Saw A Thai Guy Go Berserk

Lancelot

I was walking into my apartment when one of the Thai tennants pulled in behind me. The guy was screaming yed mae (Mother <deleted>) and some other choice explatives. He got off his bike, walked into the street and continued to scream invectives and flipping off an invisible person(s).

The jist of the conversation was that he hated the police and he was telling them what he thought of them. He started pulling his trigger finger, pretending to kill his adversaries. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have used a real pistol if he had one. While he was raving, a few Thais passed him and both he and they acted if the other did not exist. Hear no evil, see no evil...

I asked the land lady about him and she informed me "Him normally very polite man when not drink. I'm think police catch him (helmet fine?) and him angry maak."

I know all nationalities have idiots that are even more unstable when drunk but Thais do seem to be especially prone to eratic behavior when intoxicated. I think I'll lay low this Songkran :o

Edited by Lancelot

I was walking into my apartment when one of the Thai tennants pulled in behind me. The guy was screaming yed mae (Mother <deleted>) and some other choice explatives. He got off his bike, walked into the street and continued to scream invectives and flipping off an invisible person(s).

The jist of the conversation was that he hated the police and he was telling them what he thought of them. He started pulling his trigger finger, pretending to kill his adversaries. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have used a real pistol if he had one. While he was raving, a few Thais passed him and both he and they acted if the other did not exist. Hear no evil, see no evil...

I asked the land lady about him and she informed me "Him normally very polite man when not drink. I'm think police catch him (helmet fine?) and him angry maak."

I know all nationalities have idiots that are even more unstable when drunk but Thais do seem to be especially prone to eratic behavior when intoxicated. I think I'll lay low this Songkran :o

is he an April Fool or just Khun Baaaaa

I can think of a few worse responses the land lady could have given...

"He's normally fine when he takes his pills"

"Normally only the friendly voices talk to him"

"His family can no longer afford the hospital, so he'd moved in here"

At least if he's pissed it will wear off.

is he an April Fool or just Khun Baaaaa

Oppps, I forgot all about April Fools day.... Unfortunately, it was a real display of pure craziness. Maybe the guys girlfriend just left him and this was the last straw, I don't know and I hope we never find out. The landlady also told me that he was a muscian, so maybe he'd been drinking all night and he was primed to go off.

I posted this as a reminder to all of us to stay cool and remember how easily things can get out of hand.

"His family can no longer afford the hospital, so he'd moved in here"

At least if he's pissed it will wear off.

I know you are joking but thats exactlly how the guy was behaving, as if he had forgotten to take his medication. I don't know many of my fellow tennants and I thought the guy simply rolled in here to have a rant. Most of the people here are middle class Thai professionals.

Yeah, I hope he sleeps it off :o

I once saw a guy in Jomtien jump off his motorbike and start shouting at the sky, he then proceeded to bang his head on the road, when he finished he jumped back in the bike and carried on. We supposed he was in some sort of withdrawl from drugs. Very scary spectacle.

Edited by Rimmer

I seen a few wierdo's here myself, one young guy who is crazy sits on the mall bridge (only 2 meters long) near my house, he just yells random things out and is there everyday.

But I see sooooooooooooo many more in Sydney compared to here, I probably seen more crazy farangs then Thais in Bangkok

No, no pics. It was just one of those surreal occurances and I don't carry a camera 24/7. I really thought he had got into a tiff with some other Thais and I fully expected to see one or more guys roar in and see things escalate.

But it never happened.

He stood there for a good five minutes, spewing invectives and giving "them" the finger and pulling the imaginary trigger. He kept talking about kuay, so I think he was telling them to suck the big one. His.

Maybe it was some kind of face saving exercise; he let the cops have it so he is still the man :o

Saw a crazie having a full blown argument with himself while rush hour traffic buzzed past on both sides.

No time to stop and video it. Just kept on riding and remembered it's just another element of surreal Thailand :o

But I've seen stranger things on the streets in Central London to be honest

I have to say I have seen Thai guys (and a few girls) drink a lot of alcohol - beer and spirits. For the most part, they are 'happy' drunks. I have only seen one Thai guy become aggressive - and that was at a dancing show in Issan. Police were quickly on the scene and took him away - but not before my partner threw a blanket over me - so the angry Thai guy couldn't take his aggression on the only farang in the crowd. Not that he probably would have - but better safe than sorry.

In Australia I rarely go out at night as it is too dangerous with drunken and drugged people everywhere.

Peter

I've seen a few crazies over the last couple of months. First one in London, saturday daytime I was 2 cars behind a bus in Clapham, stopped at lights. Suddenly I heard some thumps and then a side window of the bus smashed outwards, a big black guy jumped straight out into the other lane of traffic as if someone on the bus was after him with a gun. Instead he ran back across the road, looking both angry and scared, heading for the driver in the car in front of me...who quickly locked his door, then he came for my car but got distracted and ran back across the road and down the street. I bet the bus passengers were thinking <deleted>.

Two crazies in Bangkok on the same day...Sukhumvit road, 3pm, one guy LYING in the middle of the road gazing up at the sky! Later on a different guy wandering slowly through traffic, middle of Ratchadamri outside Central World.

Two weeks ago, walking on Ratchada from soi 2 to soi 4 with 5 other foreigners. I heard a Thai guy running behind us and he barged through us...we didn't worry much as we hadn't had any disagreements with anyone, but we then looked back to see his 4 friends running (firstly thinking they were chasing him). The long-haired guy in question ran straight up to another group of guys near us waving down a taxi and went beserk...they quickly flattened him but his friends went straight in there. An equal fight going on for a few minutes (the first equal numbers fight I've seen here!) with various guys getting knocked down, kicked and punched until the police casually rode up to them. It made me realise, when they do lose it they REALLY lose it and there's no backing down or grace given and certainly no calming down. Without friends to back you up you're in real trouble.

Where's 'LooseCannon' ? The great defender of drunken Thais.

"His family can no longer afford the hospital, so he'd moved in here"....

Or...

"Oh! him? - No it's just that he enjoys reading the daily newspaper quietly in a coffee shop near here, he has a favorite seat, but for the past few days someone has been making a point of sitting in his seat just to piss him off, sad really. Anyway he is visiting his brother that sells hand guns under the counter - he should be back to normal tomorrow..."

Is this the worse thing you have ever seen in your life?

What do you mean, Thais do seem to be especially prone to eratic behavior when intoxicated? Are you saying that there are no such raving loons in other countries?

Hardly worth the effort of publishing a thread about it.

Yesterday I saw my neighbour swear at his wife. Front page Bangkok Post material, I bet.

Edited by sassienie

Is this the worse thing you have ever seen in your life?

What do you mean, Thais do seem to be especially prone to eratic behavior when intoxicated? Are you saying that there are no such raving loons in other countries?

Hardly worth the effort of publishing a thread about it.

Yesterday I saw my neighbour swear at his wife. Front page Bangkok Post material, I bet.

Sassienie I think the point is that this is a respectable, middle class apartment block and the nutter is a respectable, middle class tenant/neighbour. Yes there are erratic drunks everywhere, but I agree with the O.P. that Thais do seem to have an extra edge about them, and I am very wary of Thais with drink inside them.