Car Ownership And Land Lease

Wolfie

Hi,

A friend of mine (a non-internet user) has asked me a question about owning a car and leasing land.

Is it possible for him to have a car in his name, if hes on a 30 day tourist visa? What would he need to do to transfer ownership to his name? Does he need house papers or is a copy of his passport/visa all that is required?

Also, what is required for him to lease land? Again is this possible on a 30 day tourist visa? How does he go about setting up the lease and making sure its all above board and legal.

I did take a look, but couldnt find any relevant threads already.

Thanks in advance

Your non-internet using buddy will need to get himself more established here before trying to buy a car or lease land. You can have a car in your name if you have a work permit, non-immigrant visa, guaranteeor (Thai friend or family member) and a stable job. Very important is the Thai who will guarantee (with his/her assets) your loan on the car if you can't pay in cash which most folks couldn't afford. I'm sure car dealerships will do whatever they can to cover themselves and would do no less for a foreigner with no credit here as well.

For leasing land, I'm not sure how that process goes...perhaps some of our other posters can help. You might consider referring your friend to Indo-Siam or Sunbelt Asia (one of our sponsors). They often help foreigners get set up here when they want to run businesses or they can just give advice..even on this forum. Good luck! :o

Not sure about the land side of things on a tourist visa but i/m fairly sure the laws have been relaxed now so that a vehicle can be bought on the back of a tourist visa (not sure about 30 day stamp though) these threads seem to confirm my thinking http://phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=745 and http://phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=772

Hi,

A friend of mine (a non-internet user) has asked me a question about owning a car and leasing land.

Is it possible for him to have a car in his name, if hes on a 30 day tourist visa? What would he need to do to transfer ownership to his name? Does he need house papers or is a copy of his passport/visa all that is required?

Also, what is required for him to lease land? Again is this possible on a 30 day tourist visa? How does he go about setting up the lease and making sure its all above board and legal.

I did take a look, but couldnt find any relevant threads already.

Thanks in advance

Wolfie:

How long will the lease be for? If less than 3 years, no problems as it doesn't need to be registered at the Land Dept. More than 3 years should still be OK, but likely he'll need to appoint a power of attorney to represent him.

Let me know if I can help any more

SM :o