engines in thailand?

Hey mate,

large single turbos are not streetable, as these trucks firstly pour out a heap of black smoke (untill turbo reaches optimal boost pressure and beyond) to clear up the unburnt diesel.

and when boost comes on, it comes with a stricking force, just imagien having 5psi of boost at 2200rpm, and than at 2500rpm you floor it, the boost from 5psi dramatically swings to 40psi

in a mere second, and then the truck just huals forward like no tomorrow.

it takes driving skill to not crash these builds on the street when putting the power/torque down.

the torque will reach close to 800-900nm it will be around the 3000-3200rpm range higher than std as the large turbo only makes huge power at peak boost area which is generally

the the higher rpm range.

P'A drag truck is now reving to 6000-6,500rpm, and thats why he has custom billet rods and a large list of items.

Std 2.5 low cab dont have rear diff, thats why we will be replacing the rear axcel to one that comes with a lsd housing and disk brake rear as std, we will use 3.5ratio as its still used for street via 3.3 for drag.

the tranmission is already having alot of stress and will be damaged soon when making over 300+hp, the only reason the customers truck can take 361hp atm is due to the fact

his truck has yet to hit 15k on the clock.

Chevy and Isuzu dmax use the same engine and tranmission. they have better designed heads that can flow higher and better at rpm range.

thats their main strong point.

thats why gearbox on chevys and isuzu are the first thing to go when you start modifying them.

Hey mate,

large single turbos are not streetable, as these trucks firstly pour out a heap of black smoke (untill turbo reaches optimal boost pressure and beyond) to clear up the unburnt diesel.

and when boost comes on, it comes with a stricking force, just imagien having 5psi of boost at 2200rpm, and than at 2500rpm you floor it, the boost from 5psi dramatically swings to 40psi

in a mere second, and then the truck just huals forward like no tomorrow.

it takes driving skill to not crash these builds on the street when putting the power/torque down.

the torque will reach close to 800-900nm it will be around the 3000-3200rpm range higher than std as the large turbo only makes huge power at peak boost area which is generally

the the higher rpm range.

P'A drag truck is now reving to 6000-6,500rpm, and thats why he has custom billet rods and a large list of items.

Std 2.5 low cab dont have rear diff, thats why we will be replacing the rear axcel to one that comes with a lsd housing and disk brake rear as std, we will use 3.5ratio as its still used for street via 3.3 for drag.

the tranmission is already having alot of stress and will be damaged soon when making over 300+hp, the only reason the customers truck can take 361hp atm is due to the fact

his truck has yet to hit 15k on the clock.

Chevy and Isuzu dmax use the same engine and tranmission. they have better designed heads that can flow higher and better at rpm range.

thats their main strong point.

thats why gearbox on chevys and isuzu are the first thing to go when you start modifying them.

Hi Philip!

So what do you classify as large? Is the one you are using in your chevy considered large?

How were they able to rev a diesel engine to 6500rpm?? i thot rpm was a limitation of the diesel as a fuel. Maybe they are using a different fuel? I'm excited to see the result on you next stage for the chevy. Looks promising! by the way can you post a dynochart of your chevy so i can more or less see what rpm band the turbo kicks in? Have you maxxed out the flow rate of the turbo already?

Thanks

RRL: it is not my chevy, i am just building it and tuning it for my Customer.

he is on this forum :)

big turbo, anything that can produce 450+hp on a patrol car is considered big.

(remember patrol cars produce higher efficiency than diesel, thus 450hp on patrol only makes 315hp on a diesel.

the turbo my customer is using now (before compound kit) is our hybrid hx32/borgwarner s200, it can produce over 550hp on a patrol car.

so it is considered big turbo.( you can check out the spool pattern on the dyno clip i posted earlier)

rev on the diesel engine is limited by engine design, and ecu set parameters.

by dropping the lsd ratio down, as well as making custom gears and custom rods, bored exhaust ports, with rpm ecu locker removed it can rev that high, but ofcourse its highly prone to damage. they also have creatine boosters for diesels.

only used on the top diesel drag trucks, spending big money on all these items. and the engine is still renouned for being damaged within 3-4 maxxed out runs.

these are shops who post the times who have large budget and time to keep building them up. no customer would be willing to go through this much hassel to rev up to 6,500rpm and deal with the repair bills often. it will be in the shop 80% the time and 20% just compeitition haha.

the flow rate of the turbo, is maxed out at 60psi, which i have set a tune for the customer already, but is much less streetable than the 40psi tune.

the compound will need to run around 60psi, but boost will come early and defentially hard.

Sorry correction your customer's Chevy

What do you mean with the 60psi not streetable? Can't the power just be controlled with the accelerator pedal? Does the chevy have a stock engine?? it can hold that much boost?

congrats on the build!

• 6 months later...

Gents an update,

Dynoed STREET TUNE----------Daily used on my personal Monster Triton, last night.

made an impressive

413HP 873NM of torque. LEADING THE WAY!!!! --new record set for the 3.2 (4m41) motor.

Not bad for a 2ton double cab truck.

change the diff ratio to 3.3, with larger mag/tires we measured topspeed on 5th gear at redline 4500rpm,

speed output is a wicked 243KM/HR. at only 3000rpm on 5th gear we measured above 160km/hr,

on the 1:1 gear ratio (4th gear) on the 5speed manual, top speed at 4,484rpm we measured on the dyno 182KM/HR

more upgrades coming soon!

steelepulse,

413HP and 873nm of torque with the street tune.

DIDNT bother adjusting the tune, but according to the curve it could do with more fuel between the 2200-3000rpm range :)

will test it out on the road first before i put it back to the dyno. (i dont like the idea of tuning only on dyno without street testing, as the power on dyno doesnt nessarily represent the useble power on the road-real life conditions).

My previous result was only 330HP and 723nm of torque, you can check that video out on U-tube.