Where Is Cm's Best Tuna Fish Sandwich ?!

Mapguy

A recent article in The Payao Poseidon Post featured a remarkable phenomenon! Tuna are now apparently spawning in the Mae Ping! Over the past few months local fishermen have been reported scooping up exhausted but sexually-fulfilled fish. (Don't snicker! You try swimming here from the gulf and then doing it!)

The catch has recently been appearing in CM's most distinguished chain of supermarkets (not a TV sponsor) and on local menus, as reported recently by an alert TV member on another thread. He reported that some local chefs are apparently wary of serving up a tuna fish sandwich. Well, can you imagine a tuckered out tuna sandwich?! A cook could lose his reputation!

But some brave kitchen geniuses must be serving up this new locally-obtainable delicacy (on rye, whole wheat or white bread). Does anyone know where one can enjoy a really great tuna fish sandwich?!? Some of us truly hate to cook at home out of the can!

The Duke's does nice fresh tuna, and Bake and Bite has excellent (canned) tuna salad sandwiches with fresh avocado.

Art Cafe, JJs and the Rose Guest House all have good tuna salad sandwiches also, but - for some reason - the Rose Guesthouse refuses to serve them at the same time as their excellent minestrone soup. :o

Oh Mapguy ! Are you doing humor here ? Be careful; it's best left to the experts.

And a good tuna sandwich is actually one of the easiest things for anybody, even a bachelor to pull off at home. Waaaay easy. Not same with burritos, hamburgers. Make the filling and keep it all week if you do a big batch, you can be set up well. That for me then only begs to question which is the best canned tuna and who sells the best sliced bread ? And sweet relish or not ?

My friend just loves tuna fish sandwiches. He likes the little cafe next to the Airport Plaza on the way towards the airport. We've also had great tuna fish sandwiches at the Cassowary coffee house down from Chiang Mai gate on the outside of the moat where Suriwong road splits off to the right.

Are they tuna salad with onions and mayo and such all whipped together? I can't handle those British tuna sandwiches with plain tuna on bread! :D

Are they worth riding my bicycle over for? :o

They were at the places I mentioned. I don't like the REAL plain British tuna sandwiches either. But, I also don't like something soaked with mayo either. I prefer my own smoked salmon to anything commercial. I add just enough mayo to make the salmon spread easily and add diced red pepper and chopped green onions. My hickory smoked salmon is already flavoured with mixed spices and bit of lemon juice.

Are they tuna salad with onions and mayo and such all whipped together? I can't handle those British tuna sandwiches with plain tuna on bread! :D

Are they worth riding my bicycle over for? :o

They were at the places I mentioned. I don't like the REAL plain British tuna sandwiches either. But, I also don't like something soaked with mayo either. I prefer my own smoked salmon to anything commercial. I add just enough mayo to make the salmon spread easily and add diced red pepper and chopped green onions. My hickory smoked salmon is already flavoured with mixed spices and bit of lemon juice.

Do you know anywhere that SELLS these salmon sandwiches? They sound great! :D

It seems someone has has take the bait -- so to speak -- on the OP's original chum, which is a grand effort at a little satire. Lord knows any direct criticism of the permitted topics allowed for discussion here are closed, deleted and people banned quickly enough.

So continuing this important, permitted topic: UG, how many grams of tuna should be in your ideal sandwich? Do you prefer true mayo or the miracle whip, sweet variety? How many used books to you have to flog to pay for a yummie tuna sandwich like grandma used to make?

That's Mapguy for you. Raising the standards on the ChiangMai forum. But ya' know, old Mapster, now that you mention it, I am thoroughly disgusted with the tuna s/w that the partner brings home. The white bread is dry, and the tuna is also. Sometimes they cut the crusts off, just like Mama used to. But I am afraid to ask for more mayo, for fear it will be drowned in the slippery stuff. And as that sous chef gorilla already mentioned, even amateur bachelors can do it. Heck, even I can make a tuna s/w, and I ain't no cono-sewer of fine food like youse guys are.

Well, as old comic Georgie Goebbels used to say, I see by the old clock on the wall that it's time to go. Eat hearty.

It seems someone has has take the bait -- so to speak -- on the OP's original chum, which is a grand effort at a little satire.

Sounds like you are the one taking the bait. Everyone else just ignored the grumbling and turned a bitter lemon of a post into lemonade.

Sorry fellas, but every thread can't be complaints about the weather, the pollution, what is wrong with Thailand or how much you hate Songkran. :o

To UG - it ain't gourmet, but every year that I visit The States I fly back with a cpl big cans of canned salmon and then use them to make salmon sandwiches like Grandpa used to make when I was a kid. Way different animal than the tuna endeavor. No mayo at all, as the salmon has it's own moisture to it. Only salmon, cider vinegar, chopped white onion n an incredible amount of fresh cracked black pepper. Simple peasant food, so good....on a hot day.

It seems someone has has take the bait -- so to speak -- on the OP's original chum, which is a grand effort at a little satire.

Sounds like you are the one taking the bait. Everyone else just ignored the grumbling and turned a bitter lemon of a post into lemonade.

Sorry fellas, but every thread can't be complaints about the weather, the pollution, what is wrong with Thailand or how much you hate Songkran. :o

Every thread? This forum often reads like a gormand's -- not gourmet's -- guide to Chiang Mai. BTW, do you prefer real mayo or miracle whip? How do you like your lemonade? I for one really want to know.

Looks a lot like you were banned from Thai Visa recently "dashan". I would really like to know what your old nick was, but I don't suppose that you are going to tell us. cheesy.gif

C'mon you didn't answer my question: true mayo or miracle whip?

Ouch, that silly little anaimated icon is really tearing me up. You really know how to hurt a guy. I give! I'll tell you all, old great purveyor of dusty, yet dear, tomes. Please just go easy on me, OK? If you do I'll make you a very special sandwich.

Why don't you start a thread on the horrors of Songkran? It is about that time of year and it will make you feel better. :o

I actually like one day of throwing water. Almost as much as a tuna sandwich, or burrito, or pizza,or The Duke's, or the Duke's, or a double cheeseberger, or the Duke's, or spaghetti, or maybe tacos, but not tuna sandwhiches that are dry and contain less than 100 grams of tuna and served with miracle whip. You don't eat those do you?

• 3 weeks later...

Best tuna sammie in CM.... home made mayo - made by my # 1 son.... wholemeal bread made by moi... tuna salad made by my friend Cathy (don't know what she does to that but it is yummy!) then whatever salad is there at the time! Followed up by an hour or so chatting over many cups of tea! Yummy! :o

i am not sure what the lame dashan is trying to say but dashan rhymes with insane ,,,... so maybe this is a clue...

the #1 tuna sandwich in C.M. big slab of grilled tuna 3/4" thick on bun with fries for 155 baht is the Dukes period..

if u talk about ,even mention canned tuna salad u missed the point of this thread

just save the chatter about canned tuna make at home or whatever.... there is no point in this talk at all.

peasants it seems........... too many peasants up here in C.M.

Edited by gatorhead333

Quick quick, the OP has had his answer, close the topic!

:o

Nope, not before I get to say that you menials obviously have not taken the time to sample the delightful tuna sammies, very carefully encapsulated in sorta airtight little plastic boxes for most of the day, at your local Mr. Donut.

And they even come with a leaf of (admittedly limp) lettuce!

Geez, develop some taste, willya? Which of course includes not reading Mapguy's posts... :D

Quick quick, the OP has had his answer, close the topic!

:D

Nope, not before I get to say that you menials obviously have not taken the time to sample the delightful tuna sammies, very carefully encapsulated in sorta airtight little plastic boxes for most of the day, at your local Mr. Donut.

And they even come with a leaf of (admittedly limp) lettuce!

Geez, develop some taste, willya? Which of course includes not reading Mapguy's posts... :D

You, too, buddy!!! And yeah, I have my answer!! Over a page's worth!! I think I'll stick with Starkist!! Now, where did I leave my bucket of chum?! :o

Edited by Mapguy