Divorce With One Party "in Absentia"

Penkoprod

OK, a dear, dear friend of mine who i have known for some time now has finally found someone who is so smitten with her, that she thinks its the "real deal" between them.

However, in the past, she has "kissed too many frogs" hoping they turned into handsome princes.......to the point of her LAST long relationship being one of a Thai marriage (with a farang)

This led to a pregnancy, and birth of a boy some 10 years ago now. The farang, however, and for whatever reason, couldnt "hack it" so took off and left her 8 1/2 months pregnant and disappeared without trace, never to be seen of, or heard of since.

This is now causing her a bit of a problem, as, while this new guy knows about her past, and all that might entail, she has asked around a few places about getting a divorce from estranged "husband" in his absence, and been told the price of a lawyer doing this kind of work ranges from 20,000-25,000 plus expenses(?). This seems INCREDIBLY high to me, for something that seems so simple to do. She dont want to screw anything up this time. He seems a pretty straight up guy, but one who wouldnt take too kindly to being "gold-dug" if you get my drift.

Anyone got any idea of the complexities involved?

Penkoprod