Why Am I Constantly Getting Sick?

runner

Whenever I'm here in Thailand, I am always getting sick. Most common ailments are food poisoning and a sore throat/cough, which usually turns into some kind of fever. I'm always going to the pharmacy to get some antibiotics or a trip to the hospital. Anybody know what causes these coughs/fevers? And how to prevent them?

Whenever I'm here in Thailand, I am always getting sick. Most common ailments are food poisoning and a sore throat/cough, which usually turns into some kind of fever. I'm always going to the pharmacy to get some antibiotics or a trip to the hospital. Anybody know what causes these coughs/fevers? And how to prevent them?
Maybe stop the antibiotics and let your body build up a natural resistance to what's ailing you. Try riding it out but ensure you drink plenty of water, with rehydrants added. I'm not a doctor and I'm only saying what worked for me. Edited by coventry

Maybe stop the antibiotics and let your body build up a natural resistance to what's ailing you. Try riding it out but ensure you drink plenty of water, with rehydrants added. I'm not a doctor and I'm only saying what worked for me.

Agree with the advice to drink more water. Regarding the food poisoning, avoid eating at roadside outdoor foodstalls until you build up some resistance. Regarding, the sore throat/cough this could be an allergic reaction to bad air pollution, which hopefully you will buid up some resistance to over time. Drink plenty of water and use an air filter at home, particularly on very hazy days.

Edited by mark5335

The importance of washing your hands frequently can't be overstated, considering a lot of Thais wipe their backsides with their hands and you touch the same railings etc. as you do. First thing I do when I get in from anywhere is wash my hands thoroughly.

be careful what and where you eat, avoid pre-cooked foods. Try to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, which have more vitamins than processed foods.

sore throat can be from air conditioning - use it as little as possible, better run fans and open windows wide. Important to clean them from time to time.

Do not eat off of street vendor carts , wear a face mask when out and about , check the cleanliness of a restaraunt toilet BEFORE you eat thier food , these few small points cut my similar problems by at least half when I first started visiting Thailand . Clean the aircon filter when you move into a lodging , I always found them dirty to just about clogged , Thai are not maintainance people by any stretch of the imagination , all of the accumulated dust/germs will be blowing into the air every time you turn it on . :o

I have felt sick to varying degrees the entire time I've been here. I remember one day standing outside of Thai language class when an Aussie class mate said, "I never feel 100% in Thailand." I think it's mainly the pollution outdoor and the constant running of air conditioners indoors that is doing me in. I'll be glad when I can leave and will just return here for shorter stays.

I have felt sick to varying degrees the entire time I've been here. I remember one day standing outside of Thai language class when an Aussie class mate said, "I never feel 100% in Thailand." I think it's mainly the pollution outdoor and the constant running of air conditioners indoors that is doing me in. I'll be glad when I can leave and will just return here for shorter stays.

I feel 100% here never have problems im a lot less sick here as in Holland. But in Holland i used mass transportation and i think you pick up a lot of ailments there.

Uncivil/argumentative posts have been deleted. Flamefest is officially over. :o

Runner:

1. Respiratory problems - 2 aspects. One that it is common -- bordering on inevitable -- is that when one comes to a different country one gets many colds etc the first year or two. This is the natural (but unpleasant) result of coming into contact with viruses your body has not met befiore and thus has no resistance to. Over time you acquire the resistance but in so doing you first suffer a good number of upper respiratory infections. The other aspect is pollution, if you spend much time in Bangkok, Chiang Mai etc. This forum is replete with tales of woe even from long-term residents many of whom do not get relief until/unless they move to a part of the country with cleaner air.

2. GI problems: this may be due both to exposure to unfamiliar bugs and to a different diet. The body's response to both improves over time, although some people find that they simply do not tolerate certain foods or hot spices well.

When I first came to Thailand I was very frequently sick, it's more than 25 years ago so I don;t remeber exactly but it klasted at least the first few years, then got vastly better and remained so until I was, for a brief period, living in Bangkok. That was horrible and provoked sinus problems etc which were only really resolved when I left Bangkok. I now live where the air is clean and am almost never sick (knock on wood!). Of course, weathering the initial adjustment is easier for people who are living here; if you just come on holiday you don't want any of that time to be spent ill plus may not spend enough time to build up resistance.

Maintaining adequate fluid intake (which will mean drinking a lot more than you do at home -- yardstick is to keep your urine light in color), frequent hand-washing, minimizing time spent in high-pollution areas to the extent possible and being careful of what you eat will all help but will not totally eliminate the prtoblem, at least not until your body has acclimated and built up resistance to the common cold and flu bugs here.

As far as the watching what you eat, I think there is a great difference between food from venders who cook it right in front of you and food from vendors that has alreaday been prepared and is sitting out. the first is, IMO, often safer than food from expensive restaurants; after all, you can verify that it has been freshly cooked before your eyes. The second one is best avoided if you are prone to GI problems.

I'm always going to the pharmacy to get some antibiotics or a trip to the hospital.

emotions might be part of the illness, but not alone.

overuse of over the counter antibiotics, without seeing a doctor, checking your blood for antibodies and supervising use of antibiotics is a straith way to ruin your immune system

boost up the immune system,with mega doses of vitamin C,1000mg tablets plus odourless garlic tablets or fresh garlic,take for about 2-3 months.

Uncivil/argumentative posts have been deleted. Flamefest is officially over. :D

it was only a bit of friendly banter!! :o

From the Health Forum rules which are pinned at the top of this forum:

"1. Civility and Compassion: the Health forum is, by its nature, a place where people seek information or help of a personal nature, often in the context of a serious and stressful problem. It is absolutely essential that they are able to do so without fear of ridicule or judgment. Forum rules regarding flaming etc will therefore be enforced with particular strictness. The level of banter that might be acceptable in other forums will not be allowed here if, in the opinion of the Moderators, it is likely to make other members uncomfortable or hesitant to post."