What Do You Guys Do For Fun In Thailand?

Livinginexile

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a question for the guys out there that live permanantly in Thailand and don't need to work to suport themselves. I can understand being a family man can keep you busy but what about you single guys?

I've spend various amounts of time in Thailand, never for longer than 3 months after which I can get very bored.

Besides drinking and chasing girls, what do you guys do to stop yourselves from going crazy? Thailand can't all be about sex can it?

Or can it? :D

Drinking a little and chasing girls never get boring with all the pretty girls around, how I have notice some of my good buddies that are getting up in age 80 plus years don't chase anymore the just set back and watch them walk by why WISHING for younger days, one in a great while that will do the little blue pill thing for a little THRILL> :D:o:D

I am moving permanently to Thailand with my Thai family soon and I am interested in how others keep themselves busy.

My gallavanting days are over so that rules out the bars and nightlife. I am the kind of guy that needs to keep busy otherwise I go cabin crazy quickly.

But I know myself. If I settle into a static lifestyle I would put on heaps of weight very quikly, I would turn into a lazy fat slob.

What I read behind all the constructive answers you got and what is behind my own life style is very simple: live here the way you would in the country from which you are coming. Of course, there may be one minor difference in that the visa type might keep you from being a WalMart greeter or Costco/Makro receipt checker.

But other than that, every one I know (whose activities are not confined to the the tourist type) lives effectively the same way they would in their home country.

I find more to do here upcountry than I can find to do in my home country. Let's turn it around. What do you do in your home country to avoid being bored?

I'm of the opinion that if you are bored here, you will be bored wherever you are.

I am retired and live in a Village. No one here speeks English other than my wife.

In the last two years I have been in Thailand more than my own country.

I have read more books in the last two years than I have ever done before.

We don't have Sat TV and Thai TV is Rubbish, Screaming women always fightig each other

We do go to the Pictures when we can that makes a nice change.

I dont know why but Thai Films are much better than the TV

Internet is a must that keeps me occupied for a good part of the day.

BBC I Player gives me the Radio. T Visa Thai News Thats it.

I work but when i dont work i have so much to do.

- fishing

- study thai

- chase my wife

- exercising

- playing with my computer

- going for rides on the bike

- annoying my dogs

- shopping

many other things i really don't get bored here at all.

And for the guy who said genetics will determine how you look.. he is just lazy you can fight genetics and you can keep in shape. I mean with that kind of attitude you probably don't wash your clothes too because they get dirty too.

You can always improve on yourself but yes it takes time and dedication to improve your body.

I've lived here full-time for a year and a half now in BKK, and I've never been bored here...not one minute...not one day.

I don't have a regular office job, but I do spend "work" time at home taking care of my finances in various ways, when I want, how I want. Rarely go to pubs and rarely drinking, unless out for a night out dancing or dining (which we do a fair amount). Like to take short vacation trips often or go out to visit with friends, which I rarely had time to do back in the U.S.

A lot of my time so far has been spent learning about everything new about my new home and country. I want to know how to do things here, and get what I want (whatever that may be). That includes learning the visa ropes and how to manage that whole situation, how to best travel around, where to find things for shopping, how to best handle local banking, etc etc.

A lot of time also lady hunting in the past, but now settled down with one good woman. She has a regular job, so I enjoy spending time taking care of simple home things (like shopping, and laundry and cleaning a bit) so she doesn't have to. That makes her happy when she comes home, and that makes me happy.

Big difference from back in the U.S. in my working days... Here, I can and do exercise almost every day, walking or swimming or bicycling mostly. When I was working full-time, I never had the time or the energy to do that. Enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the morning, read the day's news, listen to some podcast radio shows I like, take care of home things, go out for exercise and shopping..

And at the end of the day, go to meet my GF at her work and come home together... fix and eat dinner together, and spend our evening together...

But the best thing is, while I enjoy the general routine/lifestyle mentioned above, if I wanted to do something else or anything else, I absolutely could. How I choose to spend my time is entirely up to me. And that's the best part of the whole deal.

... retire to the Huntsman terrace have a salad, read the newspapers and then walk to on nut market ...

Huntsman Pub at the Landmark? To On Nut? That's a helleuva walk! My record is Asok to On Nut, about 2 1/2 hours with diversions up interesting sois.

After over 4 years here I can say it is pretty boring. ..

About 20 months ago I decided to undertake the study of the native language spoken by the diminutive, yet ever-smiling inhabitants here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". Now I can now speak, read and to a lesser extent write it, so my day to day interaction with the natives has increased markedly.

Believe me you have to be pretty fr*ckin' bored to undertake the study of ANY "one-horse town" language spoken only by a tiny insignificant country in S/E Asia which most people in the world couldn't find on a map if it was hi-lighted.

I am also working on my PhD in "Idiosyncratic Anthropology"; a relatively newly recognized field of study also known as "Oxymoronic Anthropology". This year I hope to publish a companion coffee-table pictorial book called the "Mating habits of old, fat bald, beer-bellied foreigners and their (in) significant others" <-- working title only.

Pre-order your copy now!! Who knows; maybe you are featured in the book. Every page is a 'suitable for framing' picture of of a foreigner as they staggered drunkenly down the Sukhumvit wearing camo-cargo shorts, 70 baht sandals, and a sweat stained Singha beer singlet. All of them are hand-in-hand with their short, tattooed, pierced, gold encrusted, flat nosed, splayed toed, (in)significant other also know as their "thai in tow". As a bonus some even show foreigners pushing a pram with a thai baby in it as well.

As you can see by my posts, I usually just disparage, and criticize the native inhabitants and other foreigners living here about their lives. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

I also run a cottage-business of writing heart wrenching emotional emails for "time-share-gurls" to their foreign sponsors in other countries, as well as assisting foreigners get their visas sorted out when they are too stupid to understand the rules. Both are good for a few laughs now and again.

Being retired, leaves me bored to tears most days, but probably not as bored as I would be in the US of A. There are far more 'interesting' people to make cynical, acerbic observations about here than there.

Monday: Chase women, go for massages, eat Farang food at restaurants, and mess about on the computer.

Tuesday: Chase women, go for massages, eat Farang food at restaurants, and mess about on the computer.

Wednesday: Chase women, go for massages, eat Farang food at restaurants, and mess about on the computer.

Thursday: Chase women, go for massages, eat Farang food at restaurants, and mess about on the computer.

Friday: Chase women, go for massages, eat Farang food at restaurants, and mess about on the computer.

Saturday: Chase women, go for massages, eat Farang food at restaurants, and mess about on the computer.

Sunday: Is my day of rest, so I only Chase women, and mess about on the computer.

i was having this discussion with a girl in a hotel today, all i do is get out of bed, check the web, play some warcraft, order food or go to paragon/central world, then get back play some more games, maybe meet up witha friend if im lucky enough to have on in the country at the time, then go out to dinner alone, come back and sleep :D

starting to think maybe i need a purpose in life.. i should put my free time to better use :o im 28 and there isnt really too many ppl here my age that dont work, dont study, and if there is i dont know them. but still, im happy here :D

get a job dude, that dosent sound terribly fun, working is the best way to meet people-

Get a bike dude and go adventuring, it's the purest thing to do, you'll meet cool people that way.

I'm only 30 with no (thai) job, just weave the websites and get cash that way :D

I met a 50s' expat american in a bangkok hospital last year who was a liaison volunteer (unpaid job) who assisted farangs with admissions at the hospital and filling out paperwork. He had been doing it for a while and I thought that if I ever got bored and wasnt too desperate for cash, thats what I would like to do. He seemed very happy doing it. So OP, if you ever get too bored, Im sure there is some organiztion that needs your help, especially if you dont need the money.

Depends on where in Thailand you plan to live. If your a country boy like me and end up in BKK your gonna get bored or divorced real quick. If your a city boy and end up in the country?? Jimknights idea is a good un, a bicycle and a little spirit of adventure goes a long way to filling the time, fishing if that's your thing, although I hate those bloody square ponds, NO skill required. Hikings OK but just not really that safe to camp unless you get a friendly farmer to sort you something out, and if your out of your own area you could end up being the local tourist attraction until you move on!! Sometimes fun mostly a pain. Or like most people you'll find here, posting on Thai Visa 555

... retire to the Huntsman terrace have a salad, read the newspapers and then walk to on nut market ...

Huntsman Pub at the Landmark? To On Nut? That's a helleuva walk! My record is Asok to On Nut, about 2 1/2 hours with diversions up interesting sois.

Err, sorry typo... I meant to say walk to On Nut market from On Nut BTS. I have made it as far as Ekamai on foot from soi 8. It's the heat that slows you down.

to be honest ,since we moved here permanantly 3 years ago ,ive been busy doing nothing ,except the computer,the tv,the garden the shopping going for drives ,walking about ,going on the treadmill taking the lad to school ,out to the movies ,watching the wife clean the house in particular wears me out.

i never have been bored for a minute.

Cruise the internet.

Plant new plants in the garden.

Water the garden.

Watch the fish.

Motorcycle North.

Swim.

Bicycle in the city.

Mountain bike in the mountains.

Plan new mountain bike trips with friends.

Work on the bicycle.

Go to Pai.

Find new waterfalls.

Design a house.

Look for affordable land.

Check out new coffee shops.

Watch the birds.

Watch the lizards. (7 kinds at my place alone.)

Read.

Write.

Talk with friends.

Eat new foods.

Keep trying to learn Thai.

Snorkel in the Islands.

Deliver food to the handicapped hospital.

Build RC Model Aircraft.

Fly RC Model Aircraft.

Watch other people fly RC Model Aircraft.

Meditate.

Console friends from the UK about their exchange rate.

There are so many things to do here, so many places to go, I don't see how anyone could ever get bored. It is not a perfect place, but one can find a good life here.

Cruise the internet.

Plant new plants in the garden.

Water the garden.

Watch the fish.

Motorcycle North.

Swim.

Bicycle in the city.

Mountain bike in the mountains.

Plan new mountain bike trips with friends.

Work on the bicycle.

Go to Pai.

Find new waterfalls.

Design a house.

Look for affordable land.

Check out new coffee shops.

Watch the birds.

Watch the lizards. (7 kinds at my place alone.)

Read.

Write.

Talk with friends.

Eat new foods.

Keep trying to learn Thai.

Snorkel in the Islands.

Deliver food to the handicapped hospital.

Build RC Model Aircraft.

Fly RC Model Aircraft.

Watch other people fly RC Model Aircraft.

Meditate.

Console friends from the UK about their exchange rate.

There are so many things to do here, so many places to go, I don't see how anyone could ever get bored. It is not a perfect place, but one can find a good life here.

I think you've hit the nail on the head for me!

It really is about what life you make for yourself.

I can't wait to get over there.

Thanks for that.

I have a good idea for you LIX : PHOTOGRAPHY!

I spent a lot of time in LOS bored silly of the beer and women lifestyle, then I discovered photography which I love.

Living in Asia presents endless oppprtunities for a person armed with a (semi) decent camera. I am just getting into this in a big way and I would really reccommend the Nikon D50 to start of with. I like to plan my routes where I will go to take photo's and just go out and snap away hundreds of pics.

The journey back home is exciting also as you can't wait to see what the results will be like when you view them on your computer. You could even post a blog with your best pics and and add a wee story behind them etc.

I also find learning the language a rewarding challenge.

Excercise (how ever little) will help your motivation in every aspect.

I wish I found this hobby earlier but better late than never.

Just a suggestion ! :o

Well I am retired, married with no children and I am never bored. I think you need a hobby or 2 to keep one busy. I play golf twice a week, volunteer community service as the post service officer at the Korat VFW post and help out widows of veterans get pensions and help disabled vets get benefits. I also have a classic car I tinker on as I use to restore classic cars in the States.

post-25614-1238908070_thumb.jpg

Hello boys and girls,

contrary to popular belief the answers to all your questions and problems are not found at the bottom of the bottle - they're found along the Bang Na Trat highway at Km 13, same soi as Wat Luang Po Dto.

Before I found this place I was bored every weekend here in Bkk (I'm not that much into drinking)

The place is called Taco Lake / Bung Taco and since I found out about it I've never had a single boring weekend.

8 people can ride around tha lake at the same time and the more tricks you learn the more fun it gets.

Here's a short video I put together - when I was bored :o

I hope you'll give it a try

/Eric