Alternative Countries To Retire To!

homeless007

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's great to see that several members here have done extensive research on these alternatives, indicating that if they could be elsewhere tomorrow, they would be gone. It appears that the main bugbears with Thailand is the lack of a decently structured, properly managed retirement visa scheme and realistic foreign land ownership laws.

Any other negatives for LOS?

Edited by NanLaew

Canada.

Two of my USA friends have gotten their retirement paperwork or residency papers. Not sure of the exact words , but it was farily routine. They had five years from time of application to actually get there. Both are in BC. One in Revelstoke a bit remote and cold for most. The other is on the Sunshine Coast north of Vancouver. Pretty darn pretty up there. Cost of living is not a fantastic bargain, but the area is nice. Water is ice free year round mostly.

Canada, like the USA, has no retirement visa. People do emigrate to Canada based on different requirements, but not using retirement visas because such a thing does not exist in Canada.

As long as we are mentioning first world countries, if you are wealthy you may be able to retire to France. You make an individual application, the specific requirements are not published, each case is evaluated individually. I think you are even eligible for France's health care system as well, the best in the world according to the WHO.

Edited by Jingthing

By living, working and playing in South-East Asia for more than 15 years, I would never dream about retiring in this part of the world.

My family having a house in Provence, south of France, that's where my plans are heading to. But being a self-employed without (yet) any retirement program, maybe I will never make it. So if it is the case, I will sell it, keep my base in Bangkok and traveling extensively.

As for Australia, my parents best friends sold their property on the French Riviera, few years ago, to buy an estate in Port Douglas and now they deeply regret their move. Mainly because they are a kind of socialite who will never get acquainted with the easy going Ozzie lifestyle.

Otherwise, touring the country (campervan) at your own pace is a brilliant idea before making a bigger move.

Chile .. almost any kind of weather you could desire. Property ownership, price level isn't bad, easy visa, (90 day VOA at any border crossing). Very low population density. Realistic residency permit. Great wines. Transparency .. almost first world.

I don't think they offer a long term retirement visa. Retired people get older and older. Visa runs get tired!

Not sure about a "Retirement Visa", but residency is about as easy in Chile as a retirement extension of "O" visa in Thailand .. and yes runs get tiresome, especially the 90 day reporting..

correct, and the same goes for Paraguay.

Uruguay........please keep it a secret........it is the best place in all of S. America.......and they want you......gorgeous coastline, easy visa rules, very little crime........

I have heard very good things about Uruguay recently from friends who have traveled and stayed there.

Montevideo is quite a cosmopolitan city and the beaches are stunning and clean.

Cost of living is low, probably less than Thailand.

I don't know anyone who has actually lived there for a period of time but I think it is worth investigating.

For me a big plus is that I speak Spanish and that would be a nice change.

you are MOST probably completely mistaken. Uruguay does not levy income tax on offshore income but the indirect taxes (VAT) are sky high.

Regarding Brazil, there is an investment visa alternative. 50K USD invested in Brazil by your Brazil corporation gets you a 5 year renewable visa. You can use it to buy real estate or even stocks:

http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache:hAfCZ1...lient=firefox-a

YAWNNNNN... been there, checked it out, discarded it! the investment visa requires you to run a VIABLE and TAX PAYING company with at least 2 brazilian employees (this number varies from state to state depending on unemployment figures); domestic employees do NOT count. i am too lazy to list all existing other bureaucratic hurdles which make the retirement visa in Thailand look like a walk in the park :o

I don't doubt that you think that but I have heard differently. You may be right but I am not as certain as you are. Did you actually visit a Brazilian immigration lawyer?

Jingthing, we owned land in Brazil in the most beautiful environment and climate 1,000m above sea level, 1½ hours drive from Rio and were on the verge to sign a contract to build our retirement home. had already negotiated customs duty and "tea money" for customs through a despachante, a close friend of ours and neighbour to be is a brazilian MP, we explored all kind of feasible avenues... and then gave up. what more can i say? :D

Dont think anyone has mentioned Indonesia .Other than Thailand my next choice would be Bali ( Indonesia ) or the Philippines .Bali is a cheap place to live with friendly people and beautiful looking girls .The landscape is exotic and green with mountains and beaches .

Applicant is 55 years of age or older,

Possess a passport or travel documents with more than 18 months remaining validity,

Sbmit full identification (copy of all passport pages) and four passport photos 4 x 6 cm,

Curriculum vitae,

Statement from Pension Fund Foundation or Bank from the country of origin (or Indonesia) of funds available, minimum of US$1,500 per month, to provide the applicant living expenses during the proposed stay in Indonesia (Total US$18,000 per year) (VERY stiff compared to other countries requirements - US$600/month in Panama),

Proof of medical/health Insurance, death insurance, and personal liability insurance in country of origin or Indonesia,

Statement of living accommodation in Indonesia. Minimum cost of US$35,000 if

purchased house/apartment or, a minimum rental cost of US$500/month in Jakarta, Bandung, and Bali; US$300/month for other cities in Java Island, Batam, and Medan, and other cities a minimum US$ 200/month.) in the tourist areas according to the regulations,

Statement to declare employment of an Indonesian maid servant whilst living in Indonesia,

Payment of Immigration Fee based on effective regulations,

Sponsor letter from the appointed travel agency, costs to be paid by applicant,

Statement agreeing not to engage in business activities or work for a living. You MAY NOT WORK in Indonesia on this visa!

You may stay in Indonesia for one year on this visa, extendable for up to a maximum stay of five years.

After extending the limited stay permit for five times (5 years), foreign retirees can apply for a permanent stay permit visa (KITAP) through a Senior Foreign Tourist Travel Bureau, as follows:

Application letter and guarantee from tourist travel bureau as a sponsor.

License (SIUP) and tax number (NPWP) of the travel bureau.

Appointment letter of travel bureau to handle the Foreign Senior Tourist.

Curriculum vitae.

Original and copy of valid passport

Four photographs, size 2x3 cm.

Statement of accounts, issued by Pension Fund Institution or bank/s declaring funds of not less than US$1,500/month are available to finance his/her stay in Indonesia.

Statement/evidence verifying actual stay at available accommodation facilities through the purchase or rental at minimum specified rates.

Statement to declare employment of Indonesian maid-servant during his/her stay in Indonesia.

The most recent, still valid, limited stay permit visa.

Be advised that even on a retirement visa, you will be liable to pay Indonesian personal income tax, taxed at the rate of 35% for incomes over Rp 200 million/year ($20,000).

Edited by Naam

Anybody with concrete location tips for the Philippines and upper east coast Australia? Beach, Fishing, Town and amenities within easy reach and some touristy flair. I loved Pt. Douglas, Cairns area. Would be a solution to go 50:50 between the 2 countries. What would be considered a reasonable budget, owning a big camper and traveling around Australia?

Thanks for all the great and positive feedback so far!

WW. :o

Jingthing, we owned land in Brazil

How many years ago?

I think I recall reading something fairly recently that you could buy a condo in Brazil as an investment and rent it out and that would be considered adequate for the investor visa there to allow you to stay. Then you could buy (or rent) a second place to stay.

Regarding Chile, does anyone have a link on the actual requirements for the so called easy residency you can obtain there. I am skeptical.

The Philippines is so obvious, I hesitate to mention it. There you are welcome. Visa policies are very relaxed. Ask any expat "Living in the Philippines." about cost of living, nighlife, beachlife, even buying condos.

Respectfully,

Donalton

Don,

"Living in the Philippines"

having read your post naam,why would anyone bother with indonesia,very expensive "asks" by the authorities.

it seems (for whatever reason with Thailand) disgruntled people on TV bother with any country. the problem is that hardly anybody has conducted a proper research including the travelling. but many throw in a few bits and suggestions although they know next to nothing or their knowledge is completely outdated.

Jingthing, we owned land in Brazil

How many years ago?

we sold it two years ago

I think I recall reading something fairly recently that you could buy a condo in Brazil as an investment and rent it out and that would be considered adequate for the investor visa there to allow you to stay. Then you could buy (or rent) a second place to stay.

you think... you recall. don't think, rely on facts! i have more than a dozen brazilian friends with whom i keep nearly daily contact in a financial forum. if you have specific questions i can ask them on your behalf. but isn't it sufficient to read the quotes from a government website i posted? will "thinking and recalling that you read something fairly recently" change prevailing laws? :o

Doesn't it get COLD in Bulgaria in winter?

Bulgaria has a short winter lasting about 4 months during which there are days of wonderful winter sunshine and plenty of snow in the mountains.Many people use that time to enjoy the many local ski resorts.

Edited by malcolminthemiddle

I am impressed how much interest this subject found. Also nice, that all posts are friendly and positive. Obviously some people are looking for other/better options than Thailand.

Love the Australia idea, East Coast all the way up absolutely great and love the Aussie lifestyle. Everybody is so friendly and helpful. Did not realize you can stay longer than 180 days per year, since it means you are going around the Rules. Australia must be the best organized and controlled immigration system in the world. 6-7000$/mth. ok to live? Non drinker & -smoker!

US is easy enough, misc. options and with a possible retirement scheme it will get even better. Anybody on Bali, never been there?

Thanks to everybody!

WW. :o

Uruguay........please keep it a secret........it is the best place in all of S. America.......and they want you......gorgeous coastline, easy visa rules, very little crime........

Punta del este is recommended. But cars are much more expensive than in Thailand, but you still find some very old cars like Ford T (Thin Lizzy) or similar.

Here is some good info on retiring in Chile. It sounds pretty good except the paperwork involved and the implication here is clearly that qualifying on bank account alone is not standard and perhaps not possible:

http://www.allsouthernchile.com/southameri...cles/index.html

Regarding Uruguay, the retirement income requirements are:

Persons who live off interest/rents, retirees and pensioners in foreign countries must present a notary public certification indicating their status and monthly incomes he/she will receive in Uruguay (minimum required United States dollars 1.500,00/one thousand five hundred).

I think owned Uruguayan real estate may also be used to qualify but couldn't find what the minimum value of that real estate would have to be.

Edited by Jingthing

Getting a lot of good feedback about Davao, Philippines. Anybody been there?

WW.

Um .. you sure? Don't get on the list these guys work from.

Human Rights Watch said that, in Davao City, a so-called Davao Death Squad composed of thugs and former rebels would compile lists of suspected criminals from the police or village officials. The leader of the squad provides the weapons, the address and sometimes even the photographs of targets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/world/as...s.html?ref=asia

And a mayor to die for? :o

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...ZHbou2BTeECclhA

Indonesia, somewhere on the West Coast of Java about 1-2 hrs from Jakata, would be my top recommendation.

IMHO it it knocks Thailand into a cocked hat on many levels (food, weather, culture, local sensibilities / ease of learning the language / number of expat residents and holiday-makers / cost of living / night-life / attractiveness of female pop'n / music / politics / local TV / country-side / beaches / wild-life etc etc etc).

And I imagine that people will choose the place to live-out there days based on quality of life, rather than the legalities.

If I couldn't comply with / get around the retirement visa reg's then I will end-up in Malaysia, they do have a real grey-friendly policy and the country almost as nice as Indonesia.

I think Thailand is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

londo

Indonesia, somewhere on the West Coast of Java about 1-2 hrs from Jakata, would be my top recommendation.

IMHO it it knocks Thailand into a cocked hat on many levels (food, weather, culture, local sensibilities / ease of learning the language / number of expat residents and holiday-makers / cost of living / night-life / attractiveness of female pop'n / music / politics / local TV / country-side / beaches / wild-life etc etc etc).

And I imagine that people will choose the place to live-out there days based on quality of life, rather than the legalities.

If I couldn't comply with / get around the retirement visa reg's then I will end-up in Malaysia, they do have a real grey-friendly policy and the country almost as nice as Indonesia.

I think Thailand is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

londo

Thanks....Any city names?

WW.

Getting a lot of good feedback about Davao, Philippines. Anybody been there?

WW.

Um .. you sure? Don't get on the list these guys work from.

Human Rights Watch said that, in Davao City, a so-called Davao Death Squad composed of thugs and former rebels would compile lists of suspected criminals from the police or village officials. The leader of the squad provides the weapons, the address and sometimes even the photographs of targets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/world/as...s.html?ref=asia

And a mayor to die for? :o

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...ZHbou2BTeECclhA

I've been to Davao and all I know is that the place was clean (OK, its relative), no stray dogs and no one bothered me when I walked back to my hotel around midnight. FWIW the Filipinos I spoke with seemed to support the mayor.

Personally, I would get a nice 60ft yacht & cruise the highseas checking out all the coastal locations & if you manage to check them all out before either the high seas or the pirates kill you, then you can take your pick of the best & live there......back to reality :o