Abtc, Work Permit

Greetings all.

I am an Aussie, working for a Canadian company and paying tax as an Australian resident (for now). I travel quite a bit throughout AsiaPac for my job, typically using my APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) to get the equivalent of a business visa when I enter an APEC economy.

Since November last year, Bangkok's been my "home", the ABTC's terms being sufficient to allow me to do that in a way that's quite compatible with my work/travel situation. I expect to marry my (Thai) fiance later this year (or maybe early next), and I'm trying to figure out what the best option for me is regarding obtaining a work permit.

I have no particular interest in creating a Thai company or partnership although I'll do it if I have to, and whilst I can see it'll be straightforward to get a non-imm O (marriage) visa later, this doesn't help me get the work permit (as I'm not and will not be working for a Thai company in any sense).

I know there's not much clarity regarding what's considered "work" versus "business" and therefore what's permissable under a non-imm B (or ABTC) without work permit, which leads me to the real reason for wanting a work permit: simply to allow me to "do my job" while living here and be compliant with the law.

Is there any simpler alternative to going through the rigmarole of creating my own company (with all the annoying issues to do with hiring local labour, capital, legal issues, business premises etc)?

Keen to hear any ideas, regards,

Pat.