Songkran Alcohol Ban Canned, Crackdown On Alcohol Postponed To April 16

george

Massage parlour minimum age

On April 16, another controversial law is being enforced. After that date, massage parlors can no longer employ anyone under the age of 40, and are required to register all employees as such. This will minimize the request by customers for "extra services" which can cause problems with marriages and minor wives. ??

....whats that all about? I dont think i've ever seen anyone over forty (apart from 'Mama-sang') and minor wives?? is that legal? 2 wives? I mean why would you want to have a nagging wife, a nagging minor wife and everyone at the local 'massage' is over forty? ...ha ha

I go to a real 'proper' massage service (sports and therapy massage) in a nice hotel in Sriracha with my Mrs, The ladies are all under forty. what about them? They are educated, trained and qualified, i would think you'd get arrested if you asked them for 'extras'.

Surely this will lead to many of the girls going down beach road or dodgy bars putting themselves in all sorts of danger instead of a half decent place with showers, clean massage tables, hygienic staff etc??

Edited by kevinc

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On April 16, another controversial law is being enforced. After that date, massage parlors can no longer employ anyone under the age of 40, and are required to register all employees as such. This will minimize the request by customers for "extra services" which can cause problems with marriages and minor wives. ??

....whats that all about? I dont think i've ever seen anyone over forty (apart from 'Mama-sang') and minor wives?? is that legal? 2 wives? I mean why would you want to have a nagging wife, a nagging minor wife and everyone at the local 'massage' is over forty? ...ha ha

I go to a real 'proper' massage service (sports and therapy massage) in a nice hotel in Sriracha with my Mrs, The ladies are all under forty. what about them? They are educated, trained and qualified, i would think you'd get arrested if you asked them for 'extras'.

Surely this will lead to many of the girls going down beach road or dodgy bars putting themselves in all sorts of danger instead of a half decent place with showers, clean massage tables, hygienic staff etc??

What day is it today :o

Tompa,

Songkran alcohol ban canned, crackdown on alcohol postponed to April 16

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government has postponed the proposed alcohol ban during the Songkran festivals. The National Committee for Alcohol Consumption Control yesterday canned the no alcohol ban during the traditional Thai new year from April 13 to 15.

The committee, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart, found that a alcohol sales ban during Songkran would further harm the tourism industry.

"The meeting decided the ban would have a bad impact on tourism, particularly on Songkran day, which draws over 150,000 foreign tourists," Maj Gen Sanan said.

Alcohol crackdown to start April 16

The Committee has become alarmed at the deterioration of family values and family unity. One of the main evils of this problem is alcoholic beverages. The new proposal will require bars, convenience stores and entertainment centers that serve alcohol to adjust their closing times as follows:

All bars, shops and entertainment centers will closed based on a sliding window. Mondays close at 1:00AM, Tuesday 12:00 Midnight, Wednesday 11:00PM, Thursday 10:00 PM and Fridays at 9:00PM. Saturdays, Sundays and all official holidays, alcoholic beverages will not be allowed to be sold.

"The sliding window will reduce the problems with sudden alcohol withdrawal and allow family members to be able to spend more time with each other. Saturdays and holiday closures will improve Thai tourism and family outings", says Boonlert Sukaparpraeng, consumption controller at the Department of Culture.

The sliding window could be different in various provinces allowing the creation of many jobs for coach and minibus companies to ferry foreigners around to the correct province to fit in with the well established pattern of Immigration decentralized offices, recently enforced by the Immigration Bureau.

Foreigners holding a valid work permit or residency will still be able to purchase alcohol in so called Mom'n'Pop shops during the prohibited hours.

"This is typical for the Democrat Party", says Somchai Duemlaukaeng, Deputy chairman at the Consumer Protection board. "Thai people has one of the highest alcohol consumption pattern in the world per capita". This will only increase the sales of Lao Khao in the provinces."

On April 16, another controversial law is being enforced. After that date, massage parlors can no longer employ anyone under the age of 40, and are required to register all employees as such. This will minimize the request by customers for "extra services" which can cause problems with marriages and minor wives.

-- thaivisa.com 2009-04-01

Superb! How to say April 1 in thai?

All bars, shops and entertainment centers will closed based on a sliding window. Mondays close at 1:00AM, Tuesday 12:00 Midnight, Wednesday 11:00PM, Thursday 10:00 PM and Fridays at 9:00PM. Saturdays, Sundays and all official holidays, alcoholic beverages will not be allowed to be sold.

i think i misunderstand this...does this mean i can't get a drink in a bar after 9pm on a fri, sat and sun?...ever again? is this for real. if it is i'll never come to thailand again...

Not sure if I read all this right... does it mean that on Saturday night you can't go out and have a drink with your meal? And does it mean that on the weekend there will be loads of people out on the roads, drinking alcohol they bought at other times? Not quite sure how this is going to work...

The over 40 thing... maybe it would work if people who are actually qualified can keep their jobs, seems a bit over the top...

i think i misunderstand this...does this mean i can't get a drink in a bar after 9pm on a fri, sat and sun?...ever again? is this for real. if it is i'll never come to thailand again...

Mom&pop shops always sell beer, could be problems in some 7-Elevens though.

The government is also requiring all food shops andresturaunts to only open one day a week in each district, this would ensure that all inter city taxi and bus services are used to capacity. To ensure full employment for the hospitals it is a requirement that all operators of transport vehicles have a a blood alcohol reading above 0.08 at all times.

Smaller shops will always sell... (see below):

Foreigners holding a valid work permit or residency will still be able to purchase alcohol in so called Mom'n'Pop shops during the prohibited hours.
Edited by duckdonald

On April 16, another controversial law is being enforced. After that date, massage parlors can no longer employ anyone under the age of 40, and are required to register all employees as such. This will minimize the request by customers for "extra services" which can cause problems with marriages and minor wives.

Well done George I love that sentence.

Happy April Fools Day... :o:D:D

Great idea, get rid of all the inexperienced young chicks who don't know what they are doing and then can't keep theirs mouths shut.

And haven't learnt not to speak with their mouths full.

Edited by harrry

Great idea, get rid of all the inexperienced young chicks who don't know what they are doing and then can't keep theirs mouths shut.

And haven't learnt not to speak with their mouths full.

Agree 100%

IS THERE ANYWIDGET, OR SIMILAR DEVICE, AVAILABLE FROM 7ELEVEN THAT WILL ALLOW "GOOD" FARANGS TO PURCHACE ALCO POPS IN THE WEE HOURS?

:o:D:D:D:D:wai:

Not sure where you are, but there is a shop across the road from the Phuket railway station that sells those devices.