Thai Pm On Hard Talk?

GuestHouse

I was watching the Thai news this evening (Channel 5) and it was reported that the PM was scheduled to be interviewed for the BBC HardTalk - If you know the format then this (if true) could prove extremely interesting.

i am shocked. did you see the last interviews he gave with the BBC and CNN? He came off as a complete fool, a very bad liar, and looked like he wanted to crawl into a hole. I would be very surprised if it does not fall through, or if it does go, I imagine it will be softball questions like "Do you want Thai people to join together?".. "Will there be peace in Thailand?"... "Do you want to improve the standard of living?"

And not questions like, "Do you feel it inappropriate for the leader of the army to setup meetings between different political parties in an attempt to unseat the political party with the majority of the seats".... "Why did you choose a PAD leader as your Foreign Minister?", "Is Prem involved in politics?" etc etc etc

Edited by TonySoprano

If this is true I think Abhisit can handle it. It would have been really hilarious to have seen Samak on that show though.

He would have hidden in the loos, when they started asking tough questions, I suspect ! :o

If this is true I think Abhisit can handle it. It would have been really hilarious to have seen Samak on that show though.

The interviewer will eat him for breakfast I watched several interviews with him on CNN one in Asia they asked very soft but direct questions and he squirmed in his seat, on Hardtalk he wont get away so easy for sure

Edited by FarangCravings

did you see the last interviews he gave with the BBC and CNN? He came off as a complete fool, a very bad liar, and looked like he wanted to crawl into a hole.

In your eyes perhaps. Not mine. I thought he handled himself pretty well. There was a bit of squirming, but in general he was articulate and reasoned in his answers. If you want to talk about making a complete fool of yourself and blatantly lying, look no further than Samak. His interview on Al Jazeera was a complete embarrassment for all concerned. Did you see it Tony?

I imagine it will be softball questions like "Do you want Thai people to join together?".. "Will there be peace in Thailand?"... "Do you want to improve the standard of living?"

I agree with you that we'll have to wait and see whether Abhisit is brave enough to take the seat, but if he does be in no doubt that Hardtalk will not be asking him softball questions. There's a reason why it was named "Hardtalk" and not "Softtalk" - and that reason is why you'll never see Thaksin or anyone from the red side making an appearance.

Yeah, Samak is so bad its funny. Thaskin is pretty terrible too, btw. Its almost surprising that Thaskin has come so far politically given his lack of public speaking skills (atleast what I can tell in English. Maybe he is more convincing in Thai).

I wonder if he'll give the same reply to the les Majeste charges as he gave to Giles at Oxford Uni, when he said that many European countries have these laws to protect royalty......yes, 10 yr jail sentences....and he can't very well say that the King will pardon everyone because that in itself would be considered Les majest..(assuming what the King will do)..

I'll be very surprised if Mark actually appears on Hardtalk as unlike other interviews in England with politicians he will not be allowed to give the producer a list of questions about which he is prepared to answer.

d

id you see the last interviews he gave with the BBC and CNN? He came off as a complete fool, a very bad liar, and looked like he wanted to crawl into a hole.

In your eyes perhaps. Not mine. I thought he handled himself pretty well. There was a bit of squirming, but in general he was articulate and reasoned in his answers. If you want to talk about making a complete fool of yourself and blatantly lying, look no further than Samak. His interview on Al Jazeera was a complete embarrassment for all concerned. Did you see it Tony?

I imagine it will be softball questions like "Do you want Thai people to join together?".. "Will there be peace in Thailand?"... "Do you want to improve the standard of living?"

I agree with you that we'll have to wait and see whether Abhisit is brave enough to take the seat, but if he does be in no doubt that Hardtalk will not be asking him softball questions. There's a reason why it was named "Hardtalk" and not "Softtalk" - and that reason is why you'll never see Thaksin or anyone from the red side making an appearance.

I also disagree about PM Abhisit looking bad on the CNN. He did Ok and and I would take issue with the questioning from Dan Rivers who for me scores about 1 out of 10 as a journalist. This is the guy who CNN (which I think is crap) got on camera quickly when the 2006 coup happened and he just mouthed off without facts or relevant information.

To say PM Abhisut was 'a bad liar' is quite unfair and unthuthful.

In regard to 'hardtalk', I have little repect for the show anyway. It relies on sensationalism and often doesn't give the interviewee a fair chance to respond.

I'll be very surprised if Mark actually appears on Hardtalk as unlike other interviews in England with politicians he will not be allowed to give the producer a list of questions about which he is prepared to answer.

Correct. He is not even scheduled to appear. This thread is just misinformation. Check with the BBC as I have just done.

Correct. He is not even scheduled to appear. This thread is just misinformation. Check with the BBC as I have just done.

No the the thread is a repeat of what was stated on the Thai News.

There are a couple of possible reasons why what the news stated v what occurs might not be the same thing.

1. Thai news overstating the reception of the Thai PM.

2. The Thai PM's advisors doing their job and keeping him off Hard-Talk.

Of course a third option is that I might have given a false report of the news item.

I'll let the board decide on what is more likely and what motives might drive the choice of any of the three options above.

d

id you see the last interviews he gave with the BBC and CNN? He came off as a complete fool, a very bad liar, and looked like he wanted to crawl into a hole.

I also disagree about PM Abhisit looking bad on the CNN. He did Ok and and I would take issue with the questioning from Dan Rivers who for me scores about 1 out of 10 as a journalist. This is the guy who CNN (which I think is crap) got on camera quickly when the 2006 coup happened and he just mouthed off without facts or relevant information.

To say PM Abhisut was 'a bad liar' is quite unfair and unthuthful.

In regard to 'hardtalk', I have little repect for the show anyway. It relies on sensationalism and often doesn't give the interviewee a fair chance to respond.

I remember a string of comments such as

"So why then did you pick this PAD leader as your foreign minister"

"Well, um, yes there will must be an investigation of the facts. And if leaders of the PAD are found guilty then there will be results"

he had a look on his face like "I'm very embarrassed right now". perhaps he would be a better liar if he had more convincing material!

Just saw him on Hardtalk - I thought he came over very well .

A big stimulus package on the way .

Me too. Did a fine job and comes across as a decent, honest and intelligent man with more than an ounce of integrity.

Me too. Did a fine job and comes across as a decent, honest and intelligent man with more than an ounce of integrity.

Are you guys being serious? Abhisit was on Hard Talk and it aired today?! :o

Edited by rixalex

Misinformation you say?

Watched it too.

In contrast to Samak, Abhisit has a golden tongue (I presume in the Thai language as well). Very well-spoken and cool-headed.

Too bad he doesn't enjoy the support of a democratic election to make him an even stronger leader with the mandate of the majority. And too bad the recent prime ministers who DID have the majority's mandate, botched it so badly. The last interview Samak had with CNN was a total joke, when, in broken English, he personally lashed out at the interviewer. Anyone remember that?

Edited by toptuan

Too bad he doesn't enjoy the support of a democratic election to make him an even stronger leader with the mandate of the majority. And too bad the recent prime ministers who DID have the majority's mandate, botched it so badly. The last interview Samak had with CNN was a total joke, when, in broken English, he personally lashed out at the interviewer. Anyone remember that?

Abhisit has the mandate of the majority as much as Samak did - and yes, he (Samak) was a pathetic joke, which tells you something about the man he was working on behalf of.

Seems to be available here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jqqv3

But I have the following message "The content doesn't seem to be working. Try again later" :D

If someone knows how to fix this problem, it would be greatly apreciated :o

same problem here

http://www.bbcworldnews.com/Pages/Schedules.aspx

The above seems to work.

Repeated at 21.30 and 23.30 tonight.