Troll Attack

Maigo6

I really don't care. If some people's lives are so empty and meaniingless that they feel compelled to go on internet fora just to wind people up and get their kicks so be it. Better they waste their time, and ours to a small extent, here in cyberspace than crawl around the real world molesting kids and robbing old age pensioners.

one might say the converse is far more tragic, that some lead lives so bleak and meaningless they seek sincerity, support and freindship on the internet rather than using it simply as a source of information/amusment.

I agree.

Its also funny that so many people are unable to spot a joke and take everything literally. I see no reason not to wind these people up.

"Is this a joke? He's probably just trolling. Just ignore him", then they'll make 124 posts in the same thread.

This is the most important thing to remember IMO. The vast majority of people are polite, friendly and non-judgemental... but in the Internet arena, the scumbags appear to be in such concentration (hiding behind the screen), you sometimes wonder if the world is just filled with morons, I know I do.

Most of those people are only on the net BECAUSE they enjoy p!ssing people off. I really believe the best course of action is to ignore them... and who gives a fuk what they think anyway?...

You mention Thai Visa and their success... I've never wanted to emulate the success of that website. My forum isn't even a Thailand forum anyway... as long as I have my niche and generate my own search engine traffic, I will have my own income... and I do. I simply don't care what happens at other websites.

... the reason I say this is because as long as you're legit, have a profitable business, and a tasty Thai trollop on your lap when you need it... why waste mental energy worrying about what sad tossers like Mad D** think?... people that are such sad, sociopath losers that all they have to do with their lives is spend 16 hours a day in front of their computer hitting the refresh button and dreaming up new ways to upset strangers.

This is the best advice I have ever seen about these nasty Trolls who seem to target posters on Thai Visa more and more. It is from the owner of another web site that does not compete with Thai Visa, but was never posted online.

Edited by Ulysses G.

it's funny you say that "jaiyenyen" because you are the 3rd person who has said that now - if only you would have listened to your own advice and read through the posts, you would have seen that you indeed have fallen victim and become that which you dislike. Oh, the irony of it.

Me, I like the gullible ones.

Get the net lad's!!! I've caught a whopper!!!!!!!!!! :o

it's funny you say that "jaiyenyen" because you are the 3rd person who has said that now - if only you would have listened to your own advice and read through the posts, you would have seen that you indeed have fallen victim and become that which you dislike. Oh, the irony of it.

Get the net lad's!!! I've caught a whopper!!!!!!!!!! :o

applause1234363884.gif

You gotta say Maigo the real superstars are the ones who are too lazy to read the whole thread; and post a response repeating a statement 5 posts above........and they do not even realise they have done it!!! :o

So who has the time or inclination to read an entire thread when it's a load of sh8te like this one.?

You gotta say Maigo the real superstars are the ones who are too lazy to read the whole thread; and post a response repeating a statement 5 posts above........and they do not even realise they have done it!!! :o

So who has the time or inclination to read an entire thread when it's a load of sh8te like this one.?

You did :D

How do arrive at that conclusion?

How do arrive at that conclusion?

I don't know maybe because you replied to a post in the middle of this thread, not to the first post or the last post of this thread...

There are posts written by either VERY stupid individuals or people who purposely post erroneous information to see what kind of a reaction they get. That said, if I failed to be amused I would have to find some other way to waste my time. A forum filed with totally factual dry information would be quite boring.

I also wanted to add that, given the inflammatory nature of the OP and the obvious intent to provoke other users into an emotional response, it's clear the poster who started this thread is himself a troll :o

Actually I was the OP. Some people might claim it was JC. Nope....me. Was I "flaming and provoking other users into an emotional response"? No, actually. I thought I was giving them a chance to respond to something that struck me as a cheap bit of journalism at the cost of all expats. The chance was there to respond to Clarkson's piece. Many took up the challange.

Did you read the responses? Expats 1..Clarkson 0.

Actually, Clarkson's piece, in my opinion, did more to enhance the expat movement (sic), than anything I've read in the last 10 years. Maybe this was Clarkson's ploy. Yes....I do look forward to seeing him in the next few years, once the pounds run out.

Regards.

Edit: 'And which twitchy janitor removed this topic to the far reaches of this murcurial hub?....Bolleaux..Enjoy the cake.

Edited by teletiger

I also wanted to add that, given the inflammatory nature of the OP and the obvious intent to provoke other users into an emotional response, it's clear the poster who started this thread is himself a troll :o

Actually I was the OP. Some people might claim it was JC. Nope....me. Was I "flaming and provoking other users into an emotional response"? No, actually. I thought I was giving them a chance to respond to something that struck me as a cheap bit of journalism at the cost of all expats. The chance was there to respond to Clarkson's piece. Many took up the challange.

Did you read the responses? Expats 1..Clarkson 0.

Actually, Clarkson's piece, in my opinion, did more to enhance the expat movement (sic), than anything I've read in the last 10 years. Maybe this was Clarkson's ploy. Yes....I do look forward to seeing him in the next few years, once the pounds run out.

Regards.

Edit: 'And which twitchy janitor removed this topic to the far reaches of this murcurial hub?....Bolleaux..Enjoy the cake.

Misunderstanding. I was talking about this thread and the OP / troll is Mr Maigo6.

Regarding J. Clarkson, the winner is …. J. Clarkson. In case of any doubt, just have a look at his pay cheque ….

As its anonymous these tw@ts can get away with it, but what i cant grasp is what they want us to think of them,and like some other posters have said the worse ones are the ones that dont realise they are trolls, ! ..there are some very,very strange people lurking behind their pc screens,.so, i suggest having some fun with them :o

Irony? LOL!!!!!!

everyone on web thinks thaivisa is over moderated and filled with a bunch of losers complaining about this and that.

So, I am right in my assumptions. :o

Thing is Tony, it's so bleedin' obvious, yet fair play to you mate, the threads do sometimes go to 100+ posts, I guess it says a lot about the membership also, unless of course they are in on the attack themselves........ :D

The way I see it, it's irrelevant whether a post is started by a troll or not if it reaches 100+ posts. A forum is about discussing interesting topics, and if a threads gains that much interest it's a plus to the forum irrespective of the original poster's intentions.

You should try selective reading and only click on topics which interest you as it will save you having to read topics you consider stupid.

Perhaps it's time to end 'free' Thai Visa? A one off subscription fee of say 25 $ ought to suffice in dissuading most would be trolls. First Class membership could also be offered (a monthly fee would earn extra privileges i.e no ads).

Are you serious ??

Are you also suggesting that trolls are 'poorer' than non-trolls ?

everyone on web thinks thaivisa is over moderated and filled with a bunch of losers complaining about this and that.

To plagiarise one of Maigo's well-used responses:-

Do you mean "everyone on web" or just "everyone YOU know on the web" ?

It may well be over-moderated but I don't consider myself to be a loser (although I have lost a few times) and I rarely complain about this and that, although I reserve the right to complain, on this forum, about anything that I choose to take exception to. Anonimity helps me to do that.

Edited by Chaimai

Perhaps it's time to end 'free' Thai Visa? A one off subscription fee of say 25 $ ought to suffice in dissuading most would be trolls. First Class membership could also be offered (a monthly fee would earn extra privileges i.e no ads).

been tried in the past. The loss of advertising revenue almost killed the site. It lasted 36 hours.

Are you serious ??

Are you also suggesting that trolls are 'poorer' than non-trolls ?

I certainly am serious. It works elsewhere, so, why not on Thai Visa? Most trolls soon realise that there's better things to do with their money than create multiple id's on a site such as Thai Visa.

been tried in the past. The loss of advertising revenue almost killed the site. It lasted 36 hours.

36 hours isn't enough time. Whilst initially, members may go elsewhere, I'd argue that many would realise that the free 'grazing' on the other side of the fence hardly provides comparible sustenance - they would slowly return.

36 hours isn't enough time. Whilst initially, members may go elsewhere, I'd argue that many would realise that the free 'grazing' on the other side of the fence hardly provides comparible sustenance - they would slowly return.

I think you are wrong, that is why every major online site is well free.

If the paid to view model really worked then most major sites would use that model, it does not work, and that is why most major sites use the FREE / supported by ads model.

Also the site has

Platinum membership, monthly (ad free)

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP FEATURES: - No ads. 100% ad free forums. - Super fast loading skin - Extendeded PM quota (1,000 messages) - Access to the exclusive Platinum Lounge Forum - Special invitations to Platinum Members meetups ... and much more to come...

So the admins have calculated the user / ad click ratio and determined it takes $9.95 a month to remove the ads, I don't see many people paying 9.95 a month to view other poeples opinions.

Also once it became a paid model, the mods that currently work for FREE would start demanding to be paid for thier services....

Edited by MyphuketLife

I think you are wrong, that is why every major online site is well free.

If the paid to view model really worked then most major sites would use that model, it does not work, and that is why most major sites use the FREE / supported by ads model.

Disagree. The paid model does work on major sites i.e airliners.net.

• 2 weeks later...

Trolls are the blood of free web forum. Who want to read the posts of boring old farts talking about the weather ? Get rid of the stupid, rude ones, keep the smart, funny ones, and you have a successful forum.

Now about a paying forum. I believe a dual member ship would work as long as you get something for your money.

Free membership : access to the current forum.

Paying membership : Now we’re talking business.

- I want current news and no BS, no propaganda.

- There are a few good forum in TV : farming, DIY, … Honestly I don’t want to browse past threads to get an answer to my questions, sorry about it but if you want my money you better provide the service.

And if you can get enough money to hire professional mods, that would be the cherry …