Which Chiang Mai Venue Do You Miss The Most?

Scrubber

and of course Daniel's Bar - one of the first bars on Loi Kroh. Peter the Brit - a good friend of mine - drank himself to death,

I daresay that Peter was greatly encouraged to drink himself to death by his partner who, in my humble opinion, was an accessory in/to his death. Peter was not the first Farang bar owner to be slowly led to a premature demise. Chiang Mai is no IOasis for hapless bar owners.

I used to like the American resturaunt on thapae road... the waitress was nice and the coleslaw with garlic bread a snip....

and what was that pub run by the Irish gent near the prince Hotel...the cookie moved to the Overlander and is still there...

Edited by fabianfred

and what was that pub run by the Irish gent near the prince Hotel...the cookie moved to the Overlander and is still there...

The Escape. Eddie was the Irish gent bloke that owned it originally.

The Overlander has been the Maddog for a long time and is now a successful business unlike in previous days under the former owners and name. Yes Cookie is still there as is Kai, also from the Escape.

At least there are a few old timers that remember the real old places.

My Place and Karen Hut were amoungst my regulars in the early to mid 1980' along with The Pub under Nigel and Darunee who then sold to Peter Bachman and Nai. It's changed hands a dozen times since then but at least it's still going.

Fun days with not too many wangkers hanging around back then. Times change.

I'll get my coat . . . :o

JxP

Well I can only go back a dozen or so years

When I first came here on the corner of one of the soi's on the moat there used to be a little stall selling Thai Medicine Whiskey each bottle labelled 1 to 10 and each for a different ailment. I quiet often had the aphrodisiac whiskey before a night out on the town, though I would probably have more use for it now than then :o

So many place come and go I could write a list as long as my arm but other worthy mentions would be..

Elizabethan Rooms

The Escape

Laugthing Leprechaun

Black Cat

The original Blue Sky Garden & Blue Sky Bar.....countless others I could name and then lots I've forgotten the name of.

countless others I could name and then lots I've forgotten the name of.

There are places I remember

All my life, though some have changed

Some forever not for better

Some have gone and some remain

All these places had their moments

With lovers and friends

I still can recall

Some are dead and some are living

In my life I've loved them all

I remember the old Warm Up as well. It is now Arcobelno the Italian restaurant. I used to love walking across the dance floor to the drinking area at the rear - always packed with young, beautiful, slim and super sexy Thai women. Real Thai women.

There was a slapper-bar area where the D2 car park is now; opposite Foxy Lady. I had some great fun with some of the working girls around there. They seemed more friendly and less mercenary than the other bar-beer areas. We used to have a couple of shots of lao kaow from the guy just around the corner from the bars which would set us up well for an evening of fun and games.

Also, I enjoyed Stairway to Heaven when it had the bar upstairs and girls 'performing'. The American owner was a bit of a perv but he created a great place for a few hours of sexy fun.

Another was the Bunny Club when it first opened and before the police murdered the German owner and took it over.

"I enjoyed Stairway to Heaven when it had the bar upstairs and girls 'performing'. The American owner was a bit of a perv"

I would say he was an out and out nut case myself.

I did though see a few of the best all in female rumbles in there and the owner Larry just sat and watched. Any of the patrons could have sustained a serious injury (collateral damage)

But hey!! who's talking about the "good old days" and Stairway to Heaven in the same breath.

Good old days '6 - 7' years ago. :o

Edited by john b good

Was it Easy bar?

Yes.

Run by his wife Bua and now her daughter.

The majority of the demimodaines hail from Sukhothai. If you happen to be in the bar when they come from the bus station you could be lucky and find yourself a nice little flower before she becomes spoiled (or soiled)

Most of the girls live upstairs.

Edited by john b good

The Rim Ping supermarket near the Novotel Hotel.

OK, have a laugh, but who said this thread has to be about nightlife?

The Novotel off Chang Puek has changed hands recently. The Rim Ping closed a couple years ago and was bought by Tops. They reopened, but it isn't the same supermarket.

There is more to Chiang Mai than bars, burgers and bargirls!

Who you kidding Nance :o

The Escape. Eddie was the Irish gent bloke that owned it originally.

The Overlander has been the Maddog for a long time and is now a successful business unlike in previous days under the former owners and name. Yes Cookie is still there as is Kai, also from the Escape.

Allan kept rabbits in a cage behind the bar. He was gonna have the best rabbit pie in the north of Thailand (maybe in all the realm) Leastaways that's what he thought.

He also built a couple of tandem bicycles and was trying to get some of us to test ride them around the old city.

'Noi' was bought out on a regular basis.

'Daa' had a little turn in her eye which made her all that much more appealing. She was supporting herself, her lazy good for nothing father, her uncle, and her sister who had a kid from a waste of space of space village layabout.

Then there was one who was the image of the original Suzie Wong, her name escapes me :o

Sat beside Allan on a flight to Singapore. I thought they were gonna turn the plane around as he was grabbing all the Boeing bimbo's bums.

He also had the cutest daughter 'Amy' (well she was back then) probably got a couple of her own now.

Allan had a partner Tom (a kiwi) who was liquidated by someone (s) in the sticks of norther Thailand.

Where are they now (the girls) might be a good thread :D

Edited by john b good

One of my buddies was in "love" with Noi and would pitch a fit every time he went into the Overlander and she was with another customer. He would sit there and would not leave until the other guy did or she accompanied him to his sleazy little room.

Another buddy had a thing for Daa, but she was too clever for him and never fell into his trap. She was supposedly married to a Tuk-Tuk driver who who would drive her to many of her dates.

There was a really hot, dark skinned girl and another who won the Miss Borsang (?) beauty contest (the village where the most beautiful girls in the North were supposed to come from according to the Lonely planet).

One of my buddies was in "love" with Noi and would pitch a fit every time he went into the Overlander and she was with another customer. He would sit there and would not leave until the other guy did or she accompanied him to his sleazy little room.

Another buddy had a thing for Daa, but she was too clever for him and never fell into his trap. She was supposedly married to a Tuk-Tuk driver who who would drive her to many of her dates.

There was a really hot, dark skinned girl and another who won the Miss Borsang (?) beauty contest (the village where the most beautiful girls in the North were supposed to come from according to the Lonely planet).

Anybody remember Papa Dicks ????

The original and subsequent locations ??

phil

Anybody remember Papa Dicks ????

The original and subsequent locations ??

phil

He passed away many years ago now.

I'm trying to recall the original place to no avail. The last location was on the street running from Chang Puek Road to Santitham. There was a gay joint next door and the employees there didn't appreciate non customers parking in front of their place.

The Rim Ping supermarket near the Novotel Hotel.

OK, have a laugh, but who said this thread has to be about nightlife?

The Novotel off Chang Puek has changed hands recently. The Rim Ping closed a couple years ago and was bought by Tops. They reopened, but it isn't the same supermarket.

There is more to Chiang Mai than bars, burgers and bargirls!

The hotel didn't change hands, Novotel and Mecure are both operated by Accor. It was re branded Mecure effectively taking it from 4 star to 3 star...cheaper than the major refurbishment that would have been needed to maintain 4 star grading.

We have stayed a couple of times in the last six months, got some great deals.