Thailand Troops Enter Cambodia

Pierrot

Thai, Cambodian leaders downplay border fighting

By AGENCIES

Published on April 5, 2009

Thailand and Cambodia yesterday played down the renewed border skirmishes on Friday that left at least four soldiers from both sides dead.

However, a tense military stand-off continued ahead of bilateral border talks in the coming week.

Thai Army commander-in-chief General Anupong Paochinda said that the clashes between Thai and Cambodian soldiers in a disputed area had resulted from "some misunderstanding".

Anupong said soldiers stationed on either side of the border had thought that the other side was intruding into their country's territory. He said Thailand would not use force to resolve the problem.

Meanwhile, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday struck a conciliatory tone and described the armed clashes as a mere "incident" between neighbours that would not erupt into a war.

"There was brief fighting, but it was like neighbours who live close to each other and always have disputes," Hun Sen said. "Today they have a dispute, then they calm down and talk to each other."

Just a few days earlier, Hun Sen had issued a fierce warning that Thailand would face tough fighting if its troops crossed into disputed territory.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Abhisit was installed by a democratically elected parliament in the same way Samak was.

The priority to set up government must be with the party having most voices. PPP had more than 180 and Democrat has 165!

Khun Samak is in the biggest party. When people in parliament voted for Khun Samak, no Army helped Khun Samak to get supports from small parties.

And you want Khun Pracha whose own party is even smaller than Democrat party to become a PM? There's nothing written in the constitution law that prohibits the smaller party to form the government. I wonder how old you are. Do you remember PM Kruekrit Pramotr? He was a PM despite having less than 20 MPs from his own party.

After the coup Puer Thai party still won the election and formed the government not one but 2 times. The military didn't stop them from doing that, did they? When Samak's out, another Thaksin's puppet was nominated. Did anyone stop them from doing that? Now let me ask you something. Do you know the meaning of 'election fraud'? It means when you cheat, your result will be thrown out.. Therefore those who cheated need to be suspended from thier duty. They failed 2 times so it's the time for other people to take over the job.

Edited by LannaTai

The PM now must be Khun Thaksin as his 4 years is not over yet. He did not lose an election. He was down by a coup. After the coup, Army made new Constitution Law and find faults to dissolve Thai Rak Thai Party and to ban 111 politicians. 1 person is wrong and the whole set is gone. In Thailand only.

Retroactive law. Is there anywhere in the world you can make new law and judge things in the past and say a coup is ok? After I rob you, shall I issue new law to say robbing is acceptable?

PPP still won election and Khun Samak became PM. Down after his cooking shows.

PPP dissolved. 37 politicians banned.

Then the voting for Abhisit.

If there had not been a coup in 2549, next life late in the evening, Abhisit still cannot become PM.

Many elections in Thailand have been preceded by coups. It's the traditional cycle since the 1940s: coup --> new constitution --> elections --> protest --> coup, etc. Thaksin/TRT/PPP are no exception and the reds are playing their role in the cycle now.

I'm a Thai national and I am seriously annoyed at how the government is dealing with this crisis.

For the love of god, respect the UN's decision already. It's just a bloody temple, we have 10,000 more of those in the country >.<

I'm especially sickened as to how the military treats this issue. Not too long ago someone (with a serious misunderstanding in history I might add) made a powerpoint on all the times we have lost territory. That included really retarded things like Indochina (which were our protectorates and not really national provinces) and the ceding of some southern provinces to Malaysia. Totally taken out of context (sacrificed VOLUNTARILY by Rama V to preserve our independence...a worthy sacrifice if I may add, not to mention how the lost territory is mostly jungles and mountains), the ppt did nothing but to rile up nationalism with exaggerations and falsities.

What did the military do?

They practically worship that thing. Every statistic, every written word is treated as the &lt;deleted&gt; bible. Not too long ago I went to the Ror Dor boot camp at Khao Chon Gai and sure enough, they devoted 2 hours and a colonel to drill this bullshit into our heads.

Did people believe it? I don't know, but it seems that about half were almost ready to run against a Cambodian machine gun, and the other half were too busy talking about DotA tactics :o

Lot to be learned in this Post Thailand and Cambodia have went to war over a lot less then this. In one instance the proper respect was not shown to visiting Cambodian dignitary and the two countries went to war. Thousands of years of history in the area. Conflict is well extablished bewteen the two countries in history. This is just new chapter in a very old book.

And you want Khun Pracha whose own party is even smaller than Democrat party to become a PM? There's nothing written in the constitution law that prohibits the smaller party to form the government. I wonder how old you are. Do you remember PM Kruekrit Pramotr? He was a PM despite having less than 20 MPs from his own party.

After the coup Puer Thai party still won the election and formed the government not one but 2 times. The military didn't stop them from doing that, did they? When Samak's out, another Thaksin's puppet was nominated. Did anyone stop them from doing that? Now let me ask you something. Do you know the meaning of 'election fraud'? It means when you cheat, your result will be thrown out.. Therefore those who cheated need to be suspended from thier duty. They failed 2 times so it's the time for other people to take over the job.

The main point is the ruling class wants to be in power so they did all they can including supporting a coup, changing Constitution Law and cutting competitor.

It's like if you're not the best student, instead of studying harder, you kick the best student out so your record is highest.

The PM now must be Khun Thaksin as his 4 years is not over yet. He did not lose an election. He was down by a coup. After the coup, Army made new Constitution Law and find faults to dissolve Thai Rak Thai Party and to ban 111 politicians. 1 person is wrong and the whole set is gone. In Thailand only.

Retroactive law. Is there anywhere in the world you can make new law and judge things in the past and say a coup is ok? After I rob you, shall I issue new law to say robbing is acceptable?

If there had not been a coup in 2549, next life late in the evening, Abhisit still cannot become PM.

Many elections in Thailand have been preceded by coups. It's the traditional cycle since the 1940s: coup --> new constitution --> elections --> protest --> coup, etc. Thaksin/TRT/PPP are no exception and the reds are playing their role in the cycle now.

Your reply goes far from your comment "Abhisit was installed by a democratically elected parliament in the same way Samak was". What happened before the voting for Abhisit is the matter.

What did Abhisit do to solve the border problem with Cambodia? He can't do anything. Foreign Minister Kasit is priceless. How can they negotiate with Khun Hun Sen? When they can't be able to work, they blame all on Khun Thaksin. Childish behavior!

Why don't Kasit just invade Khmer. That will shut up the GANSTER Hun Sen forever.

Why, probably because they will get their arse's whipped big time.

I very much doubt that. Recently a 747 was chartered to take a Government delegation (and their frumpy wives and a few hundred hangers on and 'advisors') to London to engage the services of a certain Captain Mainwaring, Lance Corporal Jones and a Mr. Godfrey. Thailand means business! A Private Walker will also be engaged to act as 'advisor' to BiB.

Abhisit was installed by a democratically elected parliament in the same way Samak was.

The priority to set up government must be with the party having most voices. PPP had more than 180 and Democrat has 165!

Khun Samak is in the biggest party. When people in parliament voted for Khun Samak, no Army helped Khun Samak to get supports from small parties.

Are you saying that 200 banded TRT/PPP MP cheated; bit non DEM MP cheat. Not even one. I find it hard to believe.

The rules was written by the army after the coup. Get it?

Are you saying that 200 banded TRT/PPP MP cheated; bit non DEM MP cheat. Not even one. I find it hard to believe.

The rules was written by the army after the coup. Get it?

And after every coup stretching back to 1932. What's your point? Protest leads to military coup, new constitution is written, elections are held, and then protests come and the whole cycle starts again. Thaksin and the redshirts are part of the cycle. And the Cambodian border imbroglio is part and parcel of the Thaksin-redshirt attempt to weaken the current admin. Thaksin and Hun Sen are quite close.

Get it?

Edited by wayfarer108

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/15/content_11188935.htm

Scathing media cartoon burns sensitive nerve of Cambodia about ties with Thailand PHNOM PENH, April 15 (Xinhua) -- A scathing political cartoon has angered the Cambodian government at this sensitive time of the Cambodian-Thai ties, and pushed the publisher into an awkward situation.

The government is demanding a written explanation for the recently-printed newspaper cartoon depicting Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra playing golf together, claiming that it could seriously affect the Cambodian-Thai relations.

"I need (a) written explanation. It's all. But if I don't have any response, then I will decide another step," English-language newspaper the Cambodia Daily on Wednesday quoted Information Minister Khieu Kanharith as saying.

In the hand-drawn picture published by another English-languagedaily newspaper the Phnom Penh Post on April 10, Thaksin shot a mine instead of a ball with his golf pole into the territory of Thailand, saying that "YES, IT'S MINE!!! THEREFORE I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANTN WITH IT..."

Hun Sen, beside Thaksin right outside the borderline of Thailand, said that "BUT... WHAT ARE YOU DOING? IT IS YOUR COUNTRY..."

Khieu Kanharith said that "it is not a problem of offending, but this cartoon came at the time Thailand accused Cambodia of harboring Thaksin."

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Information issued a press release last week, saying that this cartoon was politically-oriented and would make readers misunderstand the political stance of Cambodia.

Cambodia already spiked the rumor that Thaksin was hidden here, but the cartoon obviously told readers that he was temporarily living in Cambodia, Khieu Kanharith said in the release.

"This came at the most sensitive time, and it is not a joke at all," he said, adding that the Phnom Penh Post should submit its evidence for Thaksin's stay in Cambodia.

By publishing the cartoon, the newspaper had violated an article of the press law prohibiting publication of information inciting discrimination, according to the press release.

Any media should be objective and neutral in its reporting, it added.

In the mean time, Michel Dauguet, CEO of the Post Media Co. which started to publish the Phnom Penh Post as daily paper last year, issued a statement to clarify that "our editorial cartoon does not imply that Mr. Thaksin is living or has taken residence in Cambodia."

Thaksin was represented in unspecified space outside Thailand, symbolizing his exile, and exacerbating tensions at home, he said.

"The fact that some people may have interpreted that this editorial cartoon gives credit to the absurd theory of Thaksin's presence in Cambodia is an unfortunate misunderstanding," he added.

In early April, spokesman of the Cambodian Council of Ministers Phay Siphan told reporters that "Thaksin actually didn't have any presence in our country."

For anything that he did, Thaksin could observe his own country's law and the international law, he added.

Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya once told reporters that the bilateral ties between Thailand and Cambodia could be affected adversely, if the ousted former premier were allowed to launch political attacks from Cambodia.

Days of demonstrations by the opposition force have led to serious instability in Thailand. The Thai criminal court on Tuesday issued arrest warrants for 14 protest leaders including ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra. Besides, Cambodia and Thailand still have decades-old border disputes to settle. However, two heavy armed clashes between both troops in early April just have aggravated the tension at the border area.

Are you joined at the hip to the PPP or are you really the new Mrs Thaksin.

Go to the Government House now.

All female there are Mrs Thaksin.

So what does your husband think of this?

Does he condone his new rival?

Koo I have liked you personally in the past,

so to see you like this gives me sadness of great depth.

Chock dee dear.

• 4 weeks later...

Foreign Ministry not to pay war damages to Cambodia

BANGKOK, 12 May 2009 (NNT) - The Foreign Ministry refused to pay war redemption to Cambodia because the battle took place within the Thai border.

Cambodia had requested Thailand to pay compensation of 2.15 million US dollars or about 74 million baht, because it claimed that Thai soldiers had attacked Cambodia with weapons at the area nearby Preah Vihear Temple on 3 April 2009. It said Cambodia suffered a lot of damage as 264 shops located in the area had been fired on and there were a total of 319 households affected.

Director-General of Information Department and Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Tharit Charungvat said that the battle took place within the Thai border, but there were Cambodians dominated the area illegally and they were not arrested as Thailand gave more consideration to humanitarian issues and the relationship between the two countries.

Thailand would send a letter to inform Cambodia as it did several times before that the area belonged to Thailand. Asked whether Thailand would pay the claimed compensation. the spokesperson gave no answer, but only shook his head in denial.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 12 May 2009

(article here)

Like I said it's about PROFIT, not dead soldiers...

There is another element to all of this that I don't think has been discussed. There are (no doubt) elements within both governments that are quite happy to create and sustain an ongoing "pop-gun conflict" between the two countries.

Hun Sen is under pressure from a growing number of Cambodians who think he has become far too close to the Vietnamese. They resent it.........many Cambodians are seeing the Vietnamese as "people who are taking their jobs and money."

Some people (and I will not reveal who) told me that Hun Sen was not really displeased with the conflict taking place between Thailand and Cambodia because it shifted the focus of the masses away from him and the Vietnamese problem.

That same group of people told me that powerful people in Thailand were of the same opinion........the conflict shifts the focus of the masses away from them......"oooohhhhh......those bad Cambodians.........so very bad."

I think the chances of war between the two countries is less than 1%.

But in the meantime everyone loses - hundreds of vendors in and around the temple complex have lost their livelihoods, a site of great importance is deprived of the investment it desperately needs and Sisaket has lost access to its most important tourist attraction. All because a few inept politicians cannot work together for the good of their countries and prefer to stoke up hatred and mistrust.

I don't think Cambodia is very high on Thai polticians agenda, from Samak to Abhisit. Hun Sen, however, have never let it go since deciding to do a solo listing two years ago and keeps bringing it up over and over again under all imaginable pretexts. I don't know what it does for him domestically, but he seems to be very enthusiastic about it.

But in the meantime everyone loses - hundreds of vendors in and around the temple complex have lost their livelihoods, a site of great importance is deprived of the investment it desperately needs and Sisaket has lost access to its most important tourist attraction. All because a few inept politicians cannot work together for the good of their countries and prefer to stoke up hatred and mistrust.

Everyone?

Well a few DOZEN vendors,

who could vend at many other temples available.

Site of Great Importance...

nope just an other set of old stones with some cross cultural interest from 1,000 years past.

But not particularly unique in the region even if worthy of recognition.

Investment in what? Roads for toursits to visit it?

No one is talking restoration or even actual archaeological preservation.

Sisaket rarely sees too many toursits,

this was never an Ankor Wat or Jade Budha level attractions.

I see you live in Sisaket, but do you really see hundreds of vendors?

Hundreds of tourists in the past?

This place is off most all radars outside of there. EXCEPT for this dispute.

It IS a good distraction from political crisis,

and appeases the nationalist factions in both countries.

And that is stoked from the French demarking the lines years ago.

Maybe it IS a good high ground from a military point of view,

but that's only releveant during an actual war.

Not much more than that is in play.

Edited by animatic

Everyone?

Well a few DOZEN vendors,

who could vend at many other temples available.

Before you cross the border to Cambodia there is (or was) a wide avenue and car park with shops down both sides, across the border there is a village devoted almost entirely to the temple, as you walk around the complex there are many other vendors catering for the tourists. There is no other temple in the region which compares.

Site of Great Importance...

nope just an other set of old stones with some cross cultural interest from 1,000 years past.

But not particularly unique in the region even if worthy of recognition.

It is a site of great importance and now recognised as a World Heritage site. It is unique in the region. The design and layout of the site is particularly interesting, and many cultural aspects are quite unique, although I concede that such a site is not everyone's cup of tea

Investment in what? Roads for toursits to visit it?

No one is talking restoration or even actual archaeological preservation.

Invesment in clearing mines, improving access to the site - you cannot reach it by car and there is a rather old delapidated "road train", facilities for visitors within and around the site, including a visitor centre, preservation of the site with proper walkways and repair of the vandalised buildings.

Sisaket rarely sees too many toursits,

this was never an Ankor Wat or Jade Budha level attractions.

I see you live in Sisaket, but do you really see hundreds of vendors?

Hundreds of tourists in the past?

This place is off most all radars outside of there. EXCEPT for this dispute.

No it isn't an Ankor Wat but the site is important for the region, yes, there were hundreds of vendors and hundreds of tourists, additionally, many tour operators, hotels and guest houses in the area are affected

It IS a good distraction from political crisis,

and appeases the nationalist factions in both countries.

And that is stoked from the French demarking the lines years ago.

Maybe it IS a good high ground from a military point of view,

but that's only releveant during an actual war.

Not much more than that is in play.

I guess you've never been there?

Is the temple area open to tourists at the present time? I would like to see the temple and surounding area for myself.

Entrance to Preah Vihear on Thai side to be accessible to tourists next week

The entrance to Preah Vihear Temple on Thai side will be reopened to tourists next week, Second Army Area Commander Lt Gen Wibulsak Neepal said Monday.

He said the situation along the Thai-Cambodian border has improved since the latest clashes between troops of the two countries so the Thai troops will allow tourists from the Thai side to visit the Mor Idaeng Cliff, which is next to the entrance to the Preah Vihear Temple.

The Nation May 11, 2009

The PM now must be Khun Thaksin as his 4 years is not over yet.

He did not lose an election. He was down by a coup.

After the coup, Army made new Constitution Law and find faults to dissolve Thai Rak Thai Party

and to ban 111 politicians. 1 person is wrong and the whole set is gone. In Thailand only.

Point 1 )

Thaksin was only CARE TAKER PM ast the time of the coup. He himself had called a snap election

and HE WAS NOT ELECTED TO A 5 YEAR TERM

because HE cancelled it by calling a snap election...

so there IS NO 5 YEAR TERM TO FINISH.

Point 2 )

Thaksin's LAST election was BEFORE THE COUP. Under 1997 Constitutional rules.

His team cheated using smaller parties to run against them

so they could met the lower percentage for running opposed

versus the significantly higher percentage needed for running UNOPPOSED.

They got caught and punished using 1997 Constitutional rules.

At the time of the coup Thaksin WAS NOT ELECTED PM, only temporary caretaker PM.

Based on LAWS FROM BEFORE THE COUP; 1997 Constitutional rules.

Point 3 )

Yes the constitution was changed by committee assigned

by the ARMY's government, but TRT was brought down by laws from 1997 Constitution.

Those laws were not significantly changed in the current constitution,

which was VOTED ON BY ALL THAI VOTERS AND APPROVED.

Edited by animatic

Thanks for the information. If either of you hear of a definate opening please post or send me an e-mail.

Is Surin a good place for overnight lodging on a driving trip to the temple? I will be driving from Bangsaen in Cholburi province.

Mike

The main point is the ruling class wants to be in power so they did all they can including supporting a coup, changing Constitution Law and cutting competitor.

It's like if you're not the best student, instead of studying harder, you kick the best student out so your record is highest.

Thaksin was ruling class too,

until he stepped on too many other ruling class toes.

His own mistakes.

PM admits UNESCO traveled to observe Preah Vihear without notifying Thailand

BANGKOK, 14 May 2009 (NNT) - The Ministry of Defense and relevant security agencies have been instructed by the Prime Minister to investigate the presence of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) officials at Preah Vihear Temple near the Thai-Cambodian border.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva voiced his personal belief that the team of observers from the UNESCO was present at the Thai-Cambodian border as part of its inspection of Preah Vihear Temple. He stated however that officials of the Defense Ministry and other security agencies had been tasked with probing the matter.

When asked whether or not the UNESCO officials had notified the Thai government of their visit in advance, Mr. Abhisit evaded the question by stating that Cambodia must still adhere to the UNESCO’s mandate although it had successfully inscribed Preah Vihear as a World Heritage Site. Therefore, he said such an unexpected activity around the temple area was understandable. The Prime Minister added that if the officials had traveled to the temple from the Thai side, they should have notified the Thai government in advance, so that Thailand could have the chance to welcome them and facilitate their travel.

Preah Vihear Temple is located atop Mor E-Daeng Cliff near the Thai-Cambodian border. The ownership of the historic structure had been long disputed between the two neighboring nations until the year 1962, when the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled that it belonged to Cambodia. However, the surrounding area of the temple has remained an issue until today.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 14 May 2009

article here

PM admits UNESCO traveled to observe Preah Vihear without notifying Thailand

BANGKOK, 14 May 2009 (NNT) - The Ministry of Defense and relevant security agencies have been instructed by the Prime Minister to investigate the presence of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) officials at Preah Vihear Temple near the Thai-Cambodian border.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva voiced his personal belief that the team of observers from the UNESCO was present at the Thai-Cambodian border as part of its inspection of Preah Vihear Temple. He stated however that officials of the Defense Ministry and other security agencies had been tasked with probing the matter.

When asked whether or not the UNESCO officials had notified the Thai government of their visit in advance, Mr. Abhisit evaded the question by stating that Cambodia must still adhere to the UNESCO’s mandate although it had successfully inscribed Preah Vihear as a World Heritage Site. Therefore, he said such an unexpected activity around the temple area was understandable. The Prime Minister added that if the officials had traveled to the temple from the Thai side, they should have notified the Thai government in advance, so that Thailand could have the chance to welcome them and facilitate their travel.

Preah Vihear Temple is located atop Mor E-Daeng Cliff near the Thai-Cambodian border. The ownership of the historic structure had been long disputed between the two neighboring nations until the year 1962, when the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled that it belonged to Cambodia. However, the surrounding area of the temple has remained an issue until today.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 14 May 2009

article here

What a laugh. Why should UNESCO inform Thai government when they go to visit a Cambodian Temple. It has got nothing to do with Thailand. Get it!

Mark, don't you have better things to do than peeping at your neighbour's wife?