100b Fine For Speeding When I Wasn´t

There I was, cruising at a strict 80kph (economical) for mile after mile. Policeman waves me over, says 110kph is too fast - the usual b******s, 100b so I don´t have to produce documents etc. Wife calmed me down, said policeman needs money to buy a round of drinks or something.

This gets a bit tedious, like some gang member demanding a toll when you walk across his manor, or an 18th century highwayman doing more or less the same thing. I know it´s only 2 quid, but the principle still gets on my ****.

The vast majority of the Thai population find this practice of the police force leaching off the general populace quite acceptable.

The vast majority of Thai's dont find it acceptable, its just they cant really do much about it.

Also the police are forced to do this as they get paid peanuts.

There I was, cruising at a strict 80kph (economical) for mile after mile. Policeman waves me over, says 110kph is too fast - the usual b******s, 100b so I don´t have to produce documents etc. Wife calmed me down, said policeman needs money to buy a round of drinks or something.

This gets a bit tedious, like some gang member demanding a toll when you walk across his manor, or an 18th century highwayman doing more or less the same thing. I know it´s only 2 quid, but the principle still gets on my ****.

Just think about the times you WERE speeding and didn't get caught. The last time I was on the highway, I was doing about 100 but there were cars passing me. Over the next hill the cops were pulling them over. Amazingly they waved me past.

Interestingly they've never tried to get me on speeding; but I do live in Nakhon Nowhere and am very guilty of considering speed limits as mere suggestions. They've busted me a couple of times for being in the 'wrong' lane, and considering what I do get away with I don't consider myself in any position to argue. The allowed stuff would have most of us with out a liscense back in the West if not in jail......

• 4 weeks later...

A female journalist campaigned against this sort of thing - basically - if the Thai populace stops paying the entire country's system of tea-money and nepotism from top to bottom will collapse. - Where is she now - dead or in prison?? - I don't know but she got a lot of stick for standing up.

Shrugging your shoulders and "saying what can I do?" is simply no excuse.

I think it is symptomatic of the whole political situation in this country that the basic organs of democracy do not function properly.

A female journalist campaigned against this sort of thing - basically - if the Thai populace stops paying the entire country's system of tea-money and nepotism from top to bottom will collapse. - Where is she now - dead or in prison?? - I don't know but she got a lot of stick for standing up.

I think it is symptomatic of the whole political situation in this country that the basic organs of democracy do not function properly.

Hey TV Monitor, so what do you suggest one should do when in this situation? Since shrugging shoulders for you is no excuse

Hak

WOW fined 2 GB pounds for allegedly speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the UK you woukld be faced with a MINIMUM of 3000 baht and points on your license and more if you haver the temerity to challenge the robbing bast%%ds

2 pounds and you are up in arms JEEZ get a life or move to another country as this is going to happen time after time.

Either that or speed up and at least you are getting something for your money :o

Count yourself lucky, I had to fork over B500. You and your wife must be much better looking than me and my girl! :D

But, on the plus side he did give me excellent directions on where I wanted to go with a hand-drawn map to boot! Try getting that type of service in the West? :o

A friend in the Thai police force once told me that if you see a single police officer waving you over to the side of the road to not even think about stopping as he is just out to make money.

Legitimate stops are always manned by groups of BIB.

Kinda a normal thing here in LOS, not a hold lot we farangs can do about it, just grin and bear it. I would also suggest carrying a pack or two of cigarettes, plus two twenty baht notes. I think it is a disgrace that the cops are paid so little that have to do this kind of thing, but if a little 100 baht donate will help make his day then I say what the heck and be on my way. :o:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey TV Monitor, so what do you suggest one should do when in this situation? Since shrugging shoulders for you is no excuse

Hak

You I wouldn't suggest anything - I don't know you. Me, I've negotiated down from 1000 to zero. I would suggest that if you decide to make a political protest that you have the weight of public support behind you before you make a stand. Even so you may be assassinated. - up to you.

If Thailand wants ever to be a successful country it will have to get rid of this behaviour. @ decades ago this is what the FT predicted but they overlooked the burden placed on an economy that has to support corruption from the ground up.

Edited by TVmonitor

A friend in the Thai police force once told me that if you see a single police officer waving you over to the side of the road to not even think about stopping as he is just out to make money.

Legitimate stops are always manned by groups of BIB.

My students do the same.

I dont stop for single cops with sunglasses and paper covered mouth any more. They used to say I was speeding and I asked how fast. When they replyed 130 km/h at 500 baht I knew they didnt have a clue, because my cruisecontrol is normally at 160. When a bunch of BiBs pull me over and say 158 or 162, I confess and pay my 200 baht with reciept. Life in Paradise :)

How did you manage to get the Thai price?

Farang price is usually 200 Baht++

Every proper speed check is with radar or laser and 10-20 BiB. One or two clerks writing and collecting fines. Never been asked more than 200 in these checks. Ive saved some fines as I find it amusing to have carte blanche to cruise 160 the rest of the day.

I dont stop for single cops with sunglasses and paper covered mouth any more. They used to say I was speeding and I asked how fast. When they replyed 130 km/h at 500 baht I knew they didnt have a clue, because my cruisecontrol is normally at 160. When a bunch of BiBs pull me over and say 158 or 162, I confess and pay my 200 baht with reciept. Life in Paradise :)

Yup. I got stopped on my way back from Chiang Mai some time ago- he said i was going 120 kmh, when I was actually going considerably faster than that! Paid the 200 THB with a smile and went on my way.

Anyone suggest speaking in English or Thai?

Wife should speak, or I? (I can stay calm.....)

What's best?

An offender in LOS should not speak at all. Only say "kap" if you understand what he is saying, and "kap" again when he asks if you are guilty and want to pay 200 baht.

If Thai wife (or any Thai) is in the car, you have no choice. The cop will talk to them, and ignore you. They will expect the Thai to translate for you, since after all, they must speak English if they are with you in the first place.

If you are alone, don't understand a word he says!

If Thai wife (or any Thai) is in the car, you have no choice. The cop will talk to them, and ignore you. They will expect the Thai to translate for you, since after all, they must speak English if they are with you in the first place.

If you are alone, don't understand a word he says!

She s sleeping :) and I open drivers window. saves money :D