the pros, cons/risks of keeping weapons for self protection

loong

Many of you have suggested moving, funny thing is, if we moved somewhere else, it'd probably be to somewhere that lowlifes like this operate the whole year round. At least in a small village, we know who the scum are. Usually, they are opportunist thieves who will grab a telephone if left lying in easy reach.

My gf doesn't want to move away from her home and I don't really like city life too much.

We have 3 dogs and they kick up a fuss if anyone comes near.

Exactly !

You know I hate to be the bearer of bad news but....In all the financial crisis posts they same the same thing.....The crisis may not be as bad for TL because folks can just go home to the farm & eat rice. I think that is total Baloney,

Yes many will go home to the village like you see for Songkran but it will not be an ideal life when the populations of small villages triple or more in size. Also I doubt all the city dwellers have a village to go to really. Look at the size of the pop in Chiang Mai alone....then look at places like BK

What I am saying here is this kind of thing could increase soon enough everywhere. So it is good to think about it a bit now while you can.

Your best bet is like you say stay put where you & your wife have some support

But remember this, no matter what anyone says about legality it is easier for you to get your wife out of a police station than a morgue. Same goes for her retrieving you.

When its a matter of life & death who is wondering if your gong to get in trouble if you save yours or your wifes life? Really?? Who??

The three dogs are a excellent form of early warning.Just remember that is what they are early *warning* unless they are attack type dogs. Which wold be more dangerous for your child than a gun in the house. Dogs barking + some flood lights make a great early warning.

Lastly forget all the gun in the house liabilty stories. A gun in a house with a chid is no more dangerous than many other things in a house. You need to educate all in your house about these things including children period.

Edited by flying

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They will poison the dogs before entering, my 2 were, and so were other people's that were burgled around the same time. As for those that say they would use cameras, electric fences etc are living in dreamland. Most, if not all, properties have the electric meter on the outside of the property. It's very easy to disconnect a wire.

I've wrote this before on other threads but I will repeat it. After being burgled my wife was a nervous wreck. A local police office came and gave me a 9mm gun, no paperwork etc. I asked "what if I was to shoot someone with it ?" IE, a burglar. His reply was "1500 Baht will sort it out".

As for repocussions from Thais regarding loss of face, and returning to seek vengance at a later date, I think, is pure hog wash. If the Thais are like that then my next door neighbour would do it as he's a bit unstable, from local accounts. One night there was a commotion outside his property, with women and kids screaming. I went to look and he was physically attacking his wife with a machette. Nobody was doing anything, so I disarmed him. I managed to calm him down and his wife ran off to hospital for treatment. She was back living the normal life, with him, the next day. Six months later the guy still walks past me as if the episode never happened.

During the assault not one Thai man was in the audience, just women. They're basically cowards without a drink. I've also seen farang physically kick a thai man up the arse in front of many other Thais. Did he lose face ? Yes. Did he return later to seek revenge ? No.

Farangs do not be scared of Thai men based on a belief that they will seek revenge.

I was under the impression that a non Thai cannot own a gun. As for shooting an intruder in your wife's house, I would think that totally illegal.

I think you'd be in deep sh^t.

A farang can not legally own a gun, but his wife can. You might have to go to court for shooting an intruder, but wouldn't you rather face a judge who knows that you were protecting yourself with a legal weapon that "happened" to be in the house, instead of facing a gang of armed cold-blooded killers who are trying to get into your house even though they know that there are people inside?

You would be legal up to the point where someone was trying to harm you and your family and then the decision should not be all that difficult.

If your wife says you/she needs a gun then you do.

She goes to the local town hall and gets a "permit to buy" a gun, she will need to agree with the mayor what sort of gun she can buy. Take the permit to the gun shop (in Bkk is best and cheapest), buy the gun, take it back to the town hall where it will be registered, pay about Bt500 and get the license to own the gun.

Normally it is licensed only to be in the house, although she had special dispensation to carry it.

Edited by pnustedt

A farang can not legally own a gun, but his wife can. You might have to go to court for shooting an intruder, but wouldn't you rather face a judge who knows that you were protecting yourself with a legal weapon that "happened" to be in the house, instead of facing a gang of armed cold-blooded killers who are trying to get into your house even though they know that there are people inside?

You would be legal up to the point where someone was trying to harm you and your family and then the decision should not be all that difficult.

If you shot someone you just say the wife did it. Job done, no comeback.

Get a gun that has a trigger lock and keep it in a locked case and be extremely careful with both keys.

that could develop into an interesting scenario:

-gimme all your money Farang or else!

-please Khun Low-Life gimme some time... WIFEY! where do you keep the keys for the gun case?

Im letting this run for now, but perhaps a change of topc title is needed.

OP, do you want to PM me with suggested change that will capture the essence of advice needed, but one that does not portray sensationalising the issue?

cheers

Get a gun that has a trigger lock and keep it in a locked case and be extremely careful with both keys.

-please Khun Low-Life gimme some time... WIFEY! where do you keep the keys for the gun case?

Exactly why I say educate those in the house. I agree that a weapon designated as home defense must be readily available for use.

Edited by flying

Were not talking hollywood here,rambo,dirty harry etc.Everyone should get a reality check,owning and using a gun to protect the family could lead to some very bad consequences e.g. deaths,imprisonment.I too would like to own and use a gun to shoot some bastards but the reality is i would come off worse,and so would the OP.

During the assault not one Thai man was in the audience, just women. They're basically cowards without a drink. I've also seen farang physically kick a thai man up the arse in front of many other Thais. Did he lose face ? Yes. Did he return later to seek revenge ? No.

Farangs do not be scared of Thai men based on a belief that they will seek revenge.

Offensive generalization & patently stupid.

If you shot someone you just say the wife did it. Job done, no comeback.

In light of this comment, it makes your remark about Thai men's bravery laughable. Reveals you for what you are.

Brave little man hiding behind a women. :o:D :D

Is your wife friendly with the local head man? Maybe he could have a word with the thugs? :o

The thugs are the sons of the Head man's cousin, he already knows what they are like.

The problem is that there is never any hard proof, so nothing can be done.

The family was very poor, 2 years ago one of the boys came to the house wanting to sell a chicken. I can't remember why, maybe she had no small money, but she came to get the money from me and left him at the house. Later she realised that her telephone was missing. It was obvious that he had taken it, but no proof. The police weren't interested and the family actually tried to get compensation for defamation. The Head man wouldn't agree to that, he was sure that the boy was the culprit, but as I say no real proof.

A long time after that, I tried to phone my gf using VOIP, but it was her old number and guess who answered? He'd sold the phone, but kept the Sim!

These 2 have never been known to be violent, just sneak thieves. Last time they were in the village the local shopkeeper went to use the bathroom and when she came back, her cash drawer had been emptied. Luckily, only about 1000 Baht. She had some reason to suspect these lads, but again no proof.

With what happened yesterday, you probably all know how difficult it is to get the whole story, and stories often change a little in the telling. From what I can gather, it was just after getting dark and this woman was on her motorbike either travelling very slowly or stopped. I think that, like I see so often, ladies will put their hand/shoulder bag in the little basket at the front. They probably just intended to grab the bag and run, but she resisted. The husband in his car came on the scene, took his gun and fired shots. Possibly he only fired into the air, I don't know. The 2 ran away and he followed into the village. He was very angry and wanted to know who had just run by. Of course he was waving a gun about and nobody was going to tell him, nobody wanted an angry man with a gun firing shots in the village.

I have no reason to believe that the people here will suddenly arm themselves and launch an attack on our house. They would be recognised, after all.

On 2 occasions I have had to physically (using gentle force) remove men from the premises, drunk and being a nuisance. There has not been any comeback and believe me, one of them would probably be able to make mincemeat of me if he wanted to.

If my Gf is serious about getting a gun, then I will probably allow it, but it will be securely locked away. I know a lot of you have said that doesn't make sense as there would not be time to unlock and acess the gun. This maybe true, but I'm sorry to say that I see so many cases of carelessness with knives, machetes etc, that an easily accessable loaded gun would be asking for trouble.

I will wait and see if she mentions it again.

They will poison the dogs before entering, my 2 were, and so were other people's that were burgled around the same time. ...............

Coventry, I'd be interested to know where you live. Seems that there is a lot of crime in your area. Do you live in a town, do other Farang live nearby?

I ask this because many posters have suggested that I should move away from here, but where should I move to? Somewhere similar to where you live?

if you're gonna be dumb enough to raise your child in a shithole while you have the means to give him a real life and education, at least buy a flame thrower to protect him in this dangerous place?

unless you are a teacher this shouldnt be hard to do

I've similar problem with the OP. We have an isolated house (closest neighbour is at around 5km) and lately we heard of burglary in the nearby village. There are a lot of property development in our area, which means a lot of imported workers and they are the ones who create the trouble.

I don't believe a gun is the real solution but she insists she will feel safer if we have one. I agreed (no real choice, I don't want to come home and discover some smuggled gun bring by some "friends") but I insisted she gets proper training first. Does anybody know where one can get some basic training near Bangkok or Korat ?

A lot of talking about "being prepared to shoot someone".

I think i would find it a lot harder to bring myself to cut someone up with a machete than pull a trigger. Both physically and psychologically.

For me preparedness to use would go:

1) Baseball bat

2) Gun

3) Knife

I guess i'm just too squeamish for a knife.

Extreme violence without prejudice is nothing for the many highly trained ex SAS, CIA, FBI members of this board.

Personally, I'm so terrified living in Thailand I keep a pride of lions in my bedroom.

Edited by Maigo6

I'm sorry if this breaks forum rules, but I hope that the moderators will allow this thread to stay open. I ask posters to refrain from being flippant as this is a serious subject.

The last few days people have started to return to the village, Songkran is coming up and that's to be expected. Some of these people are ok, but some are the dregs of society, when they've been in the village, a lot of things go missing, they don't earn a living by working, but by stealing or scamming. There's not so many rich pickings in the tourist areas and they are back here now.

A main road runs very close to the village and recently people on motorbikes have been stopped and robbed. Today a lady was riding her motorbike home and her husband was following in their car. Two men stopped the motorbike and tried to rob the woman. Her husband in the car behind had a gun. He stopped and his wife ran back to him. When his wife was out of the way, he let off 3 shots but missed. The 2 men ran and he followed to our village. Everybody here knows who the men are (about 19 years old), but they will not tell the man, because he will kill them for sure.

We sleep with a super sharp machete in the room because my lady is scared of some of the people in the village. I'm ok with that as long as it is out of reach of the 3 year old daughter.

After this happened today, she has announced that she wants to get a gun!

I understand her fears, I am the only Farang in the village and an obvious target. But I really don't want to have a gun in the house. It would be an accident waiting to happen.

Has anybody else had experience of this?

Yep, get a safe which you can open rapido, get the wife to scootle on down to the police station to source a firearm.

Go with her, learn to shoot it, strip it, clean it.

Practice once a month down the local police range so you can hit something with it.

Keep in the safe, hope and pray it'll stay there during other times.

Keep pepper spray handy in case you've not got time to dive over to the safe and get it :D

And for gawds sake don't even let your child look at the thing until the age of 10 or 11. :o

Exactly why I say educate those in the house. I agree that a weapon designated as home defense must be readily available for use.

Ready and available for use is ready and available for an accident.

Are we discussing the same safe, peaceful, friendly Thailand that is the subject of other posts - If so why this need for guns?

If you feel you need to have a gun you should probably be moving house.

Where can you buy decent guns in bangkok? I want a pistol, how much would a semi decent one cost???

I got the colt and it looks so old that the intruder would piss himself laughing.

It works but I would like to look like one of the blokes in the movie with a cool gun, im im going to go down, I would rather go down in a bit of style

loong - sorry to hear about the troubles in your village. I used to live in a remote Issan village where I was the only farang. These were the happiest times in my life. Everybody was friendly. A few of the local boys (18-21yo) used to make home-made guns and try them out at night (especially after a few drinks) but they did so a long way from houses and people.

Peter

Coventry, I'd be interested to know where you live. Seems that there is a lot of crime in your area. Do you live in a town, do other Farang live nearby?

I ask this because many posters have suggested that I should move away from here, but where should I move to? Somewhere similar to where you live?

I live 100km SE of Korat.

LooseCannon. If you think my post " Offensive generalisation " then report it instead of moaning about it. Nobody else seems to take offence with it. In generalising I'm refering to the majority where I live. If the people where you live are different then obviously you live in an oasis in Thailand. Probably Patataya, Bangkok or Phuket where people don't get robbed and every one abides with the law. Perhaps 'loong' needs to move to where you live ?

<deleted> you don't need a Gun, surely things haven't got that bad. Keep some Dogs and plenty of instruments that can be dual use. Machette useful for the garden, and a nice Axe for chopping wood. Keep as many as you want Under the bed, in the closet, under your pillow, Useful as a last resort but not a Gun. My wifes uncle is the only Guy I know who has one. he's got a small revolver , used to get it out when he and his son were pissed up. very frightening situation. He left the Gun at our house one day when he had to take his son to hospital (not a gun related injury) . He just matter of factly pulled out the revolver. removed the bullets and handed it over for our safe keeping. I was glad when he came and collected it the next day.

<deleted> you don't need a Gun, surely things haven't got that bad. Keep some Dogs and plenty of instruments that can be dual use. Machette useful for the garden, and a nice Axe for chopping wood. Keep as many as you want Under the bed, in the closet, under your pillow, Useful as a last resort but not a Gun. My wifes uncle is the only Guy I know who has one. he's got a small revolver , used to get it out when he and his son were pissed up. very frightening situation. He left the Gun at our house one day when he had to take his son to hospital (not a gun related injury) . He just matter of factly pulled out the revolver. removed the bullets and handed it over for our safe keeping. I was glad when he came and collected it the next day.
Say that at 2:30 in the morning with a guy walking round your bedroom. You can be sure that the guy will be armed with a gun. If you read the previous posts you will know that they poison the dogs prior to entry.

if you're gonna be dumb enough to raise your child in a shithole while you have the means to give him a real life and education, at least buy a flame thrower to protect him in this dangerous place?

My gf's daughter does have a real life, she's more than happy in this "sh**hole"

You have no idea what my means are.

I really wanted to know about other people's thoughts and/or experiences of keeping a gun in the house. I don't really need criticism about where my gf and I want to live, just because it doesn't meet with other people's ideals.

I don't believe that it is more dangerous here than anywhere else in Thailand. From when I first came to Thailand about 10 years ago, I have spent the equivalent of about 7 years in Thailand and of that, about 6 years village life. I have never been assaulted in a village, but attacked twice in Pattaya and 1 attempt by a pickpocket.

Say that at 2:30 in the morning with a guy walking round your bedroom. You can be sure that the guy will be armed with a gun. If you read the previous posts you will know that they poison the dogs prior to entry.

yeah we know they poison the Dogs, I can't help thinking the dogs would atleast bark and so alert us. I don't see myself as a victim or a target. We have the usual wrought iron on the windows and doors and can't see anyone getting in without making a noise. I don't think armed robbery of Farang Houses is very common here though just yet. I suspect they'd want to rob you when you were out. The sentance does fit the crime here in Thailand and above all they don't want to be identified or caught.

Where can you buy decent guns in bangkok? I want a pistol, how much would a semi decent one cost???

There's an area in Bkk near the junction of Charoenkrung Road and Unakan Road. I bought a nice Smith&Wesson .38 in stainless steel there for about Bt90K. Slugs are Bt40 each there (Bt60 ea. in my home town). I understand a large part of the price is tax, much of which goes to your local town hall.

I'm beginning to see the sense in getting a gun...Toting a Gun - Short Cut to 24 Hour Police Protection

I know the Thai law the BiB come in for a lot of flack but they've got my support on the No Guns for Foreigners thing. The last thing Thailand needs is armed redneck loosers.

You know your probably right, I have met some miserable foreigners here and I have only lived here for 2 months. There constant moaning about how much they hate Thai's and Thailand and armed with a gun could turn ugly.

But I still wants a new gun

Are we discussing the same safe, peaceful, friendly Thailand that is the subject of other posts - If so why this need for guns?

If you feel you need to have a gun you should probably be moving house.

So many foreigners are killed when waking up during break-ins that it could be considered a special situation. If you - and your whole family - are willing to pretend to be asleep while a robber searches the place, you might have a better chance to not get badly hurt, but if they find a safe or think that you might have cash somewhere, they are going to wake you up. :o