Two New(old) Bikes From Tiger Motorcycles. What Ya Think?

thaicbr

What do you think?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi :o

So, i just got back from the Motor Show. It's just around the corner from where i live, but i waited for today as my boyfriend's nephew is on visit and we went all together.

Of course i was all over that Tiger Retro - it is indeed a copy of a Super Cub, so perfect in fact that i believe every part from an original Super Cub will slot right in, including the engine.

HOWEVER sadly i have to say - while the newer Boxers and the TT 150 (specially that one!) are of very good build quality, same can NOT be said of the Retro. I truly inspected every bolt and nut on it, i was flat on the floor to see it from below etc, some people must have thought "what's that crazy Farang doing there".... i don't care, i needed to see it up close.

And, i really regret having to say it, this bike looks like thrown together by a bunch of kids, using parts grabbed from a number of old boxes in the basement. Seriously.

The Thai-typical disease of "screw a nut onto a bolt which holds painted parts, but prevent at all cost to use any washers" makes for numerous places where the paint is gone down to the bare metal - this will rust within days, latest after the first rain. Many bolts are not straight, easy to see that the treads of the part behind didn't match the hole - also a number of bolyts are quite obviously not tightened at all, they look like just stuck in there and no nut or tread behind that holds them in place.

The hand brake lever is of the same type (and same stability!) as those on children's bicycles - and also the same (tiny!) size! I really would not want to be in a situation that i really need the front brake. The nipple of the front brake cable is a number smaller than the hole in the lever - there is no spacer used, if one is to pull that lever with force (such as in an emergency) either the lever will bend or the cable nipple will slip out, rendering the front brake useless. And the brake mechanism on the front itself looks outright dangerous - an outer spring (!) which will not only rust very quickly but also looks about as "tough" as the one inside a ball pen.

The body of the bike looks ok, however numerous welds are again of the type "quick-quick-cheap-cheap" - with holes in the seams even. The paint job is partly horrible as well with craters in the paint as if there were drops of water on the surface while it was painted.

Don't get me wrong guys, i am not ranting against Tiger - but with this particular bike they need to do some serious homework before letting it loose on the buying public, otherwise it will knock their image right back into the basement. The TT 150 is like solid gold against the poor Retro - none of the Retro's flaws are visible on that one!

If the Retro is really being sold exactly like the one that's standing at the Motor Show, my advice to any potential buyer: Remove every single bolt and screw that goes through a painted surface, re-paint the area where it passes through and re-insert it but add a washer! Replace the front brake lever with an after-market product or one from a different manufacturer, also the brake cable! And have a bike shop modify the brake itself to have an internal spring instead of the external one.

I really like the bike, and i swear if i had the dosh i would buy it regardless (none of the flaws are of a nature that i couldn't fix myself). If you want a Super Cub, this is it.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

post-13387-1238860356_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1238860397_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1238860418_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1238860439_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1238860457_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1238860479_thumb.jpg

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanh, could they have just thrown that bike together at the last minute-specifically for the show? I understand that isn't a good idea, but there was NO rumblings of anything like this; perhaps they decided to put it together to guage reception of the public to the idea.

I was thinking that, too.... but then, i have seen the same issues so many times (specially the strict following of the "no washers under any circumstances" rule) when it comes to Thai craftsmanship.... various bicycles, car repairs, motorbikes etc. If they had just a "quick slap-together show bike" to judge the public reception then they should not have allowed such close access. Maybe the points i complained about are not something the average (Thai) buyer would care for, however when due to those shortcomings the bike starts rusting or losing parts after a very short time then a prejudice would have a verification - i.e. "Tiger is cr@p" as many say without having ever tested one.

Also, what wonders me, will they change the design of the leg shield for the production bikes? As it is obvious that this is a 1:1 copy of a Super Cub - the space in the leg shield matching the Super Cub's original engine shape, however Tiger's engine has a different shape which makes it look a little strange :D

Could Tiger have purchased Honda's old machines/tools that were used to make the Super Cub, or how can they make such a perfect clone??

Kind regards....

Thanh

Thanh you make some good points. I did not look as closely as you, due to the fact i was to busy looking closely at the lovely lady sat on top :D:o . I think that it is true to say that they decided on both the tt150 and the Retro fairly late in the day for the motor show, both were only completed on the Saturday morning before the show and yes on several bikes there were loose bolts etc. I did notice a couple of sharp edges on the Retro etc, i pointed them out to Pariya and then was told that this is the prototype as in the made for the show. It is a copy of the super cub type bike, did Kawasaki make a super cub type bike because this could be it. I think any issues that Tiger are made aware of will be fixed. They are only a fairly small company and do need to increase the quality control, but that comes with feedback which Thai people do not really do.

Thanh is it ok if i forward your comments to Khun Pariya at Tiger?

Allan

Yes of course it is ok to do so. I am genuinely interested in the bike, however i can't afford it as i am pretty much broke right now. As i said (i kid you not) if i had the money i would have ordered one right there. The flaws i observed are fixable by myself so i wouldn't mind it, however i'm a mechanic while the normal buyer probably is not......

Given the choice between a genuine Honda Super Cub with questionable past and plenty non-original parts for 25k or a brand-new Tiger "Super Cub" for just 5k more it's not really a difficult decision to make :D

My main concern is the front brake, the rest is purely cosmetic and easily fixed.

Oh, and a question out of curiousity - even the speedometer is a clone of the Super Cub's, reaching only to 100 km/h. But the Retro has a 110cc engine as opposed to Honda's 50cc. How fast can the Retro go? As it should have a bit more "oomph" than the Honda...... of course i am aware that this is not a racing bike, and if i had one i wouldn't want to race it (this is for stylish cruising!) but i am curious nevertheless.

Kind regards......

Thanh

first

hi Thanh-BKK,

I think you made a good decision if you like retro style. The tiger retro workmanship is even better in my eyes compared to the HONDA .

second

their must be at least one active dealer in CM as Tiger sold already 4 - 5 Tiger Boxers 250 Rs this year in Chiang Mai

third.

I agree with allan at least tiger is doing something else on the Thai bike market and they are listening to our comments too. hence my complains about the speedo and Allans reactions on the seat(it still can be better but tiger is doing something and have the feeling they are serious to make it this time ) .

I spoke to Zongshens manager (their bikes are looking great) to bring at least 250 cc bikes on the market he replied me there is no market here . I told him look what tiger is doing with slow but steady success. To no avail.

I should say stupid manager coz zongshen has already 250 cc bikes ....

fourth E-boxer

I had the opportunity to speak with Martin Guarra the american engineer for the e-boxer. He confirmed that the E-boxer will be capable to cover 1500 km at once with a max speed of 140 - 150 km/h . This bike should be ready by next year. recharge time only 1.5 hrs market price around 300000baht with a yearly electricity cost of 2000 bht on the long run your the winner .They sold already about 70 units in The States and one is about to be delivered in Norway .Other european countries are considering it seriously . Just some modifications must be done to be confirm with the EC standards.

He also told me that the e-boxer will enter drag races in the states and confirmed it with pictures. The max speed of this E-bike should be around 320 km/h

Anyone can confirm this ....????????

My opinion is.Great from Tiger to dare this, they are only a very small manufacturer with little budgets to design something new but they are bringing a new wind into the Thai market .

c u all Charlie

the Bikes were indeed thrown together on Saturday the mechanics were still busy to assemble the X-trail or how is it called same story there .I have no interest in that bike

Same for the tiger boxer the finishing on my boxer is a lot better luckily ....

charlie

Thanh here is the answer from Pariya. Also did you know that they are doing 1 years % free finance in conjunction with AEON thats how i'm getting mine, no interest spread over 12 months gotta be a winner.

"Dear Allan

Thanks for the info. I will forward this on to my people. Obvisously, the Retro still need a lot of works as this one is putting together just for show. It finished at midnight on the 25th, the last day and at the latest time that the organizer allow us to bring in the bike.

I myself also knew a few flaws that he/she has mentioned. Once the original one is out I would be more than happy to invite you and Thanh to come to our factory and test ride it.

Give my regards to Thanh and thank you for the comment, we will do all we can to improve this.

Best Regards,

Pariya "

hi Dave

I didnt say that the E-boxer can drive 1500 km at the max speed of 140 km. MARTIN Guerra told me next year will be capable to go that far . at a normal cruising speed which is about 90 - 100 km/h the max speed will be around 140 - 150 km/h. That boxer with lithium batteries can be submerged in water and will cost in the US about 300000 baht with a yearly cost of about 2000 bht .On the long run you win .The e-motor will last at least 300000 miles .......

thats all what he told me .So lets see what will happen next .

and the others keep your stupid comments for yourself( i don't care anyway) you only make yourself ridiculous .look where this topic is getting from and how many boxers are already sold after mine. I have a lot of new friends via this site lets keep up the good work friends.

I only want to share information,many thanked me already for the correct info i always gave ..... thx to all of you

c u m8

Charlie

Thanh here is the answer from Pariya. Also did you know that they are doing 1 years % free finance in conjunction with AEON thats how i'm getting mine, no interest spread over 12 months gotta be a winner.

"Dear Allan

Thanks for the info. I will forward this on to my people. Obvisously, the Retro still need a lot of works as this one is putting together just for show. It finished at midnight on the 25th, the last day and at the latest time that the organizer allow us to bring in the bike.

I myself also knew a few flaws that he/she has mentioned. Once the original one is out I would be more than happy to invite you and Thanh to come to our factory and test ride it.

Give my regards to Thanh and thank you for the comment, we will do all we can to improve this.

Best Regards,

Pariya "

That's a GREAT response! I don't think that Honda, for example, would even listen to regular people who were just looking at a bike at the show.... and i am really glad to have it verified that it was indeed a quick job just to have something to show :D

Now i have something to look forward to - if i somehow get the $$ together over time i will get me a Retro, that is my decision. I like that bike, it's look especially, and not even my boyfriend can complain as he knows how much i want a Super Cub, for him it won't matter if it's a Tiger or a Honda as long as it makes me happy (he is not one of those Thais who wouldn't buy a Thai product).

However that financing deal can't help me - i have no work permit and hence couldn't get financing anyway, plus i don't want to throw myself into further commitments (got a car to pay!), instead i'll save up money where i can and once i got the 30k together i'll buy it cash, no problems (and before someone gets the idea to comment on this, believe it or not there are foreigners who work for a Thai salary and can live quite happily with that, and no, i'm not a teacher. Me working w/o WP doesn't hurt anyone or make anyone stupid).

But i would gladly accept the invitation for a factory visit and a test ride.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Yes i think so. I will ask Pariya for more info. you have to have an 'AEON' card for it. i thinlk how it works is if you pay it off in 12 months its 0% but if you go over 12 months its big interest. but will confirm details. Allan

Tiger TT150, the Thai build Cafe Racer

Tuesday, April 07 2009 @ 09:23 AM ICT

Fortune tellers and industry pundits could pick up a thing or two from Tiger Motorcycle. A few years ago, the Thai two-wheeler manufacturer snatch a large government motorcycle deal from the Japanese manufacturers. The very successful Tiger Boxer now has several different engine displacements and models.

Fast, forward a few years and models, and the aggressive manufacturer is now number one in the motorcycle segment of engines larger then 150cc.

During the 30th Bangkok Motor Show, Tiger was the only one which had something new, the Tiger TT150 which has done another magic act, to our expectations the Tiger TT150 will be quick in securing a lion's share of the market.

The Tiger TT150, a retro caf'é-racer style 150cc motorcycle, the bike looks like the once you could have bough in the mid-1960's, but the engine, brakes and suspension are actually very modern. The engine can run on all modern fuel types and the emission is compliant to the Euro III standard.

Basically, it is a real 1960's bike with an upgrade to the 21th century. But is that enough for the Tiger TT150 to make inroads in the competitive Thai motorcycle market, or it a case of piggybacking on a successful sibling?

The Tiger TT150 looks the mirror image of a retro café-racer I once had in the early 70's, it is a great looking slim, and slightly long-looking motorcycle that people will find tempting thanks to a really attractive price tag. It is hard to predict how much people will be pulling the wallets to get the Tiger TT150, as it has actual little to none competition, it is actual the only cafe-racer style motorcycle available in Thailand.

[dead link removed]

Can someone please tell me how to contact Khun Pariya, and give the Tiger website, and the address and phone numbers for dealers in Bangkok. I cannot find any of this information and I'm very interested in the TT150. Thanks.

Hi there, here the email from khun pariya: whoispariya @ yahoo.co.uk

BKK showroom address:

1865 Phahon Yothin rd, Lad Yao, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900 tel:02-511-2270

Factory address:

500 Moo 8, Buddharaksa rd., Taibanmai, A.Muang, Samutprakarn 10280 tel:02-388-0868-77

hope that helps,

mbox

How can I contact you for purchase of a TT150? What is the Tiger website address? Where are the dealers in Bangkok, addresses and phone numbers please!

"Dear Allan

Best Regards,

Pariya "

How can I contact you for purchase of a TT150? What is the Tiger website address? Where are the dealers in Bangkok, addresses and phone numbers please!

"Dear Allan

Best Regards,

Pariya "

Hi there, just contact Khun Pariya on my last post i left the email address he will sort you out , he speaks good english too.

mbox

Can someone please tell me how to contact Khun Pariya, and give the Tiger website, and the address and phone numbers for dealers in Bangkok. I cannot find any of this information and I'm very interested in the TT150. Thanks.

Thanks a 1000 times

BKK showroom address:

Factory address:

500 Moo 8, Buddharaksa rd., Taibanmai, A.Muang, Samutprakarn 10280 tel:02-388-0868-77

hope that helps,

mbox

Went to the shop on Phahon Yothin today. Met Khun Golf, who said that the TT150 was a model, show motorcycle only, not a production bike, and that he did not know when it would be sold to customers! He said he would check with his manager (Khun Pariya?). I left my number, and now I'm confused more than ever. They don't make it easy. Will contact Khun Pariya after the holidays.

Thanks a 1000 times

BKK showroom address:

Factory address:

hope that helps,

mbox

Ok Grungteep thats my bad. i thought i had made it fairly clear that both bikes were Bangkok show (show) bikes and SOON to be in production. The dates that i'm getting from Khun Pariya are early May for the Retro and Early June for the TT150. As the motor show has just ended i imagine that Pariya is very busY, he answers my emails either late at night or very early morning. They have now finalised a start to a new dealer network but it will be a slow rollout.

More news when its available.

Allan

Err...

Actually that IS positive! Because there are people (myself very much included) who like the look of old bikes much more than new ones. And if we can get an old-looking one brand new, that's what we buy.

Apart from that, Honda themselves are still building their original Super Cub (since 1958!) which looks just the same, if there wasn't a market they wouldn't build it. And now Tiger taps into that market, and i WILL buy one (Retro) as soon as my finances allow for it.

But now i'm off for Chiang Mai.

Kind regards......

Thanh

I call it jealousy, or a form working of the feeling that no Japanese manufacturer came with serious models at the Bangkok Motor Show, which to the profile is the biggest event for Motorcyclists in the world. It seems that the Bangkok Motor Show is the biggest event in Southeast Asia. To statistics 90% of the households in Southeast Asia buys and things of a motorcycle as the average Westerner things about a refrigerator.

Similar in statistics, and I can only speak for the Thai customers, the demand for bigger and more multifunctional refrigerators has increased. Similar to the demand for motorcycles which offer more then moobaan travel, previous 80% of all CVT bought in Thailand where used for neighborhood travel, this figure changed to include home to work traffic. The current CVT scooters are actually not up to the task, they are more then twice as expensive in fuel consumption as a transmission motorcycle.

And, and if serious highway traffic is a required... nothing beats a Tiger Boxer 250 RS... on fuel consumption and power. Also you get the insurance that Tiger keeps this model into the catalog for serious a few years from now. The only competition, being the Honda CBR-150R is actually disappointing from the showrooms and from the Thai market.

I belief that Tiger has accessed a very good market by introducing retro models, the TT150 is actual a very asked about product... worldwide