Dropping Out Of Retirement

Greenside

OK, listen up.

Things out there are getting tough financially and they're going to get tougher still so there's nothing else for it - you've got to (shock, horror) get back to work! You're not ready to give up LOS just yet so there's nothing else for it: dust off that fantasy business plan or job opportunity you dreamed up during those first few months on the beach when your pension money really meant something and the word bankers generally had a "b" as the first letter.

Ignoring minor inconveniences like the need for work permits and other bureaucratic impediments, what's going to be your new career here in Thailand? :o

Sorry, I should have mentioned that position of Chief Appraisal Officer in the shortly to be launched Staff Licensing Initiative (Loy Kroh Division: Female) has already been taken but I am still looking for a limited number of truly dedicated assistants.

Must be willing to work nights.

Edited by Greenside

Bars are readily available now. Great business opportunity.

Set yourself up for a low outlay, let's say minimum Thb500,000, sit back, relax, be your own best customer, impress your friends and within 6 months try to sell it for whatever you can get.

OK, listen up.

Things out there are getting tough financially and they're going to get tougher still so there's nothing else for it - you've got to (shock, horror) get back to work! You're not ready to give up LOS just yet so there's nothing else for it: dust off that fantasy business plan or job opportunity you dreamed up during those first few months on the beach when your pension money really meant something and the word bankers generally had a "b" as the first letter.

Ignoring minor inconveniences like the need for work permits and other bureaucratic impediments, what's going to be your new career here in Thailand? :o

I understand that the position of Deputy Government Spokesman just became available. Any takers?

Sorry, BB. Way too much competition with people doing that and it would be funny if it wasn't so true :o . Think up something a bit more adventurous before all the good jobs go.

PS How long before someone mentions hamburger testing? Ooops.

You could write the great Thai expatriate novel. You know, a Thai Girl, or Bangkok, or cobras eating the eyeballs of a drug dealer.

Or a sizzling, enthralling novel about Verisimilation, or How to Spend Time in a Filthy Bangkok Prison, or "Troubled Times of Tribeswomen Trying to Sell Trinkets at the Night Bizarre."

Things out there are getting tough financially and they're going to get tougher still so there's nothing else for it - you've got to (shock, horror) get back to work! You're not ready to give up LOS just yet so there's nothing else for it: dust off that fantasy business plan or job opportunity you dreamed up during those first few months...

First step: Try to convince yourself and your (eventually) skillful fellow retirees that you aren't doing any good at all except to unskilled free loafers by offering your skills free of charge on an online forum whereby it's impossible for skilled persons to make any kind of livelihood out of their skills in Chiang Mai.

I would say that there are things to do here, make some money (probably not a lot by western standards), enough to get by.

I was in the publishing/advertising business in the west. Never really looked at the local market closely, other than as a consumer/reader.

Greenside, you are a talented photographer, and can turn a phrase well.

Don't go back to Old Blighty just yet....there must be some opportunity for a chap of your talents.

If you find anything, let me know. I moved back to U.S. (with 2 houses in C.M.) last October to revive my construction business. I don't think it would pay that much to do construction in LOS. I think my fate was sealed when I go married and acquired 3 step children, and had one with the wife. I don't think much of Thai schools and education, at least to college, is basically free in U.S., so I have another 7 years to go when the youngest step child is in college. In 10 years, I turn 65 and receive my full S.S. payments abd probably will have my share of a trust set up my my grandfather in 1931, which is distributed when all 8 of his children have died. The youngest now is 83 years old. So, it looks like I won't be back in LOS permanently until 2019, when my son is 12 years old and can either go to a decent Thai school or be home schooled. But, like I said, if anyone comes up with a decent paying occupation in LOS, please let me know. I tried importing Thai handicrafts to the U,S, and just broke even.

I understand that positions are available in Chiang Mai as G.C.O.U. officers. (Girls getting chubby overpriced and ugly). The ones that qualify for this status, and there are unfortunately many these days need bus fares, help packing, and a one way ticket back to whichever god forsaken village they came from.

You can easily spot them from their mating call, "welcome.....welcome....." and their tendency even at peak times to be stuffing themselves with some disgustingly smelly product, usually purchased from a bicycle and side car from which hang the entrails of some dried out sea creature.

The other easy way to spot these unfortunate specimens is from their total lack of a grasp on reality ie not knowing that theres a world recession just now and that corners need to be cut in all areas!!!!

UG

How long before someone mentions hamburger testing? Ooops.

someone is calling you : )

enjoy .... dave2 : )

I have Japanese food about 3 times a week, Thai food for lunch almost every day and Italian maybe once a week. I have a burger every few months. The reason that I am so enthusiastic about "best" burger threads in Chiang Mai is because there aren't any.

If I am going to do burger testing, it will be in the U.S., not here. :o

Opening a second hand bookstore might be a good one. There's a chap in town (his name escapes me) that's got not just one but four shops so you'd think it must be OK. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a little more competition. Strange thing is that whenever I go past them there's virtually nobody ever there. :o

How about ghost-busting?

Now you're talking! Do up a red songthaw with the Ghostbusters logo, some flashing lights and a nice noisy siren, hire a couple of monks to give it that authentic flavour, rent ad space on the back on 150 tuk-tuks and wait for the phone to start ringing off the hook. What could go wrong?

Who wants in....

Who isn't complaining this year? However, we are doing fine under the circumstances. Of course things were better in past years.

When the PAD took over the airport and scared all the tourists away at the beginning of this high season, I complained because it was such a stupid thing to do. It did not just hurt me. It hurt the whole country.

I'm sure that every Thai business wishes that they had the money that was lost at that time to deal with the current world recession. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

How about ghost-busting?

Now you're talking! Do up a red songthaw with the Ghostbusters logo, some flashing lights and a nice noisy siren, hire a couple of monks to give it that authentic flavour, rent ad space on the back on 150 tuk-tuks and wait for the phone to start ringing off the hook. What could go wrong?

Who wants in....

And if you can't assemble a team for that, how about being a mendicant monk?

How about ghost-busting?

Who wants in....

And if you can't assemble a team for that, how about being a mendicant monk?

... or how about just becoming a monk - plain and simple? --- It wouldn't be the worst way for a retiree to end his life. All basic needs secured. Free hospitalization. No financial requirements for visa extensions.... And who knows how many extras you could get from desperate farlangs who haven't seen the light, but continue to pursue a lost quest they're bound to loose - if not before, then at the very end??

I came here on a retirement visa 6 years ago, but since than due to the worsening economy I have hit on hard times.

In desperation I had to think of starting a new career very quickly.

Came up with the perfect solution for making some extra dosh to supplement my pension, even found a way to make my dog pay for his own food, as he’s rather expensive to feed these days.

My photo of us at our new job below:

post-11344-1238040591_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie