Provocative Pole Dancing Video By Apparent 10 Year-old Sparks Outrage

sriracha john

Most forms of dancing are somewhat sexually provocative or explicit. These include famous showgirl places lik Moulin Rouge and Vegas. Many specific dances and styles range from hinting at sex to exuding it. These include Tango, Salsa, Rumba, Hip Hop, Fly Dancing, Belly Dancing, ballet, slow dancing, Pole Dancing, and many more. It doesn't matter to me, but to deny that there are sexual elements to dancing just isn't correct

This is true, though I am not sure I'd say "most" forms of dancing. I would agree that there's a wide range of suggestiveness, from extremely subtle through to overt. The "can can" of the Moulin Rouge was designed to give the "patrons" a glimpse of the dancers' nether regions. I'd not like to see a child doing this for an adult audience. Pole dancing is explicitly (crudely?) sexual, and in Thailand, the pole immediately connotes the bar and the activities which go with it. I therefore find it inappropriate for a 10 year old.

Edited by Lami

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because a bunch of women around the world dance around poles doesn't make it any sexier than other forms of dance.

How about that move where she holds the pole with one hand , leans back - then pumps her crotch toward the pole - bam bam bam

Is that supposed to be sexy?

Just because a bunch of women around the world dance around poles doesn't make it any sexier than other forms of dance.

How about that move where she holds the pole with one hand , leans back - then pumps her crotch toward the pole - bam bam bam

You can see the same move in many other styles of dance. The "crotch pump" is not unique to pole dancing.

You can see the same move in aerobics, minus the pole,....but there it's called exercise. Let's ban kids from aerobics too.

In fact, let's just ban kids altogether, because adults can't be trusted.

Edited by sibeymai

I was once on a long distance bus journey and something apparently from mainstream Thai television was showing. It involved boys of less than 10 dressed in "hot pants", dancing in a feminine manner and being told to turn around and shake their bottoms to the audience. The other passengers on the bus seemed to think it was hilarious but I thought it was a bit creepy. Then again, I also remember Jim'll Fixit in the UK got in trouble for fixing it for a boy to act as a male stripper.

i have the feeling the young girl was exploited/egged on by her parents, which to me is 100% a case of parental irresponsibility.

I am completely in agreement with your comments above.

and that is the aspect that seems specifically targeted by the law...

Article 26 of the Children Protection Act bars anyone from forcing, coercing, encouraging, or allowing children to perform an obscene show.

Offenders are punishable by a fine of 30,000 baht and/or a three month jail term.

I disagree. Most forms of dancing are somewhat sexually provocative or explicit. These include famous showgirl places lik Moulin Rouge and Vegas. Many specific dances and styles range from hinting at sex to exuding it. These include Tango, Salsa, Rumba, Hip Hop, Fly Dancing, Belly Dancing, ballet, slow dancing, Pole Dancing, and many more. It doesn't matter to me, but to deny that there are sexual elements to dancing just isn't correct.

Good point. I'm sure we all used to love doing the can can as children without any serious long-term ill-effects.

How about that move gymnast spread their legs wide mid air?

Is that supposed to be sexy too?

Why cun't the girls dress up more, especially around their private part; or will that be a disqualification in the olympic?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Fzq94YVbHHM/RjtW...xy_sport_04.jpg

http://photos.upi.com/story/w/fcf7d40389d4...astics_duel.jpg

http://www.sportsphotography.net/portfolio/gymnast.jpg

http://www.actiontrip.com/images/alison_tr.jpg

I am absolutely amazed about the amount of posters defending this.

She has been put on stage to perform a dance act that ordinarily is reserved for adult clubs. It isn't aerobics, it isn't exercise, it is an adult dance for erotic stimulation.

If her elder sister taught her how to suck on a popsicle simulating and adult act, and she stood up there in complete innocence and showed it to the crowd would anyone be arguing that the popsicle was just a prop? Or should we ban ice lollies?

There are things that kids should not be exposed to, and whilst I hope no one got any sexual gratification out of the event or video, in this situation, this girl should not have been encouraged to dance in this way and hopefully she doesn't understand the real meaning of what she is performing. This is manipulation and voyeurism of the highest sort. I am sure an average parent could train their child to shoot their neighbour with a few months coaching. Should a parent teach their kid to snort talcum powder off the table while they snort cocaine? Don't worry, it's all in innocence????????????

The world is indeed a strange place when a ten year old can stand and replicate adult entertainment and people are arguing about whether synchronized swimming should also be banned. She is a kid, and someone has taught her something of which she doesn't understand the connotations. It is in the same level of taste as watching a handicapped kid fall over because a school bully tied his shoelaces together.

I don't care if anyone in the crowd got titillated. This is wrong if for no other reason than the fact that in 5 years time, she will have to live this video down and may end up hanging herself in shame due to peer bullying. A young brain is a thing to be cherished and nurtured until it is of an age to make it's own decisions, not something that should be played with for the gratification of adults to any possible detriment present or future or the child.

For people on this forum to see that this performance has anything to do with teenage gymnastics or sports makes me wonder whether I am living in some prudish fuzz or more likely the world around me has dropped of the edge into a seething mass of depravity.

Edited by Thai at Heart

For people on this forum to see that this performance has anything to do with teenage gymnastics or sports makes me wonder whether I am living in some prudish fuzz or more likely the world around me has dropped of the edge into a seething mass of depravity.

Possibly the latter - see Pole dancing classes for seven-year-olds creates fury Down Under! Of course, there is the comment in there about pole dancing not being pole dancing!

From the photograph we have, it seems significant to me that the girl is not dressed for normal pole dancing.

Child safety group condemns underage pole dancing

Published on April 4, 2009

The National Children Protection Committee will take action against the parents of underage pole dancers and the organisers of their performances.

"Arranging for a girl aged under 14 years to be a pole dancer is a legal offence," the committee's member Wallop Tangkananurak said yesterday, "and any company or person who organises a pole dance by underage girls will be punished."

On Thursday, the Culture Watch Centre announced it had received complaints that a prepubescent girl had been dancing provocatively around a pole at a motor show.

The centre's director Ladda Tangsupachai believed the girl, who was filmed in video clips, was about 10 years old.

Ladda added that there were also reports of poledancing underage girls at temple fairs.

Article 26 of the Children Protection Act bars anyone from forcing, coercing, encouraging or allowing children to perform an obscene show.

Offenders are punishable by a fine of Bt30,000 and/or a threemonth jail term.

Wallop suggested that firsttime offenders face warnings and repeated offenders should be fined and perhaps jailed too.

"Companies paying underage girls for pole dances and the girls' parents should also be condemned," he added, "No such cases should happen again".

Wallop urged anyone who saw the violating of children's rights to contact nongovernmental organisations in the field.

"Please help look after our society," he said.

April 5, 2009 10:00 am (Thai local time)nationmultimedia.com

Edited by Lami