Tuberculosis (tb) Tests When Pregnant

Hi All,

Will shortly be applying for a settlemnt visa to UK. :o

Am preparing all the paperwork and notice that a TB test will be required.

Currently my financee is 16weeks Pregnant.

..Does anyboby know if it is safe for mother & baby to have a TB test while pregnant? Should this be done before a certain number of weeks pregnant, etc??

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Dean.

(Mods, choose to post in 'Visa to other countries' but feel free to move to health / families / or where it should go)

Hi All,

Will shortly be applying for a settlemnt visa to UK. :o

Am preparing all the paperwork and notice that a TB test will be required.

Currently my financee is 16weeks Pregnant.

..Does anyboby know if it is safe for mother & baby to have a TB test while pregnant? Should this be done before a certain number of weeks pregnant, etc??

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Dean.

(Mods, choose to post in 'Visa to other countries' but feel free to move to health / families / or where it should go)

The normal test is done by x-raying the chest. This is not safe for the baby, so your girlfriend will have to tell them she is pregnant. Unfortunately, this means a sputum test and has to be done over a number of days I think. So it's not a single visit to the hospital. Make sure you emphasise to her that she should tell them at the IOM and the hospital that she is pregnant.

An x-ray while pregnant seems to be fine as long as they know your pregnant and use proper shielding and have it during the lower risk period of pregnancy. You should check with your doctor as there are times when an x-ray is not recommended i think before 12 or 15 weeks. At the safest time there is a tiny risk with mental defects, something like .04%

I sent an email to the IOM about this as my daughter-in-law is pregnant. This is their reply

There are 3 possible courses of action for her:

Firstly, although pregnant women are generally discouraged from having X-rays, it is not the case that they cannot have X-rays. All applicants for TB screening are provided with lead aprons to protect them during X-rays. Many pregnant women chose this option as it allows them to receive their TB certificate on the same day, if the X-rays is normal.

Secondly for any pregnant woman who does not wish to undergo X-ray, it is possible to collect sputum samples for TB testing. This requires the productive of Sputum sample in 3 consecutive working days at Bangkok TB cluster. Results are then available on the following working day.

Thirdly, delay Chest- X-ray until after delivery.

Whichever option you choose, you must first telephone UKTBDP to make an appointment for initial registration.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us, either by email ([email protected]) or telephone 02-234-7950

Required Document

1) Valid passport, and copy of the passport;

2) ID Card and copy of the ID card;

For children from 11 – 15 Original birth certificate and copy;

3) Two recent colour photos, size 45mm x 35 mm (not older than 6 months);

4) Ante-Natal Care Book for pregnant women.

The fee is 2600 Baht (Can only be made in cash at the time of registration)

The certificate will be issued on same day if:

-Registration at the IOM office.

-The applicant completed medical chest X-Ray and returned to the IOM office with the result not later than 15.00 and

-Chest X-ray findings do not warrant further examination.

My son called them and they said he would have to sign a paper saying that if the baby was born with any problems he wouldnt be able to sue the hospital that took the x-ray if he decided to go down that route. He didnt and they are in Bangkok at the moment due to go for their first sputum test tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Kate :o

Personally, I'd allow a few extra days and go the sputum route. In all probability there would be no issue, but if the baby was then born with any small problem, you'd always be wondering if it was due to the x-ray for the TB test. Just allow a few extra days and you'll be fine.

I sent an email to the IOM about this as my daughter-in-law is pregnant. This is their reply

[/size]

Firstly, although pregnant women are generally discouraged from having X-rays, it is not the case that they cannot have X-rays. All applicants for TB screening are provided with lead aprons to protect them during X-rays. Many pregnant women chose this option as it allows them to receive their TB certificate on the same day, if the X-rays is normal.

Secondly for any pregnant woman who does not wish to undergo X-ray, it is possible to collect sputum samples for TB testing. This requires the productive of Sputum sample in 3 consecutive working days at Bangkok TB cluster. Results are then available on the following working day.

Thirdly, delay Chest- X-ray until after delivery.[/color]

Whichever option you choose, you must first telephone UKTBDP to make an appointment for initial registration.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us, either by email ([email protected]) or telephone 02-234-7950

Required Document

-The applicant completed medical chest X-Ray and returned to the IOM office with the result not later than 15.00 and

My son called them and they said he would have to sign a paper saying that if the baby was born with any problems he wouldnt be able to sue the hospital that took the x-ray if he decided to go down that route. He didnt and they are in Bangkok at the moment due to go for their first sputum test tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Many thanks Kate, very useful info.

...For the sake of a few extra days, doesn't seem worth taking the risk (however small).

When my pregnant fiance applied for her K-1 visa to USA, they waived the TB test in interest of the fetus. The doctor in BKK signed off on her documents, noting pregnancy, no test... and US immigration had no problem with this.

England may be different... but medical practice among western countries is fairly standard. And then again... this was 7 yrs ago. Wife and child are doing fine.

zippy

[/size]

Thirdly, delay Chest- X-ray until after delivery.[/color]

Required Document

Hope this helps

Many thanks Kate, very useful info.

...For the sake of a few extra days, doesn't seem worth taking the risk (however small).

My wife was 1 week pregnant. She had to do the sputum test over a three day period at TB cluster Bangkok. She had to be at the centre for 7am during the test.As it happend she passed the test got the certificate and pressed on for the settlement visa for the UK which she got automatically because she was pregnant, no interview required.Happy days :o

When my pregnant fiance applied for her K-1 visa to USA, they waived the TB test in interest of the fetus. The doctor in BKK signed off on her documents, noting pregnancy, no test... and US immigration had no problem with this.

England may be different... but medical practice among western countries is fairly standard. And then again... this was 7 yrs ago. Wife and child are doing fine.

zippy

The UK visa process will not allow this test to be waived. They won't accept an application for a settlement visa that does not have a TB certificate included.

My wife was 1 week pregnant. She had to do the sputum test over a three day period at TB cluster Bangkok. She had to be at the centre for 7am during the test.As it happend she passed the test got the certificate and pressed on for the settlement visa for the UK which she got automatically because she was pregnant, no interview required.Happy days :o

Thanks for the info. Am very interested about your comment about getting the visa quickly because she was pregnant.

..How did you make it clear your wife was pregnant on the visa application? Did you just do this in the supporting evidence or was there somewhere actually on the form to record it?

Cheers,

Thanks for the info. Am very interested about your comment about getting the visa quickly because she was pregnant.

..How did you make it clear your wife was pregnant on the visa application? Did you just do this in the supporting evidence or was there somewhere actually on the form to record it?

Cheers,

I think the real question is "How did he know she was only 1 week pregnant?"

The post also mentions that she got a visa automatically because she was pregnant. mmmmm dont think so!!!

Whilst I am happy that your wife got her visa, I can assure you that her being pregnant did not mean that she automatically got her visa! She got her visa because she met the criteria and showed that she did. (Being pregnant is not a criterium for any UK visa.)