Import Duty Info Needed

I'm being sent a chair (new, made from wood and leather) to Bangkok port.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of costs I can expect to face, import tax, etc - just a rough amount.

The package is 0.7 cubic m, 80x90x90cm, and weighs 35kg. It's valued at $100.

Thanks for any help

Acually it is not all that uncertain...

You find out the import duty rate for the commodity (this is based upon the HS Code)

I want to say that furniture is 10%, but don't quote me on that...

The duty will be calculated using CIF value of goods (this means Value of Goods +Freight Costs+Insurance Cost)

Duty%*CIF Value=Duty amount

Then they will charge you for VAT of 7%

VAT is charged on (CIF Value + Duty amount)

Then you add Duty amount to VAT amount...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the formula used unless goods are subject to Excise tax and Interior tax (but most goods are not subject to these taxes)

Edited by CWMcMurray

Acually it is not all that uncertain...

You find out the import duty rate for the commodity (this is based upon the HS Code)

I want to say that furniture is 10%, but don't quote me on that...

The duty will be calculated using CIF value of goods (this means Value of Goods +Freight Costs+Insurance Cost)

Duty%*CIF Value=Duty amount

Then they will charge you for VAT of 7%

VAT is charged on (CIF Value + Duty amount)

Then you add Duty amount to VAT amount...

This is the formula used unless goods are subject to Excise tax and Interior tax (but most goods are not subject to these taxes)

----------------------------------------------

Very good response but I have difficulty with b]Acually it is not all that uncertain[/b] when it is followed by I want to say that furniture is 10%, but don't quote me on that...

also " value of goods"To the best of my knowledge the value is established by Thai customs not an international price guide as one would expect.

I still stand by whether.

Very good response but I have difficulty with b]Acually it is not all that uncertain[/b] when it is followed by I want to say that furniture is 10%, but don't quote me on that...

also " value of goods"To the best of my knowledge the value is established by Thai customs not an international price guide as one would expect.

I still stand by whether.

Checked this morning and can verify that furniture is in fact Duty: 20%

Thai customs does not verify the "Value of goods" for every single shipment coming into Thailand. If the goods are cleared manually they will look at the invoice value to ensure that it is not undervalued, if undervalued they will ask you to revise invoice value and will advise a "Fair Market Value" that is usually not all that fair...

If the invoice value is not noticibly undervalued in most cases it can be submitted "Green line" through the paperless customs sytem and no problem.

So why not just submit everything via "greenline" whether it is under valued or not?

...Because if it is caught in post audit serious penalties will apply to the freight forwarder and importer of record. If the importer is a individual it is most likely that the freight forwarder will be left holding the bag as Thai Customs will not bother going after the individual.

So rule of thumb, just be honest about the actual value of goods on the invoice and Thai customs will not use their own value and you won't have any problems post audit.

Edited by FirstJobThailand

• 1 month later...
Checked this morning and can verify that furniture is in fact Duty: 20%

I was just working off my memory (as faulty as it is)...

I checked and you are correct furniture is 20%

Where and how did you find the 20%?

From (http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp) most furnitures are listed as 80%

94.03 Other furniture and parts thereof.

9403.10 - Metal furniture of a kind used in offices 80 - -

9403.20 - Other metal furniture 80 - -

9403.30 - Wooden furniture of a kind used in offices 80 - -

9403.40 - Wooden furniture of a kind used in the kitchen 80 - -

9403.50 - Wooden furniture of a kind used in the bedroom 80 - -

9403.60 - Other wooden furniture 80 - -

9403.70 - Furniture of plastics 80 - -

9403.80 - Furniture of other materials, including cane, osier, bamboo or similar materials 80 - -

9403.90 - Parts 80 - -

94.04 Mattress supports; articles of bedding and similar furnishing (for example, mattresses, quilts, eiderdowns, cushions, pouffes and pillows) fitted with springs or stuffed or internally fitted with any material or of cellular rubber or plastics, whether or not covered.

9404.10 - Mattress supports 80 - -

- Mattresses :

9404.21 - - Of cellular rubber or plastics, whether or not covered 80 - -

9404.29 - - Of other materials 80 - -

9404.30 - Sleeping bags 80 - -

9404.90 - Other 80 - -

94.05 Lamps and lighting fittings including searchlights and spotlights and parts thereof, not elsewhere specified or included; illuminated signs, illuminated name-plates and the like, having a permanently fixed light source, and parts thereof not elsewhere specified or included.

9405.10 - Chandeliers and other electric ceiling or wall lighting fittings, excluding those of a kind used for lighting publicopen spaces or thoroughfares 80 - -

I got it from our Import Duty Department, but you can get it from the same website you put on your post.

The rates you have is what comes up on the default, but if you choose a "preference"

"General Rate" is 20%

"Asean Free Trade Area" is 5%

"If origin of goods are from Japan" 5%

Thai Customs

Edited by CWMcMurray