Seeking Something Bitter.

Cuban

I'm looking for a spice, leaf or liquid that I can use to product a bitter taste in a drink.

Ideally I want a local replacement for Angostura Bitters, I am not seeking where to buy a bottle of AB, I seek a replacement that will do the same a similar job.

Any ideas welcomed. :o

There is NO substitute to Angustora. any substitute will be imperfect. ;-( It us made in Trinidad from herbs and spices with a unique flavor layers.!

Although that statement is true and one would not consider putting motorcycle wheels on a Rolls Royce - there are occasions where shipping exotic items out to rural Thailand does not make sense. So improvisation is required.

Although that is an interesting link, and I thank you for it, the most common words on the page after 'bitters' are "Limited availability" and "Unavailable"

Thank you for the idea SBK - I will try a Bitter Melon - the drink that this is being mixed with is already too sweet so part of the AB's job is already done. I have experimented with some stoned soft fruit - but that was not successful.

For those following, hers's a picture....

post-31633-1238039689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cuban

I was going to say "Ma-Ra'

cos I couldnt think of the english word for it

but SBK already beat me to it :o

there is also a smaller version..... darker green, tiny little thing?

• 2 weeks later...