We Are To Have A Baby And I Wonder What To Do

We are going to have a baby next month. My fiancee is a thai citizen and I`m a norwegian. What should I do to get long time visa to Thailand? I`m not retired,and I work outside Thailand. Now I`m staying on 30 days tourist visa every time I`m in Thailand. We will get married later,because I`m still only separated from my norwegian wife.

Hope someone can give me a right and informative answer. :o

We are going to have a baby next month. My fiancee is a thai citizen and I`m a norwegian. What should I do to get long time visa to Thailand? I`m not retired,and I work outside Thailand. Now I`m staying on 30 days tourist visa every time I`m in Thailand. We will get married later,because I`m still only separated from my norwegian wife.

Hope someone can give me a right and informative answer. :o

When the baby is born you should be covered by this rule. Read 2.18 (5)

Note that if you are not married, you will not be the father of the baby in a legal sense automaticaly. In order to become the legal father of the bay you will have to legitimise the baby (acknowledge you are the father). In Thailand this is done by registering the baby yourselfat the amphur (district office) where the child is born. Do not let someone else register the baby, as then you will not have legitimised the baby under Thai law.

If you can't register the child yourself you will otherwise legitimise the baby the moment you marry the mother.

I have been in your situation. In my case the babies birth has been registered in Suan Dok Hospital Chiang Mai for the first, and in Chiang Mai Ram 1 for my daughter. I had only to go to the specific counter and provide my personal details.

Be prepared to spell your Family name in thai script, as you as the father, you have the right to give your family name to your child even when you are not married to the childs mother. I am not sure if this needs consent from the childs mother, in my case it was no problem. 

The only problem I encountered was bad translation of my family name to thai script, so my son had his family name translated into "penis stinks, isn't it?" in thai. :D:D Well, we been able to change birth certificate at the Amphoe later on. :o

I suppose you already have made the decission where the baby will be born, so the the next medical check up there you also could ask for details at the hospital.

I don't agree with statement of Mario 2008, that you will not be aknowledged as the father in the legal sence. I think he means to say that you will not get "parental authority" for the child. These are 2 different things. In my case Amphoe did not  give me "parental authority", even my wife (ok, we are not married but see each other as quasi married) wanted to tranform her right over the kids to me. I found the lady at the Amphoe quite anti farang, or anti male, because she could not really give logical reasons for her refusal. When we told her that with the help of a lawyer we could tranfer the parental authority, she told us to wait until the boy is "old enough".Asking when that will be, she said when the boy can say that I am his father. :D

Because I did not need my family status to meet visa regulatios (working here) and the fact that Austrian government refuses to give citizenship to babies born to foreign mothers not married to the austrian father :D , we did not engage the lawyer and "forgot" about the issue. No problem for Austrian mothers not married to foreign father of child :wai: , probably for emancipation equality rights. 

Good luck with the birth of you child.

I don't agree with statement of Mario 2008, that you will not be aknowledged as the father in the legal sence. I think he means to say that you will not get "parental authority" for the child. These are 2 different things. In my case Amphoe did not give me "parental authority", even my wife (ok, we are not married but see each other as quasi married) wanted to tranform her right over the kids to me. I found the lady at the Amphoe quite anti farang, or anti male, because she could not really give logical reasons for her refusal. When we told her that with the help of a lawyer we could tranfer the parental authority, she told us to wait until the boy is "old enough".Asking when that will be, she said when the boy can say that I am his father. :o

Not being the legal fahter means that as far as the law/government is concerned you are not the father. As a consequence one would not have parental authorithy, but also their would be no family ties between the father and the child. That has consequences for example inheritence and nationality of the child.

In your case you didn't register the birth yourself and as a consequence you are not considered the legal father and don't hold parental rights. That can be changed normaly when the child is 7 and can make a statement that you are his father.

the fact that Austrian government refuses to give citizenship to babies born to foreign mothers not married to the austrian father

Don't wait too long contacting Norwegian authorities about rules concerning Norwegian citizenship for children who have just one Norwegian parent.

In my case, I was too late. I am Dutch, and if I would have contacted the embassy to recognize the child as being mine before it was born, it would have had Dutch citizenship from birth on. Now, because I am not married to the mother, only after 3 years I can claim Dutch citizenship for the child, if I can prove that I am the one who has financially taken care of her, so I am carefully keeping hospital receipts and so on.

Congratulations anyway.