Bkk Venues Biting The Dust.... How Long Will The List Get?

jfchandler

One of the regular BKK emails I receive recently noted the demise of both Tokyo Joe's music bar on Suk Soi 26 and the more girly oriented Tequila Dragon on Suk Soi 7-1... The closure of TJ's has been reported in another TV thread here... But I haven't seen any mention here of Tequila Dragon going under.

Happened to be walking past TJ's location the other day, and all the signage was gone, and workers were actively inside redoing the space. The former bar was gone as were all the prior fixtures to be seen on the ground floor.

The BKK email I received said Pattaya's Secrets bar reportedly was interested in opening a BKK location at the TD site, but was put off by a high rent demand.

Elsewhere in town, I read that the Mambo Cabaret in Washington Square is gone, but that the surrounding Washington Square bars seem to have gotten at least a temporary reprieve from plans to redevelop the area.

What other popular places around town are biting the dust???

One of the regular BKK emails I receive recently noted the demise of both Tokyo Joe's music bar on Suk Soi 26 and the more girly oriented Tequila Dragon on Suk Soi 7-1... The closure of TJ's has been reported in another TV thread here... But I haven't seen any mention here of Tequila Dragon going under.

Happened to be walking past TJ's location the other day, and all the signage was gone, and workers were actively inside redoing the space. The former bar was gone as were all the prior fixtures to be seen on the ground floor.

The BKK email I received said Pattaya's Secrets bar reportedly was interested in opening a BKK location at the TD site, but was put off by a high rent demand.

Elsewhere in town, I read that the Mambo Cabaret in Washington Square is gone, but that the surrounding Washington Square bars seem to have gotten at least a temporary reprieve from plans to redevelop the area.

What other popular places around town are biting the dust???

I think i read in Guru? today a list of a bunch of nightclubs that have gone tits up.

Aura and Synergy (former Sin Bar) off Rajah parking lot on Sukhumvit Soi 4 shut down at end of March. Champagne Bar on the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit (next to Exchange Tower) is now boarded up. Twisted Republic on Soi 11 is gone - soon to be replaced by an Australian Pub and Grill.

At Washington Square, a new pool hall will be going into the former Mambo Cabaret/Studio 22 space - probably opening in May or June.

It is going to be l-o-n-g slow season fora lot of struggling venues.

Indo-Siam

Champagne Bar on the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit (next to Exchange Tower) is now boarded up.

I saw that this week. Never went in there and it always looked dead. It'd only been open a few months too. The sign on one of the metal doors says FOR RENT and the metal door next to it says CLOSED FOR REMODELING or something like that, I think indicating it will re-open in late April. Odds on that? That giant touristy seafood concept thing on the opposite side of Asoke closed a couple of months ago as well. One of the touristy Indian joints on Soi 8 closed a couple of months ago too, I noticed, the one on the left 50m or so in. Mambo might have suffered from a dropoff in Chinese and Korean package tourists, though, heh. Watching the tour bus unload and reload all these befuddled looking vacationers while the krateuy dancers stood around and vamped it up was always entertaining. I walked through Patpong the other day and the bar that had the Elvis and Tom Jones show (Radio City?) was deserted looking and closed, so I guess you can add that to the list. I always found that place funny for some reason.

If there's a bar deadpool I'll go ahead and buy a square for "The Penalty Spot" just on a hunch.

I too noticed the closure of the bar next to the Exchange Tower (Sukhumvit and Asoke). Just in the past few weeks, they'd had billboard's out on the street advertising food and drink specials there, but it did always seem empty... and hadn't been open there that long.... You called it the Champagne Bar.... Wasn't that the name of the still closed place next to/above Bully's Pub near Sukhumvit Soi 2-4???

The Indian restaurant on Suk Soi 8, just a block from Nana BTS, that has just closed I believe was called the Indian Garden. The food there was pretty decent, and they always seemed to have a fair number of mostly Indian customers. But the space is being converted now into a small hotel, and the restaurant owners (who have other restaurants in BKK) supposedly are opening a new place in Pattaya.

Meanwhile, there remain two other existing Indian restaurants (India Today and Namuskaar) within less than one block of that location, and a third and new vegetarian-only place has just opened around the corner on Sukhumvit Road, just under the Nana BTS station, with the name of Aryaa's.... Those and a half dozen other Indian places within less than a 5 minute walk.

Champagne Bar on the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit (next to Exchange Tower) is now boarded up.

I saw that this week. Never went in there and it always looked dead. It'd only been open a few months too. The sign on one of the metal doors says FOR RENT and the metal door next to it says CLOSED FOR REMODELING or something like that, I think indicating it will re-open in late April. Odds on that?

Wouldn't bet on it. Upstairs was supposed to be a members only club where you had to pay a chuckload a money which would get you x bottles of whisky/year free etc. Wonder if anybody paid into this.

You called it the Champagne Bar.... Wasn't that the name of the still closed place next to/above Bully's Pub near Sukhumvit Soi 2-4???

Champagne Room, I think that was - but as far as I know it was the same concept, perhaps the same owners.

You called it the Champagne Bar.... Wasn't that the name of the still closed place next to/above Bully's Pub near Sukhumvit Soi 2-4???

Champagne Room, I think that was - but as far as I know it was the same concept, perhaps the same owners.

It was called Champagne Charlies. I know he owner and asked him about it around two months ago and he said they were changing to the nightclub format. Next time I see him I will ask him.

Just as long as Burboun St in Washington Sq doesn't go bankrupt in the next two months I'll be ok.

Where is Washington Square?

Serious question?

Answer: Washington Square is next to Soi 22 on Sukhumvit Road

Thanks for the answer. I should know better, but I just never knew where it was.

It was called Champagne Charlies. I know he owner and asked him about it around two months ago and he said they were changing to the nightclub format. Next time I see him I will ask him.

i also know the owner, the bar is now for sale.....

On the other hand, a new bar called STRIKERS SPORTS BAR opened last night on Suk. Soi 4 (Soi Nana) directly across from the Golden Beer Bar and the Nana Hotel in a space previously occupied by a jewelry shop. . Same format; open to the street with tables in back, 5 flat screen TV's on the walls and an attractive selection of attentive service girls and hostesses.

They have a happy hour: 4pm to 8pm, (bottled beer: B65) unlike Big Dogs, Morning Night, Lucky Lukes and Golden which charge full price all the time.

On the other hand, a new bar called STRIKERS SPORTS BAR opened last night on Suk. Soi 4 (Soi Nana) directly across from the Golden Beer Bar and the Nana Hotel in a space previously occupied by a jewelry shop. . Same format; open to the street with tables in back, 5 flat screen TV's on the walls and an attractive selection of attentive service girls and hostesses.

They have a happy hour: 4pm to 8pm, (bottled beer: B65) unlike Big Dogs, Morning Night, Lucky Lukes and Golden which charge full price all the time.

Good luck with your bar Dave!

its been open a couple of weeks now, and packed solid day and night ( but i think it is only busy at the moment as they have young chicks and not the old rags like across the road :o )

Back to closures, the Aura rooftop bar and restaurant closed last week after only 6 months in operation. It was located in the Rajah Hotel square area on Sukhumvit Soi 4...........No, I never went there either.

And also The Factory Bar, located inbetween Sukhumvit Soi 5 & 7 went tits up too.

Edited by thecatman