Anyone Recognize This Bird Species?

IanForbes

I heard this lovely bird before I finally saw it... perched high in a tree on the Doi Suthep trail. It had the most varied and melodious song. The bird song was a series of whistles, warbles and clucks... quite attractive actually. The bird seemed to be the size of a crow with a pale grey breast and a top-not on its head. Anyone know the species?

Sorry for the blurry picture, but it was the best I could do from over 100 feet away and looking into a maize of branches.

Bird_songs_2.jpg

The trail made a nice afternoon walk on a hot muggy day. Lots of families soaking in the creek on a sunny Sunday in Chiang Mai.

Doi_Suthep_trail_16.jpg

Trail_Cliff_jumping_2.jpg

Lots of butterflies as well

Trail_butterflies.jpg

Side note ...Why are the butterflies all together there? What is attracting them?

I don't know. But, they were in exactly the same spot 3 weekends in a row. The interesting thing about them was they are bright blue when flying, but close their wings immediately on landing and the underside of the wing is quite dull. I didn't see them anywhere else on the stream, but did see lots of the big, dark red butterflies that wouldn't stop flying long enough to take a photo. I think I have a photo on one of my other files of the big red butterflies, but can't find it at the moment.

And, thanks to Goshawk for giving me the name of the bird with the melodious song. I'll have to get a bird book of Thai species. I have lots of bird books of North American birds at home.

Side note ...Why are the butterflies all together there? What is attracting them?

I don't know. But, they were in exactly the same spot 3 weekends in a row. The interesting thing about them was they are bright blue when flying, but close their wings immediately on landing and the underside of the wing is quite dull. I didn't see them anywhere else on the stream, but did see lots of the big, dark red butterflies that wouldn't stop flying long enough to take a photo. I think I have a photo on one of my other files of the big red butterflies, but can't find it at the moment.

And, thanks to Goshawk for giving me the name of the bird with the melodious song. I'll have to get a bird book of Thai species. I have lots of bird books of North American birds at home.

The reason the butterflies gather at certain spots is to drink! usually moist shady spots under trees or banksof streams.

Even moreso, they can smell the salt/ mineral concentrations and will go to the edge of some evaporating bit where the salts and trace elements are more concentrated. You can see butterflies gathering like this at the edges of ponds and rivers all over, but there can't be too many people clambering by or they scatter off.