Living Without A Car

runner

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd been driving a personally owned car for 35 years before I moved to Bangkok. My first impression was, "Thank the gods I don't have to drive here, no traffic hassles (that's the driver's job), no monthly payments, no maintenance, etc...." For over a year, I was happy (ecstatic in-fact) that Bangkok had a plethora of alternatives to the hassles of car ownership: BTS, taxis, San Sep canal, river ferries, etc. I used them all and enjoyed the freedom and versatility they provided. Then.........

I found out that carrying your shopping home by BTS ain't so much fun. Ever try to get a taxi during rush hour or when raining? Those shopping bags start getting heavy after 15, 20, 30 minutes of waiting for a taxi that is willing to go where you want to. Sucks waiting for a boat, only to find out they stopped running 30 minutes ago. If I feel like spending the week-end at the beach - long-distance buses are about as low on the transportation fun meter as it gets. An even then; once you get there what do you do for local transportation? I could go on but, you get the idea.

Finally broke down and bought myself a car. What a relief. Comfort and convenience levels are vastly superior to public transportation. Even when I get stuck in traffic, I know I will have adequate air conditioning, music that I like to listen to and I always have a comfortable seat to sit in. Sometimes when I am stuck in traffic, I just roll down the windows and let the sounds and smells of Bangkok complement the sights - it is great entertainment and reminds me of why I love this city so much. As an added bonus I no longer need to share a carriage or boat with with back-packers (why do they find it necessary to carry a back-pack - which they feel obliged to hit everyone with - no matter where they go) or smelly, rude, loud, whining farang bitches who think that all and sundry are lucky to have their fat thighs rubbing against them while they shout (er...I meant converse) at each other.

Having a car in Bangkok also has some very practical benefits that help offset the expense of owning a car. The universe of convenient, inexpensive, quality housing located in nice sois increases exponentially. That alone saves me about B15,000 a month. The other very practical benefit is that when I have multiple errands to run, it is much easier to do so when I am driving myself as opposed to relying on public transportation. Stress level is much reduced, especially if I can use the tollway to get to my destination. If the urge strikes me to take a trip out of down - I go down to my parking garage, unlock the door to my car and off I go and still have reliable transportation when I get there.

On occasion I still use taxis and the BTS, like on the first week-end of the month when I know that parking at shopping centers is a nightmare. Or a taxi when I am going somewhere I am not familiar with - I let the taxi driver teach me how to get there. Contrary to what some posters think, I have been treated very well by the vast majority of taxi drivers that I have come into contact with.

When I first arrived in Bangkok, my initial impression was that it would be a nightmare driving here. I've been pleasantly surprised to find out that it actually is very easy. Especially, if you have already driven in a major city before e.g., New York, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, etc.. For the most part Thai drivers are polite and cooperate with each other, unlike in the West where competition and insults seem to be the norm. Of course that does not apply to bus drivers or motorsai drivers :o . Oh well, nothing is ever perfect.

For those of you enjoy driving motorcycles in Thailand, I wish you well, but I had to laugh at one poster's tongue-in-cheek comment that there is a good reason that you don't see many old motorcycle drivers in Bangkok.

A car for me, it's a safety thing for my family. You will most like survive a car accident with minor to moderate injuries but a motor bike id totally unforgiving. I do have a motor bike for short trips to the market, mainly for easy parking. Plus the rainy season will begin in honest in a few short weeks or so. Bottom line is what ever your mode of transport is on the roads of the Kingdom also take extra care and watch out for the other guy.

When I was single I always wanted a car but just relied on taxis and bts.

Now that there is a child on the way, I am going to get a Toyota Fortuner because its huge and it will protect us on the road. Also, i am sure you will quickly get out of my way when you see me coming. And I can listen to music while I drive. And I have air conditioning. And, and I am not saying I plan to do this, but given my TV handle, you probably know what I am getting at, I could receive oral gratification. And I will have leather seats. And I wont smell exhaust. And I wont get sun burned. And other Thais and farang will not think I am loser.

But your motorbike sounds nice! :o

Do let us know about it, and how them thinking your not a loser works out for you.

Why would anyone want a car in BKK other than a status thing, there is so much transport around that driving a car to me is lunacy.

I have no car although the missus has a motorcy and I sometimes ride behind her although I dont like it, think "got away with it again" every time we get home.

I have travelled a fair bit of the country now without a car and there is always some sort of public transport around even in the outbacks of issan and the south.

No car for me thanks dont need the stress of driving in all that traffic.

I think you answered your own question there!

Now that there is a child on the way, I am going to get a Toyota Fortuner because its huge and it will protect us on the road. Also, i am sure you will quickly get out of my way when you see me coming. And I can listen to music while I drive. And I have air conditioning. And, and I am not saying I plan to do this, but given my TV handle, you probably know what I am getting at, I could receive oral gratification. And I will have leather seats. And I wont smell exhaust. And I wont get sun burned. And other Thais and farang will not think I am loser.

They will if you get a Fortuner!!!

Do let us know about it, and how them thinking your not a loser works out for you.

When in Rome...

But your motorbike sounds nice! :D

Hmm, didn't it rain tonight?

:o

Edited by TonySoprano

So how was the motobike ride home in the rain? Hmmm, why do people post about shit they neither have nor will ever be able to afford, and if Thai wife does get him a loan for a "car", just happier for little lady after ding dong gone and mama raise her little sister.

Grow up d***h***. I am sure everyone is very impressed.

So how was the motobike ride home in the rain? Hmmm, why do people post about shit they neither have nor will ever be able to afford, and if Thai wife does get him a loan for a "car", just happier for little lady after ding dong gone and mama raise her little sister.

Grow up d***h***. I am sure everyone is very impressed.

...And I am guessing you were several times over the legal limit on the way home. :D

Why would anyone want a car in BKK other than a status thing, there is so much transport around that driving a car to me is lunacy.

Good that you mentioned "lunacy".

Cars tend to keep it concealed, for a pretier sight in the streets.

moto.jpg

Edited by think_too_mut

I live in Samut Prakarn. I have a small motorbike (Honda Click) I have been here now 6 months and bought the bike in the first month. It takes me 30 minutes to get to On Nut, it takes my friend 1 hour for the same journey by bus. I have driven to Pattaya (4 hours) and this month I plan on a journey to Krabi (expect 5 days) stopping to admire places like Hua Hin, Chumphon, Ko Pha Ngan, Surat Thani and then across land to Krabi. On a bike I can do what I want, stop when and where I want, enjoy the scenery more than in a car and get the wind and sun. It is one of the most beautiful feeling that I have ever experienced. True the air in Bangkok city is terrible, many moto taxi drivers are absolutely crazy and the police stop me regularly (about once a month), usually I have no idea what for and mostly the just tell me to go, I have never had to show any insurance (which I do have) I have no tax disc showing and nobody asked to see it. I have had no driving license since 8 weeks, it was pick-pocketed but they have never caused me problems. 3 times I had policemen wanting tea-money. I paid but only half of what they wanted. All in all I enjoy driving me bike. I would hate to be stuck for hours in a taxi or car in the city. Outside the city driving a motorbike is a wonderful experience, don't stay on the main roads, get off the beaten track, see and learn Thailand as it is. It is wonderful. Yes, you need eyes in the back of your head, but keep cool, always use your side mirrors and don't drink or speed. Even in the city there are unbelievable things to be seen if you take the back streets. I can be in a "jungle" of banana and coconut orchards in minutes, take the ferry across Chao Praya and discover the area in the "big loop" just south of Bangkok. It is a completely different world. If you are in Chiang Mai area, get on a motorbike and go to the villages, play with the kids and enjoy the hospitality of the native tribes. At first I had many punctures but not once was I left alone, everywhere there are motorbike repair stations and you don't even have to speak Thai to get your bike repaired. Overall I love this experience but each to his own. One quick note to car drivers, please look out for motorbike drivers and try to leave a little room to your left for motorbike drivers to pass through, that way you minimise the risk of motorbike drivers taking unnecessary risks. Wish me luck.

Does anybody like to drive ? As soon as I reached the legal age, I got a driving licence (Bike and car) and the 10 years I spent in Hong Kong without a car was the most frustrating years of my life. The first time we drove to Chiang Mai from Bangkok, my wife insisted we borrowed her dad driver. On the way back, the driver was on the passenger seat and I was driving, it was abvious that this time he was the one being frustrated :o .

Q. Why don't you ever see any old people riding motocy in Thailand?

A. Because people who ride motocy in Thailand don't live long enough to get old.

Maybe it is where you live?

In my Village only 4 people have motorbikes, they all have cars as well, the youngest is 44 the oldest is 77..

The Lady that delivers the fresh drinking water is in her 50's, the gas man is 66, a man that delivers food next door is over 60.

Sure when I drive into BKK most bike riders are young

Nowadays almost everybody has one, a Fortuner. So, for not to be a looser, you have to place the copy of the invoice, which shows, that you paid it all already on the screen.

or

get a Land Rover or a BMW.

Or a Ferrari or a Lambo.

In terms of social recognition, which the vast majority of human beings are interested in obtaining, I think the gap between a Fortuner and an X3 is still much, much smaller than the gap between a Honda Civic and a Click.

And I will be paying cash. If you can't afford to pay for a car in cash I don't think you should be buying it.

Edited by TonySoprano

Or a Ferrari or a Lambo.

In terms of social recognition, which the vast majority of human beings are interested in obtaining, I think the gap between a Fortuner and an X3 is still much, much smaller than the gap between a Honda Civic and a Click.

...wrong again. A top Civic beats that top Fortuner here, even if it's cheaper.

TIT

Or a Ferrari or a Lambo.

TIT

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Or a Ferrari or a Lambo.

TIT

And who cares? A loser is someone who spends more money than they can afford to on a car soley because of what they think other people will think of them.

Or a Ferrari or a Lambo.

TIT

Tony,

Listen: If you pay cash for a new top Honda Civic model, which is appr. 1.100.000 THB and you would drive that car in Thailand, it would be more recognised by Thais as a feudal aspect not to be a loser than if you would drive a top Toyota Fortuner, which would cost you appr.1.500.000 THB.

TIT = This is Thailand

So, do avoiding to be a loser for Thailand's bright middle class buy a top Honda Civic in cash.

For top class Heng is the expert.

Edited by Birdman

Or a Ferrari or a Lambo.

And I will be paying cash. If you can't afford to pay for a car in cash I don't think you should be buying it.

Make sure you pay list price, that way they will for sure know you're not a "loser."

If material possessions make you not a "loser", I wish you the best of luck in life. Anyone with a semblance of self respect is having a ha-ha at your expense right now. Man you're a loser. Have you met the wife's "brother" yet. I am positive he is going to love whatever you can afford to contribute to the economy, be it second hand Honda Civic or what.

Or a Ferrari or a Lambo.

I still have to understand what your mision on this board is.

What more more idiotic post than this one is you can make up?

Edited by think_too_mut

It all depends. Some people would look at a Civic (even the top one) as "I didn't want to spend extra for an Accord..." And plenty would look at a Fortuner as "It's a Hilux Vigo hatchback." I'd say the even among the middle class, if they aren't familiar with a particular brand/make, they won't even know how to tell the difference between the top/mid/base model of a particular car anyway.

Not that it matters what other people think.

Paying cash is the way to go of course... don't forget the Thai proverb as well though... "Lao si lek, jek si din." (Lao folks buy steel, Chinamen buy dirt.) In other words, these steel toys called cars... that will almost inevitably depreciate to ZERO... should be a minute portion of your total net worth.

Edited by Heng

It all depends. Some people would look at a Civic (even the top one) as "I didn't want to spend extra for an Accord..." And plenty would look at a Fortuner as "It's a Hilux Vigo hatchback." I'd say the even among the middle class, if they aren't familiar with a particular brand/make, they won't even know how to tell the difference between the top/mid/base model of a particular car anyway.

Not that it matters what other people think.

Paying cash is the way to go of course... don't forget the Thai proverb as well though... "Lao si lek, jek si din." (Lao folks buy steel, Chinamen buy dirt.) In other words, these steel toys called cars... that will almost inevitably depreciate to ZERO... should be a minute portion of your total net worth.

Added...should lead to 99% of total net worth of said "brother's" total worth. (unless house was bought too, then adjust accordingly)

By all means if you can afford to, please pay cash "especially" go for the Fortuner as that increases net worth of those that were not really named before (pun intended).

On a serious note: one of the few things us Falang can own are in fact vehicles, if bought in proportion to value or out right.

You have a nice day Anthony

Edited by pappy1