30th Bangkok Intnl Motor Show Opens

george

30th Bangkok Intnl Motor Show opens

Niche production in focus as Motor Show opens today

BANGKOK: -- At the 30th Bangkok International Motor Show, which opens to the general public tomorrow, the new Nissan Teana will be the only mass-market model to be launched as auto companies offer niche products to win customers.

"New models are needed in times when the market is down, in order to boost sales. New models also have an impact on sales of other models from the company. Despite the slump in the market, we believe it is the right time to launch the [Teana] product in the market," said Roger Immel, vice president for sales at Siam Nissan.

The firm is also launching the 370Z sports car at the show.

While many mass-market companies are worried about a 30-per-cent drop in sales in the first two months of the year, some niche players see this as an opportunity.

Malaysian auto-maker Proton has launched the Neo CPS, a higher-powered version of the Neo. Proton hopes for good sales due to its Bt698,000 price tag and targets selling 4,000 units this year as customers turn more to passenger cars with smaller and more efficient engines.

"Auto companies that have local production in Thailand will have a more difficult time adjusting sales accordingly. But Thailand is a very important market for us, and despite the economic gloom, there is lots of room for us to grow," said Gunther Scherz, general manager for international sales at Proton Automobiles.

One sign of this is Honda bringing in the |Freed multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) for a mar-|ket survey. Some auto-makers predict the passenger-car market may grow by more than 25 per cent this year. Honda also has on display the Insight hybrid.

Even Chinese maker Chery has grabbed a spot at the show with its QQ mini-car. Other vehicles by Chery are the Tiggo sport-utility vehicle and Cross MPV. The firm hopes to sell 5,000 vehicles in the Kingdom this year.

The fact that Proton and Chery have such high expectations while the automobile market has |fallen by 30 per cent is worth noting. It shows |people are clearly moving away from pickups, and more people who only need transport are buying a sedan.

Indian auto-maker Tata, however, still sees a steady pickup market and has just launched the Xenon single cab.

"While the extended-cab and four-door pickup markets may be shrinking, people still need vehicles to operate small businesses. This is why the market for single cabs remains stable. People need vehicles that have a high return and are cheap to operate," said Tata Motor Thailand CEO Ajit Venkataraman.

On the premium side, car makers are unsure how the market will turn out. While officials at Lexus believe sales will be stable, due to a range of new products, other brands are not so optimistic.

"We cannot predict what's going to happen in the coming months with such a changing scenario. Our direction is to go back to basics, work the market on a monthly basis and adjust our production accordingly. Stock control is key to getting through the crisis. People still have buying power in Thailand, which is why we will provide more attractive options from our leasing company," said Alexander Paufler, president of Mercedes-Benz Thailand.

The premium market, however, is also seeing another strong player: Volkswagen. Its local distributor, Thai Yarnyon, hopes to sell 1,000 units this year, including 500 Caravelle vans, 100 Passat sedans and 70 Sciroccos.

Show organisers expect sales to reach 17,000 vehicles this year, up from 15,000 last year. The show - at the Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Centre - is open for 14 days, two more than last year.

The visitor count is expected to reach 1.5 million.

-- The Nation 2009-03-26

I want a USD 2,000 Tata Young Nana. Where can I buy it?

Sorry for the typo; I mean Tata Nano, the world's cheapest car for a cheap charlie like me.

India? and maybe soon Myanmar. Apparently in a press release i read not Thailand as it will not suit the Thai driving style which is massivly different to the Indian :o:D:D or could it be the "home"(Japanese)industry have warned them off.

peterd1961

I have a 6 year old heavy Ford Ranger 4x4 4 door with 112 HP.

That is compared to all the new models and engines of the last years, 145-174 HP not much.

I Testdrived some cars and from the engine to weight ratio and driving ability the lightweight Toyota Vigo 2 door 2x2 model which my girlfriends family owns, was the only one which impressed me.

All the than heavier 4x4 4 door models let you feel the weight when driving. Agility is missing.

If I buy a new Pickup, I would like to have the new Topmodel.

I sometimes drive from Isaan to Phuket and on to Satun, not so bad to have fun with a powerful car on long distances.

Visited the Bangkok Motor Show on Sunday and took some photos (with something for everyone?) Photos taken via iPhone thus quality not brilliant but ok.

Uploading 300 more to facebook and will post url later (IF permitted) : :o

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0208-1.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Note the sign... :D

Despite girls with 'convenient' marginal low-self-esteem/dreams/hopes 'apparently' with few options paraded about (wot makes some Thais & Expats odometers click apparently, also ala western rap-khrap or spring break videos) and despite the lame Bkk Motor/Girl Show PC themed "Green Life on Wheels" non-sense, it was a great day out (replete with Singha tents everywhere for the motoring home throngs...)

Also, despite personal preference of rev-head info provided via BBC's silly mad-fun of 'Top Gear' and Alan Clarkson (and his ever-suffering, sometimes endangered but always vertically challenged cast & crew convenient for towering self-ego), a nod must be given to Sammy to sum-up (pre-Van-Hagar and despite the 80's "top-gear" hair & Dr Who-esque gear) :o

Edited by baht&sold