Sexually Harrassed

Neeranam

Very often when I'm out alone in Khon Kaen city I get sexually harrassed by women AND men!

I'm not joking - this morning at a new barbers, he asked if I was alone and if I was interested in "gatoeys". I told him I wasn't and then he started rubbing my leg saying "unzip and give me a look".

Yesterday, at a new coffee bar, the waitress rubbed my thigh and gave me her telephone number.

In public places I can't often get any peace - there's always some girls(usually university)hassling me, and occasionally "gatoeys", who for some reason think all "farang" like them.

This morning, I just told him to stop, and that he was sick, and walked out.

Yesterday afternoon, I just smiled and ignored her.

Strangely, when I'm in a touristy bar area, the bargirls never bother me.

Does this happen to you?

How do you handle it?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very often when I'm out alone in Khon Kaen city I get sexually harrassed by women AND men!

I'm not joking - this morning at a new barbers, he asked if I was alone and if I was interested in "gatoeys". I told him I wasn't and then he started rubbing my leg saying "unzip and give me a look".

Yesterday, at a new coffee bar, the waitress rubbed my thigh and gave me her telephone number.

In public places I can't often get any peace - there's always some girls(usually university)hassling me, and occasionally "gatoeys", who for some reason think all "farang" like them.

Does this happen to you?

How do you handle it?

Just enjoy it except the Katoi part.

Oh, btw, to be serious, I have no idea what is the 'norm' when it comes to common things like 'washing hair at hair-cutting saloon', since it is always different. And some times over the years I have wondered to my self if 'that was perhaps over some line?'...ofc, never any explicit sexual things as it is in a pricey saloon and chairs several chairs for cleaning hair and a lot of people around, but the extent some go to give massage...I have no idea.

Does this happen to you?

How do you handle it?

Feeling a bit down are we? Needed to boost your self esteem with such a post? :o I will give it a B+ for originality but a definate D- minus for execution.

We ladies put up with more than our fair share of this (from men, not women, although I have encountered the latter on rare occasion too).

If the context permits, immediately leave in a huff.

If on the street/passing by, ignore. Literally act as though they are invisible.

Afraid that's the best I can offer after a lifetime of dealing with this -- both home, here and elsewhere abroad.

Business names? Addresses? In the interest of journalistic integrity, I need to verify the OP's reports. :o

Edited by toptuan

We ladies put up with more than our fair share of this (from men, not women, although I have encountered the latter on rare occasion too).

If on the street/passing by, ignore. Literally act as though they are invisible.

Afraid that's the best I can offer after a lifetime of dealing with this -- both home, here and elsewhere abroad.

sorry to here this Sheryl.

As you live in Thailand is it thai men who give you this sexual hassle or is it from tourists/expats alike???

very intruiged as i have never heard this happen to a couple of farang lady friends.Maybe you are a babe compared to my friends lol.

sorry to here this Sheryl.

As you live in Thailand is it thai men who give you this sexual hassle or is it from tourists/expats alike???

very intruiged as i have never heard this happen to a couple of farang lady friends.Maybe you are a babe compared to my friends lol.

everything can be solved with a few drinks. tell your friends to stay out later. :o

I understand what the OP is talking about, although it doesnt really happen to me, I'm ugly :o BUT I have noticed that it can be very difficult to be alone in Thailand. By this I mean, back home I might enjoy sitting in a park eating my lunch, reading a book or magazine - here thats virtually impossible without someone or many people trying to liase with you. It applys to many things, even taking a my morning walks I am constantly hastled by people trying to sell this, trying to sell that, ask me this, ask me that.

It seems as if the concept of doing something alone is unthought of here.....strange.

I was sexually harrassed by the sunavabhumi airport security staff.

An obviously camp guy patted down all 4 of my pants pockets, then did it again (twice all up), even though there were no beeps

lucky he didnt go for a grope on the family jewels or i would have done something

In 1982, a maid at a Bangkok hotel offered to give me some oral gratification.  (I was mortified and didn't know how to react.)

And now, I must be pretty ugly or something, because since that one incident, I have never had a female stranger nor gay male stranger offer me anything nor show the slightest hint at offering me anything--unless I was walking down the lower Suk at night or on Walking Street in Pattaya.  I have never had hordes of uni women throwing themselves at me at MBK as others have attested, I have never had waitresses slip me their phone numbers with the bill.  I have never had my barber touch anything other than my hair.

Oh, I have had a few women flirt with me, of course, but never over the line into overt sexual advances or actual touching.

So there must be something seriously wrong with me if everyone else is having these overt advances/assaults!  

Yeah I know how you feel. I had to file a SHR at the police station once as my monthly trim at the beauty salon became a bit repulsive (they kept telling me my hair smells nice). This always creped me out as I just wanted a trim in peace. No charges where made as midgets are also protected by some human rights committee.

Hmm, yeah, I think I'm missing out as well. Bummer.

I don't mind being the aggressor, but haven't met a single aggressive (in public) female here, foreign gals included.

:o

Yeah me, too. I guess its cause I am only in my mid twenties, and apparently, Thai women, and especially young nimble Thai University girls, just love older farang. Its probably the "I shave my head because it looks cool, not because I am balding" look that gets them every time.

Does this happen to you?

How do you handle it?

Are you sure that waitress was a REAL she and not a she male aka., gatoeys, if so please pm me the name of that coffe bar, I want to check it out on next visit to Khon Kane, now for barbers, barbers shops are a dime a dozen in the Kindgom, most are 40 baht or less for a good hair cut/like wise and a big roger on beauty shop, so if you have the EYE for some nice, sweet ladies(the real deal) you might also want to checkout a beauty shop for a hair cut, 95 per cent of the Thai male population WOULDN"T be caught dead getting a hair cut from a beauty shop/ladies barber, no kidding at the barber shop I visit often one time while getting a trim three of the five barbers were women, four men were waiting for the two men barbers, two men came in and left with the three women barbers ready and willing to give a trim, I guess it'S that Thai MACHO thing, you figure IT> :D:o

I run into this occasionally. I always say thank you to them, but let them know I am not available--at least not right now. I take it as a compliment. I suppose I could view it as 'harrassment', but I don't. I prefer to see it as a compliment. Makes things a lot easier.