House Robbery In Kata

MisterMan

Hi MisterMan,

here another brutaly case in the Naiharn area behind the Ayudhaya Bank (Soi Samakee2)

http://www.phuketgazette.com/archives/arti...rticle7160.html

Cheers

Robinsons

Yeh I read about that one. That was near the Ayudhya Bank in Rawai not Nai Harn. I don't think there is an Ayudhya Bank in Nai Harn is there? Hey, you guys giving Nai Harn a bad name :o

Hi MisterMan,

here another brutaly case in the Naiharn area behind the Ayudhaya Bank (Soi Samakee2)

http://www.phuketgazette.com/archives/arti...rticle7160.html

Cheers

Robinsons

Yeh I read about that one. That was near the Ayudhya Bank in Rawai not Nai Harn. I don't think there is an Ayudhya Bank in Nai Harn is there? Hey, you guys giving Nai Harn a bad name :D

Rawai have no Ayudyha Bank too.

Its exactly Sai Yuan Area what i meant,between Rawai and Nai Harn.

But the Situation about many Crime Problems are there and there the same Bullshit in the moment... :o

Robinsons

Not the first time I hear about a place being burglarized in spite of big dogs being on the premises. Are dogs really such a surefire prevention against intruders, cannot they be bribed with a few sausages?

Experienced dog owners, please correct me if I am wrong. I am not an expert in this field, my dog owner career is limited to having had a toy poodle for one and a half years.

A trained dog does not take any kind of food from a stranger.

BTW: I am looking for a test person who tries to come inside our house or even outside to feed our dogs, pumping gas through the windows or the outside aircondition unit.

Please apply in person :o

Gerd

haha. i wouldnt want to be the one. your Max is one big scary boy, Gerd!

Both Nai Harn and Sai Yuan are Tambon Rawai, so Rawai does have a Bank of Ayudya.

I thought I'd got to grips with where Rawai ends and Nai Harn starts but now you're bringing in Sai Yuan (as a village?) - geez I'll never get this figured out.

With over fifteen murders and attempted murders in Phuket so far this year and many dozen break-ins while residents were sleeping, everyone needs to take better precautions in protecting themselves at home. Only depending on a couple of big dogs or only depending on a alarm system or only depending on locking your doors and windows at night will not keep determined criminals out.

You wouldn't buy a car with only brakes but no headlights or front suspension, would you? It is an integration of eight to twelve elements that keeps you alive and safe when you drive. Doesn't it make sense to make your home as safe as your vehicle?

Only depending on a couple of big dogs or only depending on a alarm system or only depending on locking your doors and windows at night will not keep determined criminals out.

Don't disagree with you, but the fact of the matter is that a determined criminal can ALWAYS find a way into your home. The trick is to persuade the criminal to find an easier target...

Am I right in assuming most burglaries take place in expensive looking abodes, where the criminals expect rich pickings?

I think it's across the board. Mostly just a crime of opportunity, see easy picking, take it.

Everyone has mobile phones, DVDs, laptops, loose change lying about... everyone is a potential target.

Am I right in assuming most burglaries take place in expensive looking abodes, where the criminals expect rich pickings?

My neighbors house is certainly much nicer then most.. however my other friend's house is much more a basic Thai house....

By the way what Number do I call if someone is breaking in???????

Edited by MisterMan

Fact of the matter is, you gotta use common sense.

1. You CANNOT leave a door or unguarded window unlocked unless you can see it.

I lock my front door when i go for a pee in the downstairs loo.

Vast majority of thefts are opportunist. If you cant see your back door when you're watching TV or whatever then it needs to be locked.

2. Keys and valuables. My next door neighbour left his keys and wallet on the coffee table in his front room when he went to bed. Thieves used some sort of long net, put it between the burglar bars and took both. They could have stolen his car, but didnt - just took the cash from the wallet. Keep your important stuff in your bedroom when you are asleep.

3. Michael Schumacher was gassed in his Monaco apartment some years ago. It is possible and it does happen. Not saying it happens here, but it sure does happen.

As previous poster said, robbery is when you are put in fear. A handbag snatch is 'theft from person' whilst if someone walks up and says 'give me your <deleted>##ing bag" then it's robbery.

Theft from a house is termed burglary in the UK as long as the thief enters as a trespasser. If its someone who nicked something whilst at (say) a party you threw, then it's a theft.

Burglary also includes 'uttering an instrument into the house' so even if i stood outside your fenceline and used a long fishing pole with net on it, that would still make me a burglar - even though i didnt trespass on your property.

It's pedantic anyway as it differs from country to country.

Exactly. And who really cares whether they have technically been robbed, burgled, surely the point is that they by whichever way have lost their valuables, I also lock the doors if I cannot see them where I happen to be at any given time.

What I would really like to know is just how many of us are being illegally deprived of our goods in any form, reading this post there does not seem to be that many people being deprived of their goods and what are the % between Thais and Farangs who are usually deemed by the locals to be LOADED.

A couple of years ago somebody broke into my house at night, in Rawai. I had 2 dogs, both of whom only woke up when the burglars were leaving!

It was opportunistic, a window had been left open with only a screen barring entry. The burglars unscrewed the screen to gain entry whilst the dogs snored happily! Only cash and phones were taken.

I too have heard stories of farangs being gassed whilst they were asleep, but took it with a pinch of salt. Have to agree with previous posters, where on earth do these (presumably) uneducated, destitute burglars get this sophisticated gas that knocks the occupants out without killing them?

M. Schumacher may have been gassed, but I've no doubt professional burglars were involved bearing in mind that he is worth millions and will have had first class security. It's a slightly different story here!

• 4 weeks later...

Good information, and always useful gaining knowledge of local criminal activities/methods. What really struck a cord with me was a previous post that mentioned that now low (Summer???) season is with us, coupled with the severe downturn in the tourist/visitor industry to make it even lower than normal, there's likely to be more than a few local people with a less than adequate source of income. Logic dictates that higher than normal vigilance needs to be taken with personal/property security. Is there a potential forum here for sharing tips/experiences?