Discouraged, Worried, Need Advice.

Not really sure where to begin...

After working overseas for a few years (i'm a US citizen) I found myself in Thailand. I spent maybe 16 months there (overstay). Last year I married my Thai wife in her village, but we didn't make it official by signing anything at the local office. Shortly after I came back to the states to start working again. She's pregnant and will be having our child next month. I plan on being there for the birth, and possibly staying a few months.

I've been doing a lot of reading/research and after going over countless documents/posts/pdfs/etc I find myself rather discouraged about the whole visa process. I'm far from done, but from what I can gather I need to have a job that pays 40k+/mo and/or have at least 400k in the [hers?] bank to get anything done; right now I don't meet either requirement. Due to our wonderful economy I find myself going from a good paying contracting job (prior to arriving in TH, in which time I was not working) to working for minimum wage part time.

Last year I was really worried about my overstay. After reading whatever I could find (large fines, possible jail/holding time, banning) and finally visiting the immigration office (which took most of the day, just for them to tell me I had to pay the fine at the airport) in Bangkok before I left, all I had to do was pay something like 40k baht at the airport and be on my way. No fuss, no ban, no holding time, just an exit stamp and a smile. The officer that took the money and 'processed' me even said "have a good flight, see you next time." Was I worried about nothing? I spent several months prior to my flight trying to figure it all out.

So once I got back to the states I started researching the visa process to get my wife over here. Talk about overkill. Why the frakk is this so difficult? Do i really need that much money (or more) to make it all happen? I want to spend time with my wife and our new baby, but unless a miracle happens and I win the lottery or something, I don't see how I can make it happen anytime in the near future.

So I need help/advice. Everything I've found out has left me feeling depressed that there might not be anything I can do unless there's large sums of money involved.

First of all the road will be long. Ive been down that same road. D'ont give up.

I left a good job in Ireland to live in Thailand in the 1990's. We too got married without registering, as my wife has a large amount of land. (We later got a certificate in Scotland). After a few years of visa runs (it was easier then), I had to return home, her job was good, mine was teaching in Bangkok but i earned much less than hers. I went back to my job, and fought through the process of getting her to Ireland.

Im sure there are people on this forum that can help you with the specifics. You are apart now and I know how that feels.

Positive thinking my friend, and best of luck to you.

The 40k monthly income (can be foreign-earned income) or 400k in a Thai bank account in your own name would be a requirement for the annual extension of stay, for which you could apply if you were legally married, which apparently you are not, unless you registered your marriage at the local government office.

For your upcoming trip to Thailand use one of the honorary Thai consulates, which give better service, and apply for a non-immigrant visa “O”. You don’t say how many months you want to stay in Thailand. With a single-entry non-O visa you get permission to stay for 90 days and if necessary this can be extended by 60 days at the local immigration office for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

With a multiple-entry non-O visa you can enter Thailand as often as you wish for one year from the visa’s issue date and on every arrival you receive permission to stay for 90 days. This means that if you want to stay longer than 90 days you leave Thailand at the end of the first 90 days, enter a neighbouring country, and return to Thailand on the same day. There are so-called visa run bus services that do this for about 2,000 Baht, visa fee for Cambodia included.

--

Maestro

Thanks for the fast replies. I am trying to keep a positive attitude about all this, but it seems to get harder the deeper I dig. I've done the visa run bus before, to both Cambodia and Laos. As for the 'honorary Thai consulates' where would I find these and how can I contact them? Are they in TH, or do I need to find one in the states?

See this link for the Thai consulates in USA:

http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/rls/fco/7624.htm

Houston and Denver have been frequently reported for good service. Application can be made by mail.

In my earlier post, disregard the part about extending your permission to stay by 60 days after entering with a single-entry non-O visa. This would be available only if you were legally married.

--

Maestro

Focus on what you need to do and ask the questions here, which is what you are now doing.

You have a Thai wife. You want to be with her. Same as myself and millions others!

You will go to Thailand first. Expert answer above already ! Sorted.

Then organise yourself for Part B. Want to go back to America ? Get the information. Keep it simple and drive straight ahead.

From my own experience a marriage certificate helps.

Focus on what you need to do and ask the questions here, which is what you are now doing.

I am an american married to a thai for over 35 years. You only have to have an income of 40,000 baht

which is about $1050. You only have to have an income of 400,000 baht a month or approximately

$11,363 in ythe bank, one or the other.

Dan

I am an american married to a thai for over 35 years. You only have to have an income of 40,000 baht

which is about $1050. You only have to have an income of 400,000 baht a month or approximately

$11,363 in ythe bank, one or the other.

Dan

The requirements for being Married to a Thai Lady

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Note that it has to be the Husbands Money not Hers or Joint.

As said it would help if the OP was legally married. Also as said Huston has been reported as helpful.

I think your best bet is go back to Thailand on a tourist visa [60 days], get your marriage certified with what ever documents you can get to show a Thai consulate in the states that you are married to a Thai citizen, with this you can return to the U.S. go to a Thai consulate and obtain a one year multiple entry visa[you can get this without proof income if you are willing to make 90 day visa runs], I use the Portland Or. consulate and have never had a problem.

I think your best bet is go back to Thailand on a tourist visa [60 days], get your marriage certified with what ever documents you can get to show a Thai consulate in the states that you are married to a Thai citizen, with this you can return to the U.S. go to a Thai consulate and obtain a one year multiple entry visa[you can get this without proof income if you are willing to make 90 day visa runs], I use the Portland Or. consulate and have never had a problem.

He could probaly get a Multi Non O Visa in KL or Australia once he is Married.

His first step will be to get a Marriage Certificate.

Last year I was really worried about my overstay. After reading whatever I could find (large fines, possible jail/holding time, banning) and finally visiting the immigration office in Bangkok before I left, all I had to do was pay something like 40k baht at the airport and be on my way. No fuss, no ban, no holding time, just an exit stamp and a smile. The officer that took the money and 'processed' me even said "have a good flight, see you next time."

A little bit off topic but I thought the fine for overstay was still 20K. Can someone confirm that it's now 40K?

Last year I was really worried about my overstay. After reading whatever I could find (large fines, possible jail/holding time, banning) and finally visiting the immigration office in Bangkok before I left, all I had to do was pay something like 40k baht at the airport and be on my way. No fuss, no ban, no holding time, just an exit stamp and a smile. The officer that took the money and 'processed' me even said "have a good flight, see you next time."

A little bit off topic but I thought the fine for overstay was still 20K. Can someone confirm that it's now 40K?

You're right, its 20k. I just re-checked my passport. Sorry about that.

Edited by FarangLaoInter

First question you need to ask yourself, seriously, is how you are going to live in Thailand? Do you have any qualifications for employment here? Am not trying to make you feel bad but unless you do perhaps you should be concentrating on the other road and improving your livings standards in the US (as you say you did have a good job recently). You could they marry and have them immigrate to the US. The financial requirements are not that high and family can help. You have a lifetime to plan for so believe it is best to take the long view approach as to what is best for all over time.

I am far from an expert but I am married to a Thai. My wife and I have been through the immigration visa and green card process for the USA.

It seems to me that whichever route you go living in thailand with your wife or bringing her to the USA you first need to get your marriage legalized in Thailand as that is required for an extension of stay in thailand and also a marriage certificate is required to begin the immigratn visa process to the USA for your wife.

Melmark

Firstly, don't worry about the old overstay, it is history.

Obtain a Non Imm O visa from on of the Honorary Consulates, based on "visiting family"

failing that a 60 day tourist visa will suffice.

Read this page http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html it tells you what you need from your

Embassy to get legally married. Once you have the paperwork legal marriage is a 15 minute job

at the local Amphur (District) office.

Once you are legally married the rest will fall into place, provided you have the income, 40K a month

or 400K in your Thai bank account.

Then you will be able to get a one year extension of your stay.

Good luck