My Snake Story

kennkate

Two Weeks Ago. My wife shouted to me to come outside, She was standing in the garden at the back of the house.

I went out to see what it was that she wanted, She said "Snake stay here on the fence".

Well I come from the UK and we only have two snakes one is Green and a Harmless Grass Snake,

The other one as got markings and Venomous,

This one was Green so I thought it will be one of the Harmless ones. My wife said "come away it Bite You die"

Silly woman wanted to Kill it. I said NO and grabed it by its neck in order to throw it onto the land at the rear of the house.

Bad move, trying to get the rest of it off the fence it got me on my other arm,

Immediate reaction so I applied A tornique around my upper arm, I know it's wrong but at My age 60+ I figured if it was Poison and it got to my heart It would be, Goodnight Forever

We only have A motorcycle so I went next door to ask if they would take me to the Hospital in the Pick Up .

I did not think I could hang on to the Motorcycle for the 5 mile journey and told my wife to take the pics so we could show them to the Doctor.

Got to the Hospital and was seen quickly the Doc told A Slim good looking Nurse to get the Injection, She returned with the Injection, It was at that very point I came out of My Daydream.

Went into the house got the camera and TheMossie Spray. Took the pics and the wife gave it A blast with the spray

it turned and went back from were it came

I have Looked at Siam Info Site but still not sure Which Pit Viper.

Snake Expert Anyone ? [attac

hment=80110:P2170604.JPG]

post-53881-1238745223_thumb.jpg

No way is that any kind of viper.

Vipers tend to be short and stubby, although more noticeably that have a very defined triangular shaped head to accommodate their rear fangs.

What's more is that put-vipers are very venomous and so if bitten by one the you WOULD have known about and and would have been in excruciating pain. at best.

I can't be sure but your snake looks quite harmless. But you where lucky this time, the #1 rule is then if you are not sure, keep clear.

Oh, and rule #2.

Never rely on advice from a Thai with regards to how dangerous a snake is. I find it amazing that they aren't aware of the dangerous animals they share their country with.

Edited by Moonrakers

there was another thread about this recently in General, I had the same kind of snake, thai guy saw his reddish brown tail and said very dangerous. it was a viper according to him, same markings on the back. just glad it left.

The snake you had was very different to the one that's posted in this thread. This is a golden tree snake but yours is a green tree pit viper

The tree snake doesn't have the big head that you see on your viper. You should also be able to see heat sensitive pits at the front on the head just above the mouth.

there was another thread about this recently in General, I had the same kind of snake, thai guy saw his reddish brown tail and said very dangerous. it was a viper according to him, same markings on the back. just glad it left.

Oh, and rule #2.

Never rely on advice from a Thai with regards to how dangerous a snake is. I find it amazing that they aren't aware of the dangerous animals they share their country with.

Oh so true.

My mother-in-law and wife freaked out when I picked up a whip snake (insectivore, none venemos) but a couple of weeks later I found a green tree viper in the kitchen, was trying to decide what to do with it when the M-I-L just picked it up and threw it over the garden wall. When I asked why she was scared of the whip snake and not the viper she said, "if the farlang wasn't scared of the first one (which is also green) why should she be scared of the this green one." :D:o

The snake you had was very different to the one that's posted in this thread. This is a golden tree snake but yours is a green tree pit viper

The tree snake doesn't have the big head that you see on your viper. You should also be able to see heat sensitive pits at the front on the head just above the mouth.

I agree with Rikki - it was a golden tree snake. Maybe the odd bluish colour produced by the camera made it look different in the first picture.

Here's a green tree pit viper (from Google images):

green-pit-viper.jpg

I agree with Rikki - it was a golden tree snake. Maybe the odd bluish colour produced by the camera made it look different in the first picture.

green-pit-viper.jpg

That is a Sri Lankan Tree viper. Not found in Thailand.

green-pit-viper.jpg

Whoops, sorry - I should've checked the page from Google images.

This one is probably (:o) the green tree pit viper:

gumprechts_pit_viper.jpg

From here: http://www.greenpacks.org/2008/12/26/1000-...g-river-region/

The OP's snake is clearly a Golden Tree Snake. I just had one in my kitchen this week, but he didn't stay for dinner, too quick. They are usually found migrating from one golden tree to the next.

That Green Tree viper picture is very cool. I think I will make a graphic from it.

Here is another Pic. I want to go with the Golden Tree Snake

Because it is living near my house,

And only mildly Venomous Good thing too.

Just found out they are quite agressive and strike quickly,

And they can Fly glide quite well.

Over To the Snake Men for further deliberation.

I would like to Know !00% if possible

post-53881-1238849959_thumb.jpg

post-53881-1238850194_thumb.jpg

Pappy That's What I was thinking Popes Pit Viper Maybe Maybe not

Anyway It lives I doubt Mossie Spray would Kill it.

Live and let live. I said to my wife why Kill it there are a hundred more out there.

Got bit by one of these in 2007 (Nakhon bumfu**), very painful and my hand swell up like a softball. No medical attention, didn't realize I was bitten until late in the game. I caught it from palm roots from fear for a small puppy barking at it. I put it in a friend's monkey cage after being told "bite you, you die" from gardener. Monkey's had a field day. In hindsight just a friendly visitor in the garden.

Cheers

Oh, Yellow-Lipped Green Pit Viper

post-78676-1238854242_thumb.jpg

I would say that normally I would agree and yes you'd expect a different head but on that snake the pattern and the brownish tail suggest it to be one of the green viper variety.

it's not a viper

vipers head shape is quite different

There are many kinds of green vipers even in Thailand and some of them will have the distinctive brownish tail. Often they have red or yellow eyes and there's that one that they recently discovered which I think is the one you've posted here as a green pit viper. Gumbrechts viper or something like that.

green-pit-viper.jpg

Whoops, sorry - I should've checked the page from Google images.

This one is probably (:o) the green tree pit viper:

gumprechts_pit_viper.jpg

From here: http://www.greenpacks.org/2008/12/26/1000-...g-river-region/

There are Pope's viper pictures as well as Bamboo Pit Vipers that show the brown tail that's visible on bkkjames picture in the other thread.

Pope pit, probably not, but hard to tell from pics for most commonly found snakes. This snake is south and mid-Thailand only.

Two Weeks Ago. My wife shouted to me to come outside, She was standing in the garden at the back of the house.

I went out to see what it was that she wanted, She said "Snake stay here on the fence".

Well I come from the UK and we only have two snakes one is Green and a Harmless Grass Snake,

The other one as got markings and Venomous,

This one was Green so I thought it will be one of the Harmless ones. My wife said "come away it Bite You die"

Silly woman wanted to Kill it. I said NO and grabed it by its neck in order to throw it onto the land at the rear of the house.

Bad move, trying to get the rest of it off the fence it got me on my other arm,

Immediate reaction so I applied A tornique around my upper arm, I know it's wrong but at My age 60+ I figured if it was Poison and it got to my heart It would be, Goodnight Forever

We only have A motorcycle so I went next door to ask if they would take me to the Hospital in the Pick Up .

I did not think I could hang on to the Motorcycle for the 5 mile journey and told my wife to take the pics so we could show them to the Doctor.

Got to the Hospital and was seen quickly the Doc told A Slim good looking Nurse to get the Injection, She returned with the Injection, It was at that very point I came out of My Daydream.

Went into the house got the camera and TheMossie Spray. Took the pics and the wife gave it A blast with the spray

it turned and went back from were it came

I have Looked at Siam Info Site but still not sure Which Pit Viper.

Snake Expert Anyone ? [atta

c

hment=80110:P2170604.JPG]

I agree, golden tree snake. I was chasing these from my neighbors house daily a few months ago. They always were in the same place so I figured there was a nest. When I got tired of chasing them, I opened up the wall and saw a ball of snakes. I reached in with a coat hanger and they all scattered throughout the house. We counted 9 snakes all about 4 feet long. I spent an hour chasing and flinging them out of the house using the coat hanger. My "crazy farang" rep was much enhanced. I was grabbing these things by the tail and hooking them around the body to throw them out. The Thais all called them "green snakes" and everyone knows "green snakes" kill you. I just told people that I tamboon by not killing them. I am still considered crazy but at least they can accept that reasoning.

No need for that. The other suggestions were for bkkjame's picture in the other thread. Not this thread.

It seems people have been associating those suggestions with the picture in this thread.

JESUS CHRIST ! (sorry for shouting)

i tell everyone from the beginning of the thread that it's a Golden Tree Snake, why don't y'all take notice..?!?

i guess most folks cant read/understand english... :o

JESUS CHRIST ! (sorry for shouting)

i tell everyone from the beginning of the thread that it's a Golden Tree Snake, why don't y'all take notice..?!?

i guess most folks cant read/understand english... :D

:o

Thanks, Gossy! Made me laugh! :D