Permanent Residency, Pros And Cons

Could anyone list the advantages with a PR. Can you work without a work permit, can you buy land or what are the advantages with a PR. Any disadvantages, could you be taxed on funds/income derived outside Thailand.

The issue of a Permanant Residence certificate means you have qualified to stay.

Unlike the temporary stay visa that most of us have.

If your spouse dies and you have PR you can still stay here, which may not be the case on an ordinary visa.

Yes you can work.

You will get taxed on money brought into Thailand, unless it is taxed already elesewhere,

but that applies anyway if you live here more than 180 days in a calendar year.

You still cannot buy land, that comes with the next step to citizenship.

All in all, not a lot of advantage, but a lot of hassle to get the certificate.

Do a search on "Permanent Residence" and read the previous posts for more info.

I got a PR book.....still need a work permit to work...which is strange to me (I have the right to live here, but not the right to work without permission (just like all other foreigners) and tons of paperwork :o ).....

PR doesnt allow you to buy land in your own name.....

One advantage is that you dont have to show proof of inward remittance of money when you buy a condo..you can use your Baht here (and its a bit easier to get a mortgage......)

I got PR mainly for safety reasons - never know when things change here ... PRs would probably be the last visas they change ... if you got family and money here I'd apply, but the real benefits are not too convincing otherwise.

as said: for me more of a safety paper.

How permanent is the "permanent" residency visa. Any yearly renewals required and how big of a hassle is that?

I guess you dont need a re-entry permit like with an O visa everytime you leave the country?

You must have your PR booked stamped at your local police station every five years. Minimum hassle.

If you leave the country as a PR, you do need a reentry permit. You can get a multiple one good for a year.

It should also be mentioned that PR is a necessary step if your ultimate goal is to attain Thai citizenship.

The issue of a Permanant Residence certificate means you have qualified to stay.

Unlike the temporary stay visa that most of us have.

If your spouse dies and you have PR you can still stay here, which may not be the case on an ordinary visa.

Yes you can work.

You will get taxed on money brought into Thailand, unless it is taxed already elesewhere,

but that applies anyway if you live here more than 180 days in a calendar year.

You still cannot buy land, that comes with the next step to citizenship.

All in all, not a lot of advantage, but a lot of hassle to get the certificate.

Do a search on "Permanent Residence" and read the previous posts for more info.

I would add that a PR requires a work permit if the holder is employed.It is sometimes said that a work permit is easier to obtain with PR but I'm not sure about this.The tax issue is not really relevant since its possible to have PR and spend more than 180 days outside Thailand.All PR holders are subject to Thai tax of course but the position will vary according to individual circumstances.As to PR not being "a lot of advantage" this is usually said by those who don't have it.I personally attach much value to the removal of uncertainty that comes with PR.