Confiscated Perfumes And The Like At Airport Checkin

Livinginexile

Many times I have seen irrate pasengers getting their expensive perfumes and after shaves confiscated at the departure gate bag checks.

I hear many times passengers pleading with customs that the bottles are half full and the contents meet the allotted amount.

Allways to no avail, they allways point blank refuse to listen to any reason. I often wondered why they were so tough. Even when the bottle is clearly half empty!

Today I found out why. My Thai wife told me that on sanuk.com there are many "used" expensive perfumes for sale, all the expensive brands...EVERY DAY.

She also told me it is common knowledge amongst the Thai's that this is where they come from. No wonder customs are so forcefull, they are making a fortune out of it!

I was a bit shocked :D you think you've seen it all in Thailand but there is allways one more :o

:D

Many times I have seen irrate pasengers getting their expensive perfumes and after shaves confiscated at the departure gate bag checks.

I hear many times passengers pleading with customs that the bottles are half full and the contents meet the allotted amount.

Allways to no avail, they allways point blank refuse to listen to any reason. I often wondered why they were so tough. Even when the bottle is clearly half empty!

Today I found out why. My Thai wife told me that on sanuk.com there are many "used" expensive perfumes for sale, all the expensive brands...EVERY DAY.

She also told me it is common knowledge amongst the Thai's that this is where they come from. No wonder customs are so forcefull, they are making a fortune out of it!

I was a bit shocked :D you think you've seen it all in Thailand but there is allways one more :o

:D:D Makes sense, there are scams all over the place in the land of smiles.

it's security, not customs.

why would anybody need up to a 100ml of perfume or aftershave on a maximum 1 day journey - pack it up in the hold luggage and have a peace of mind.

but it's true, that customs, even in the uk, are selling for themselves on the black market confiscated goods. They even confiscate bags and walk with them out of the airport terminals.

Items confiscated at US airports are regularly sold at auctions, and online. What's the big deal?

The big deal is that it leads to corruption. Customs (in amy country) now has an incentive to arbitrarily sieze items that are then sold for profit or kept for personal use.

Any liquids seized should be accounted for, then destroyed.

As always, just follow the money...

I am surprised, I thought they would be selling the fake perfumes like they do at the markets and on the street.

The Saudi approach does at least seem fairer.

They will not allow any liquids to be brought into the country

and you have to pour it down a sink.........

No danger of re-sale that way. :D

Another approach is to say Ooops and drop the bottle,

hopefully it will smash and they can enjoy the scent for the rest of the day. :o

Items confiscated at US airports are regularly sold at auctions, and online. What's the big deal?

The big deal is that it leads to corruption. Customs (in amy country) now has an incentive to arbitrarily sieze items that are then sold for profit or kept for personal use.

those auctions and online sale are run by customs office, money goes to treasury. Custom officers in any civilised country are well paid to avoid corruption and there are procedures to follow and forms to be filled on confiscation, still part of the staff is not recorded and disappeares

Custom officers in any civilised country are well paid to avoid corruption and there are procedures to follow and forms to be filled on confiscation, still part of the staff is not recorded and disappeares

Wouldn't be too sure about that :o

I believe in many countries all confiscated stuff is destroyed. Bit of a waste, but the powers that be are concerned that the liquids may be Contaminated or poisonous; too much of a risk to pass on to the general public.

wait till they realise you can light your own farts - a dedicated baked bean consuming group could create enough gas to cause an international incident :D

I heard a rumour, Ryanair are considering using this potential new biofuel, to run their planes and sell tickets for less. :o

In the UK, lost-luggage is sometimes auctioned-off, for charity.

It's all a crock anyway as you can buy liquids at Duty Free and take them on board.

Yeah, because they are assuming that no one has the skills to produce anything dangerous on site from what you can buy at Duty Free.

:o

I know for a fact, (don't ask) that at some airports here, security divides the confiscated liquids, gels and other prohibited items according to seniority. Doesn't bother me, everyone should know the rules on what is allowable, remember to put the good stuff in checked baggage.

And stolen goods plus cars found by police are sold on through the back door.

So keep to the legal limits and stop moaning.

I have to admit this is frustrating and has happened to me on a few occasions. So to get some poetic justice I did what I did whilst working in a large office. Every day I would put a bottle of cocal cola in the fridge and someone would steal most of it. I even said, look if you want some just ask (I am not a skin flint), usally to a lot of laughing and sniggering

This behaviour persisted so I put a stop to it.

I emptied some coke out of the bottle and pissed in it.

So when this happened again I was very pleased to announce I had pissed in it. Am I a sick <deleted>? Maybe. I don't care. These are thieves. It was amazing to see so many people laughing and three or four people going white. Funnily how quickly they left for the bathroom. Cause and effect. I don't care, especially for cheats and thieves. Thats what these people are. But I will tell you now, nobody did it again.

So if you have an unfinished bottle of whisky you know what to do when going the airport. :o

Edited by Laughing Gravy

it's security, not customs.

why would anybody need up to a 100ml of perfume or aftershave on a maximum 1 day journey - pack it up in the hold luggage and have a peace of mind.

but it's true, that customs, even in the uk, are selling for themselves on the black market confiscated goods. They even confiscate bags and walk with them out of the airport terminals.

The problem is when you when you are travelling on business normally two/three days I can pack all what I need into a small travel bag, this bag also contains my toiletries.

The idea of having only carry-on luggage apeals to me when I travel, less hassle having to wait on bags coming off the plane and carousel.

As a note it was also pointed out that the bottles are half empty and less than the allowance set by customs etc....

I was a bit shocked :o you think you've seen it all in Thailand but there is allways one more :rolleyes

okay...here's the good side of all of this, you've found yet another reason to slag thailand. (like there wasn't enough already)

about people complaining that their bottles are half full.....do you think security people have the time to weigh each bottle? these rules have been in place for a long time now....there is no excuse for intelligent people to complain, whether it be over half a tube of crest toothpaste, or half a bottle of chanel number whatever. refuse to listen to reason?? "reason" doesn't have anything to do with it. rules are rules! these people are in a hurry to process a lot of people efficiently in a short time.

do you think only thailand might be the only country to do something "unscrupulous" to these confiscated items?

your wife could be 100% correct, but don't isolate thailand as the only country doing this. i'm sure my crown royal whiskey in calgary wasn't poured down the sink when i got nabbed a few years back.

unfortunately, there's still too many dumb people travelling that causes other people valuable time.

so if you don't like it, blame the shoe bomber....don't blame thailand...

It's all a crock anyway as you can buy liquids at Duty Free and take them on board.

Yeah, because they are assuming that no one has the skills to produce anything dangerous on site from what you can buy at Duty Free.

from water and alcohol you can't make an explosive.

sometimes this year new scanners will be used in the major airports which detect liquid explosives and it's components, so you will be alloved to take any quantities of liquids. But those scanners are a novelty and expensive and it will take many years to put them in thousands of airports around the world

I have to admit this is frustrating and has happened to me on a few occasions. So to get some poetic justice I did what I did whilst working in a large office. Every day I would put a bottle of cocal cola in the fridge and someone would steal most of it. I even said, look if you want some just ask (I am not a skin flint), usally to a lot of laughing and sniggering

So when this happened again I was very pleased to announce I had pissed in it. Am I a sick <deleted>? Maybe. I don't care. These are thieves. It was amazing to see so many people laughing and three or four people going white. Funnily how quickly they left for the bathroom. Cause and effect. I don't care, especially for cheats and thieves. Thats what these people are. But I will tell you now, nobody did it again.

So if you have an unfinished bottle of whisky you know what to do when going the airport. :o

They probably did, then pissed in it so that you wouldn't notice

from water and alcohol you can't make an explosive.

sometimes this year new scanners will be used in the major airports which detect liquid explosives and it's components, so you will be alloved to take any quantities of liquids. But those scanners are a novelty and expensive and it will take many years to put them in thousands of airports around the world

Yeah, so you can take whatever you want on the plane from within the secure zone, but not from outside the secure zone. So IMO the rule makes sense.

:o

They probably did, then pissed in it so that you wouldn't notice

I changed to tins of coke and once opened drank the lot. So no they didn't piss in it :D

But getting to the point of perfumes and drink not allowed on board. This is due to the rediculous, over reacting, unjustified never happend attacks on plnaes in the UK.

Just check how many people who were arrested for that actually hav been charged for charges relating to the so called plane bombings (Not many). I wouldn't be suprised if soon we all have to wear special white suits and are not allowed to take any luggage at all on planes. More unjustified control

I had a pair of nail clippers confiscated from me at Mancester airport. I did ask could have them at the other end but with the security guard being as un-helpful as possible, he said no. I did ask why and he said they were a dangerous weapon. So I might have to cut all the toe nails of the pilots/passengers eh? Al quada must be shaking in their boots.

I did mention that my belt around my jeans could easily made into a rocket launcher, but he didn't seem to impressed. I suppose I just have to get use to the world being scared shitless over anything and everything. The biggest worry is talking to people who actually believe these extreme measures are there to help us. :D

Edited by Laughing Gravy